Metropolitan Standings Predictions Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
This one is easier than the Atlantic, imo.

NJ
NYR
Carolina
NYI
Pittsburgh
Columbus (will surprise people)
Washington
Philly
CBJ over Washington is wild.

Washington's dcore and goaltending is levels above, and CBJ lacks talent at forward.

Caps are a weird one. They made the playoffs with 91 points last year and added Dubois, Mangiapane, Chychrun, Roy and Thompson.

They are a better team on paper at every position... but I still don't really know what to expect.
Caps were not good last year, but have gotten quite a bit better.

I'd slot them in above NYI, but if Sorokin is what he was in 22-23 and Washingtons lower pedigree goalie tandem struggles, they'd fall below

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
NYR
NJD
CAR
PHI
NYI
PIT
WSH
CBJ

NJ fixed some roster holes and their young guns will be more consistent and are learning what it takes to win.

Pitts is older and slower and continue the decline

Phi gets some new pieces and sees a bump with their lovable coach getting the most out of their roster.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Before the tragedy, I might've said Columbus seventh over Philly if a couple young guys breakout and having a real defensive system in place helps Elvis. Now, not so much.

1. NYR - most complete team in the division
2. CAR - I believe in Brind'Amour's ability to keep them playing at a high level
3. NJ - I don't know that I trust Markstrom or Keefe, but we'll see
4. NYI - unless Sorokin sucks again, then switch them and WAS
5. WAS- I don't really like either of their additions but they're still probably better than the rest of the div
6. PIT - They're just meh. 90ish points. Squishy middle team.
7. PHI- mid-to-bad defense, almost no offense, the likely Calder winner, but that lack of goaltending might kill them
8. CBJ - I just don't see them overcoming the tragedy, let alone the loss of their 1LW and one of the only vets on the roster

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
1. NYR - Shesterkin is too good and special teams will carry them again.
2. CAR - Brindamour knows how to coach
3. NJ - Keefe, Dillon, Pesce, healthy Hughes and Hamilton. Markstrom and Allen. Hard not to see improvement.
4. WAS - I like their off season even though last year was flukey.
5. NYI - Meh. Who's gonna score?
6. PIT - Old but Sid could carry them, he was still great last year.
7. PHI - Team is all over the place, no idea what to make of them.
8. CBJ - Lost year to retool considering the trajedy

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
1 - NYR - Not many changes in the offseason, plus Igor/Quick returning.
2 - NJ - If Markstrom plays like they Devils hope he does, the Devils will be much better this year.
3 - CAR - Lost too many players to free agency this offseason. They'll still be good.
4 - NYI - They're just up here because of Sorokin.
5 - WSH - They got lucky last year, kind of in the same boat as PIT.
6 - PIT - Old, slow roster. Sid can't do it all.
7 - PHI - Torts can't save this team.
8 - CBJ - Tragedy aside, this is year one under Waddell, so they are gonna need some time to rebuild.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
The top dogs

1. RANGERS - A complete, deep team that is perfect for regular season.
2. DEVILS - Another deep team that will benefit from the coaching change.
3. CANES - Best of the rest. Brindy remains a major asset.

The middle of the pack fighting for scraps

4. PENGUINS - Somehow, they'll manage.
5. ISLES - Some nice pieces but they need a new vision.
6. FLYERS - They should be in the playoffs race until late in the season but I don't see it happening.

The lottery squad

7. JACKETS - They've lost their two best forwards and replaced their idiotic GM with another idiot. But I expect the players to stick together.
8. CAPS - LOL. Garbage team "led" by a me-first captain who is completely cooked.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Before the tragedy, I might've said Columbus seventh over Philly if a couple young guys breakout and having a real defensive system in place helps Elvis. Now, not so much.

1. NYR - most complete team in the division
2. CAR - I believe in Brind'Amour's ability to keep them playing at a high level
3. NJ - I don't know that I trust Markstrom or Keefe, but we'll see
4. NYI - unless Sorokin sucks again, then switch them and WAS
5. WAS- I don't really like either of their additions but they're still probably better than the rest of the div
6. PIT - They're just meh. 90ish points. Squishy middle team.
7. PHI- mid-to-bad defense, almost no offense, the likely Calder winner, but that lack of goaltending might kill them
8. CBJ - I just don't see them overcoming the tragedy, let alone the loss of their 1LW and one of the only vets on the roster
What are either additions? They had more than 2 additions.

Not trying to be a dick, I'm just curious.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
What are either additions? They had more than 2 additions.

Not trying to be a dick, I'm just curious.
I guess I should've said major additions. I meant specifically PLD and Chychrun. Kuemper won't be your starter and Roy is a meat-and-potatoes player who makes you more stable but doesn't make you better if that makes sense.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
would think rangers canes devils in some order barring injuries and what not.

After that is a crapshoot of anybody in any order

literally as I posted this I see Luke Hughes out 6-8 weeks. Will that sink the devils, not likely but combine that with a few other key players and it can bring the devils from sure playoff team to what they were last year.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I guess I should've said major additions. I meant specifically PLD and Chychrun. Kuemper won't be your starter and Roy is a meat-and-potatoes player who makes you more stable but doesn't make you better if that makes sense.
I hear you. I’m hoping Roys stable game helps Chychrun or Sandin do better next year. If not he could be part of a shut down role with Fehervary.

And hopefully PLD ends up a major addition like you said, instead of the 40 point 3C we saw last year.

Reactions: squashmaple

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I hear you. I’m hoping Roys stable game helps Chychrun or Sandin do better next year. If not he could be part of a shut down role with Fehervary.

And hopefully PLD ends up a major addition like you said, instead of the 40 point 3C we saw last year.
I watched the only good years of his career so far, or at least the only ones where he seemed to care. Maybe playing with Ovechkin unlocks him the way playing with Panarin did.

Reactions: um

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Locks:
NYR/CAR

Questionable: NJD (they still haven't officially shaken Loser Stank off) ; on paper they're at least M3 but they're not over the hump yet

The bubble:
NYI/WSH/PIT

WSH and PIT are the big mystery;
can WSH's trades and youth bring in Offense and better D w/Chychrun + Roy;
can Sid/Geno/TheTang/EK65/Rust (and no Guentzel) carry them (and who will help scoring in the middle-6)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If the Pens have a functional PP, they could make it.

Having said that, they seem to have done dick all to address the issue, work on it, or even acknowledge it is something that should be a priority, so they likely will lose a tonne of games this year because their PP goes 0 for 20 including five 2-man advantages.

Stupid ass stubborn coach.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ok, no worries. I ain’t miss Cleo. Just a prediction from a random fan.

Wait. Doesn’t that mean you pretty much are Miss Cleo, you know, minus the raging fraud?

If the Pens have a functional PP, they could make it.

Having said that, they seem to have done dick all to address the issue, work on it, or even acknowledge it is something that should be a priority, so they likely will lose a tonne of games this year because their PP goes 0 for 20 including five 2-man advantages.

Stupid ass stubborn coach.

Didn’t they fire their pp coach?

I don’t know where this optimism for the pens is coming from. They’ve been unusually healthy and still missed the playoffs these past two seasons. And they’re old.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I have Carolina missing the playoffs - Slavin or Aho miss any time and it could get uglier

Devils, Rangers, Islanders from the Metro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad