Former Bruins Michael Thelvén

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Anyone here remember this guy?

What are you guys memories of him? What did he bring to the ice?

just curious. I have a thing for retired swedes.

Screenshot_12.png

Reactions: Gordoff

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Smooth

just curious. I have a thing for retired swedes
Smooth skating Swede who succumbed to the Boston Bruin Blueliner busted knee tradition. His fellow Swede Mats Thelin was considered a better prospect at the time but Thelven was a much more skilled player. He was a tough little bugger too and would not hesitate to chop an opponent with the lumber. Of course with Byers, Miller , Neely etc. I suppose he could afford to feel that way. After retirement due to the knees he went on to become a player agent and represented the Great Polish hope Mariusz Czerkawski on his arrival to Boston. Derek had this to say.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Im not old enough to have watched at the time but wasn't he really good in 88 and then fell off the map?

And basically 1988 was the only season he and Kluzak were actually healthy and not coincidentally they made a deep playoff run, no?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

just curious. I have a thing for retired swedes.

View attachment 896272
I had season tickets entire time he was here and he was pretty good player

But I will always remember grocery shopping in Danvers next to Twin Rinks and connected to my gym where Bruins practiced and worked out - and running into Thevin shopping in the same section and chit chatting.

Speaking of which the players worked out regularly there and I had Fridays off and would go work out early In the morning and the Bruins had traded for Morris Lukowich

He was a star in wha and even with Winnipeg - not very tall but an absolute rock and strong - got to work out with him and talk hockey - that I had season tix and knew area was definitely a plus; was hoping he’d stick but it went by quick

Really good guy

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I had season tickets entire time he was here and he was pretty good player

But I will always remember grocery shopping in Danvers next to Twin Rinks and connected to my gym where Bruins practiced and worked out - and running into Thevin shopping in the same section and chit chatting.

Speaking of which the players worked out regularly there and I had Fridays off and would go work out early In the morning and the Bruins had traded for Morris Lukowich

He was a star in wha and even with Winnipeg - not very tall but an absolute rock and strong - got to work out with him and talk hockey - that I had season tix and knew area was definitely a plus; was hoping he’d stick but it went by quick

Really good guy

For two seasons the Bruins had both Michael Thelven and Mats Thelin on defense. Is that their name as a combo?

Both Swedes, neither lasted long in the NHL. They were both too small. Thelven was a much better player. Thelin had very little offensive ability.

Moris Lukowich a 65-goal scorer one year in the WHA. Was 2nd team all-star left wing behind only Bruins draft pick Mark Howe.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Smooth

Smooth skating Swede who succumbed to the Boston Bruin Blueliner busted knee tradition. His fellow Swede Mats Thelin was considered a better prospect at the time but Thelven was a much more skilled player. He was a tough little bugger too and would not hesitate to chop an opponent with the lumber. Of course with Byers, Miller , Neely etc. I suppose he could afford to feel that way. After retirement due to the knees he went on to become a player agent and represented the Great Polish hope Mariusz Czerkawski on his arrival to Boston. Derek had this to say.

This is exactly what I remember. He and Mats Thelin (sp) fit in well. Thelvin, was tough enough, and skilled enough to have had a long career but was dealt some tough luck injury-wise.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Liked Thelven a lot, effective, dirty with a good skill level. Very underrated on that D that had Bourque, rookie Wesley, last year of a relatively healthy Kluzak, he slotted in nicely with Larson, Pederson, Thelin in the 4-6 roll. ( and of course the late season and playoff appearances of Bruce Shoebottom)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad