Metaphor: ReFantasio (PS4/PS5, XSX/XSS, PC)

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Looks amazing, but I'm way too deep into replaying Monster Hunter World right now.

Definitely will be getting it at some point.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Doesn't shock me honestly. Persona games generally review well but a lot of people don't like how some of the story beats are a bit creepy/weird. Teachers creeping on students, heavily implied sexual relations between the protag and his teacher, etc so it feels like those games will always be niche because of it.

After playing this, the thing I took away from it is it's essentially Persona, but with a dark fantasy setting. That's generally going to be an easier sell for a wider audience imo.

Combine that with Atlus's JRPG mechanics and you got the probable game of the year.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I played like two hours of the demo and was immediately sucked in.

I usually stay away from anything that could be considered anime/weebish since i never really cared for it outside of the newer Final Fantasy games, but gave this a shot since the worst a demo could cost me is my time. Shit had me interested right away. Interesting political undertones, classic vibe of randos having to slay what is essentially a demigod like figure, deep class/bond system. Instabuy.

Persona didn't click with me because of the weirdness/it being a high school social life sim. This basically takes care of my biggest disconnect.

Reactions: Jovavic

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I played like two hours of the demo and was immediately sucked in.

I usually stay away from anything that could be considered anime/weebish since i never really cared for it outside of the newer Final Fantasy games, but gave this a shot since the worst a demo could cost me is my time. Shit had me interested right away. Interesting political undertones, classic vibe of randos having to slay what is essentially a demigod like figure, deep class/bond system. Instabuy.

Persona didn't click with me because of the weirdness/it being a high school social life sim. This basically takes care of my biggest disconnect.
You might also like the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games, they don't have the life sim stuff and focus more on combat and the creature collecting aspect. SMT V's combat system is way better than Persona 3-5's and I believe Metaphor borrows some aspects from it (Press Turn icons).

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I started the demo today and yea, they unsurprisingly cooked.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I never had any doubt that they would knock it out of the park.

People associate Hashino with the more recent mainline Persona games that are high school simulators but he has been involved in many Atlus projects since the late 90s. I am talking projects like Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga and Catherine which are great and very different then the Persona high school sims.

So he is not and never has been someone who stuck to a single style who knows nothing else. He just took elements from different projects he worked on and used them to make Metaphor: ReFantazio.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Some of the localization in this game feels pretty heavy handed. I can’t imagine the original Japanese is quite this unsubtle when it comes to modern western buzzwords.

Very fun so far though. The difficulty is closer to SMT than Persona, I’m playing on Hard and I might lower it.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Something I'm seeing a lot of people somehow miss regarding the story (because it's pretty obvious from the prologue) is that the Utopia of More's book is the real world where there is only one "tribe" which literally in Japanese is "race". In the fantasy setting there are many different sentient human-like species dreaming of a world where there is only one human species (homo-sapien) and naively thinking how everything must be great there because of that. Since Hashino has said the main theme of the game is anxiety and not racism, I'm gonna assume the general thrust of the plot is something like "things like race/class divide, etc are all external manifestations of deeper anxieties shared across all humanity" which is something the people learn near the end of the game or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad