Micheal Ferland has arrived

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
@Baxterman is just sour on Ferland because he produced points at a better rate than Monahan at 5v5.

Dude has 23g 45p in his last 80gp, with a lot of time spent in a bottom 6 role and without a ton of PP time.

He's fast, he can hit, he can fight, he can pass, and he can shoot. I'm not sure what more you'd want when looking for a player to complement a skilled first line.

Not particularly genuine.
He played his way off the first line and had something like 12 points in his last 35 games off the top line .

Ferland’s biggest knock has always been his consistency. The guy is a beast, but his off games are so off that he’s almost pressbox fodder.

I hope he put it together in Carolina.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Flyers fan with no vested interest either way, but just what I've observed on here and on CP:

Prior to tarde:
"Fox has a chance to be great! God I hope the Flames can sign him! Fox existing makes up for us giving away a lottery pick for 3rd pairing dman and potentially missing out on Dobson"

After trade
"Fox is crap. Nothing is lost."

giphy.gif

No one is saying Fox is crap. Once it we found out that he had no intention of signing in Calgary, his value to Calgary dropped dramatically. He's a college player that can walk at any time, and this automatically drops his value to a late to mid 2nd, at most.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Yup Aho at center is a play maker who has desperately needed a a guy who can finish and Ferland is that guy which is great.

finish checks* Not sure he is a true goal scorer yet. He is a guy that can finish checks and create room for the more skilled guys.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I agree with this. I think the Flames knowingly downgraded their top line at ES in the hopes of longevity and a better PP (since Lindholm is a RHS, he is something our PP needed more than Ferland, who is also less effective than Tkachuk in that point shot tipping role and our PP had no other RHS)

I think it's a myth that Ferland doesn't drive offense. He's not Gaudreau, few are, but he was driving offense on that line more than Monahan last year. Watch Gaudreau or Monahan's 2017-18 highlights and you'll see more nifty plays by Ferland than by Monahan. If he played Monahan's "stand in the slot" role on the PP he probably outscores Monahan last year.

I really disagree with this. If Ferland was such a great driver of offence, you'd expect him to produce (although at a lesser pace) when taken off the first line. Instead, he seemed invisible until he was moved up to the first line.

Lindholm is clearly the better offensive talent. He has much better stick handling and playmaking ability than Ferland. Ferland is great at what he does, which is agitate, but he's does not have the talent that Lindholm has.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
By "fall" you mean the that he only scored 2 goals in Feb. and Mar? If so, check out Elias Lindholm last year (see below).

I get it. Ferland is inconsistent, but so are most 40-50 point players. If he gets 15+ goals for the season and adds a physical presence, I'll be happy. Anything above that and it's gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Ferland:
Oct: 3G
Nov: 7G
Dec: 5G
Jan: 4G
Feb: 1G
Mar: 1G

Lindholm:
Oct: 2G
Nov: 4G
Dec: 4G
Jan: 4G
Feb: 1G
Mar: 0G

Ones a Cinderella story from nowhere that got hot for 50 games. You are making the assumption that his hot streak is his normal rather than the streaky 3rd liner he was the rest of his career.

The other is a high end prospect that puts up 40 to 45 points as his floor.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I really disagree with this. If Ferland was such a great driver of offence, you'd expect him to produce (although at a lesser pace) when taken off the first line. Instead, he seemed invisible until he was moved up to the first line.

Lindholm is clearly the better offensive talent. He has much better stick handling and playmaking ability than Ferland. Ferland is great at what he does, which is agitate, but he's does not have the talent that Lindholm has.

Lindy isn't this amazing skilled play maker with great hands. He is s forward that is solid at everything. Not great, not good, but solid. A poor mans 2C is where he will csp out at.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Lindy isn't this amazing skilled play maker with great hands. He is s forward that is solid at everything. Not great, not good, but solid. A poor mans 2C is where he will csp out at.

In the same sense that Ferlands a 3rd line grinder?

Serious underrating from both sides here. Your making Lindy sound like Michael Frolik, so far he’s shown superb hands and offensive skills.

Reactions: CF84

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I was clearly kidding. ABBA is the band that nobody admits to liking, yet everyone can sing most of their songs. Mamma Mia is a fantastic musical though and covers many of their hits.

Still, I'm a Tom Petty fan from way back so gotta go with him.

Its all just in jest. Honestly, I don't really care if people know I like Abba. Gotten a few laughs at work, but its not like it makes me feel like any less of a person. Tom Petty made some awesome music though (free fallin was the first song I learned to play with a guitar), shame he passed so soon.

Reactions: Unsustainable

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
In the same sense that Ferlands a 3rd line grinder?

Serious underrating from both sides here. Your making Lindy sound like Michael Frolik, so far he’s shown superb hands and offensive skills.

That's great and all but he hasn't done it consistently as a Hurricane. 3 game sample size vs 5 seasons watching him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ones a Cinderella story from nowhere that got hot for 50 games. You are making the assumption that his hot streak is his normal rather than the streaky 3rd liner he was the rest of his career.

The other is a high end prospect that puts up 40 to 45 points as his floor.

Huh? Lindholm isn't a prospect as he's in his 6th NHL season. Set that aside though as you missed my point. I like Lindholm and he's just about to turn 24 so he's got time to develop and improve even further, I'm just saying he's been very inconsistent and streaky in his 5 NHL seasons.

I understand your point, that Ferland has done it once and it was a hot 50 games that got him his points. I'm just saying that Lindholm hasn't been the model of consistency. Maybe that will change if he sticks with Monahan and Gaudreau as he's never really had that level of talent with him.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Its all just in jest. Honestly, I don't really care if people know I like Abba. Gotten a few laughs at work, but its not like it makes me feel like any less of a person. Tom Petty made some awesome music though (free fallin was the first song I learned to play with a guitar), shame he passed so soon.

Seriously though, if you haven't seen the musical Mamma Mia, you should.

Reactions: Unsustainable

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
If Ferly breaks out in Carolina (I wish him well), its only fair that Canes take Ryan back, right?

Right?

Right...?

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I love Ferly and sincerely hope he has a killer year. With that said, dont expect him to be visible all season or have an impact every game. This is a guy who managed to look completely invisible for stretches while playing alongside players of Gaudreau and Monahan's calibre.

But like I said, I hope he has a great year with the Canes. He's been through a lot and is such an easy guy to cheer for.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I've been saying this for over a year, but I think it's now general knowledge. This guy is quickly turning into one of the best power forwards in the game, and is, IMO, the biggest reason for Johnny Gaudreau's turnaround.

Since he joined the top line, he's turned it into arguably the most productive trio in the league:

Gaudreau 46gp 18g 60p (14 ESG 43 ESP)
Monahan 46gp 22g 49p (13 ESG 36 ESP)
Ferland 43gp 17g 25p (14 ESG 21 ESP)

All 3 of them are top 24 in ESG over that period! That seems insane for one line!

Ferland has recently taken his game to a new level with 7g 10p in his last 10 games, scoring some beautiful snipes along the way. He could have easily had 2-3 more goals last night.

This is something I predicted 2 weeks before he finally got promoted.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/michael-ferland.2186849/

What's really impressive about Ferland is that he's done this with very little PP opportunity and ice time in general until very recently. My math suggests he's top 5 in ES G/60 since getting his promotion. He's just now starting to get true top 6 minutes.

Good call.....

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I love Ferly and sincerely hope he has a killer year. With that said, dont expect him to be visible all season or have an impact every game. This is a guy who managed to look completely invisible for stretches while playing alongside players of Gaudreau and Monahan's calibre.

But like I said, I hope he has a great year with the Canes. He's been through a lot and is such an easy guy to cheer for.

To be fair, Monahan has the exact same reputation of disappearing for long stretches.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Things that get lost in the shuffle.
Ferly's a really good dude, with a really, really harrowing story about perseverance, family and support.

Outside of some weird Flames posters, we really liked the guy. On a personal level he has always been a good dude every time I spoke to him. Unfortunately for Calgary, it was him or Bennett. Bennett has the higher ceiling and is more cost controlled. Calgary couldn't afford Ferland if he had another 20 goal season in Calgary.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Lindholm > Ferland

Please keep in mind that OKG hates Monahan for some reason unknown and will literally twist almost any argument possible to disparage him. Ferland certainly does not drive more offense than monahan, to suggest that is folly.

Reactions: Snakepit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad