News Article: Mendes: Senators' problems were bigger than Jason Spezza

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
That is garbage. First Redden NEVER played with Phillips ever as a pairing. They play the same side.

Philchenkov was our number one pairing when we we to the STANLEY CUP FINALS.

Did you even cheer for this team post lockout? Phillips was an awesome D with both Chara and Volchenkov as partners.

I agree, Phillips was great. I didn't say otherwise. I said he was never a #1 guy.

If I remember correctly, Redden + Meszaros was our top pairing for our cup run.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Age has nothing to do with whether a player becomes a first line d.

He doesn't have the head on his shoulders to be a consistent succesful first liner on a good team.

My point was that many very good defenceman arent even in the NHL at 23...Cowen already has 200 games under his belt. IMO he is vastly better than he was last year and is developing quite well.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Of course they have improved, other than Dallas who are significantly worse with Spezza. Shots on goal are up, shots against are down, turn overs are down, take aways are up, consistency is way up since we got a new coach, and the team is significantly faster and are better at breaking out of their end.
Meanwhile Spezza on most nights is a non-factor, secondary player who is basically only on the team due to the PP.

The only thing this team needs right now is a solid D-man.

Spezza is just a PP factor? U probably haven't even seen a single Stars game:laugh:

The damage-control in the fan base when it comes to Spezza is so immense that it's pathetic. The team completely failed to replace their #1 center. That's it, and that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Spezza is just a PP factor? U probably haven't even seen a single Stars game:laugh:

The damage-control in the fan base when it comes to Spezza is so immense that it's pathetic. The team completely failed to replace their #1 center. That's it, and that's all.

Turris and spezza are pretty comparable points wise this season. So to say we completely failed to replace him is not true. Have we replaced 93 point spezza no. But it seems we have replaced 2014 spezza. And I'm a spezza supporter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Redden & Mesz were our top PP guys, but Phillips/Volch were the #1 pairing for even strength AND PK in both minutes & shifts, as well as assignments.

Right, so Redden had most TOI for our cup run and is who I would consider our #1. Phillips was our #2 at that point after being clear #3 while Chara was in Ottawa.

The year after our cup run is when Phillips became our #1, this is also when our team started to fall apart.

I think many people are taking my comments the wrong way. I'm a big Phillips fan and I think he was great. But he wasn't asked to be a top pairing guy until after Chara left and his time there was short lived and not very impressive IMO.

Looking back at his career, I don't think it's fair to say he was a top pairing guy when he had that position for such a short amount of time and only after we lost Chara and Redden.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I definitely don't remember Phillips beings our number 1 d. I remember him being a very good defenceman. Just not a number one.

Although. Redden did leave in 08. So by process of elimination. Phillips would have been our number one for the 08-09 season. Who else would have there been?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Right, so Redden had most TOI for our cup run and is who I would consider our #1. Phillips was our #2 at that point after being clear #3 while Chara was in Ottawa.

Redden played 25 seconds more per game than Phillips did. The only reason he got more ice time in total was because of power play time.

Both Phillips and Volchenkov had more even-strength time, while playing roughly the same total TOI as Redden, which is how I would define a #1 D pairing.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Redden played 25 seconds more per game than Phillips did. The only reason he got more ice time in total was because of power play time.

Both Phillips and Volchenkov had more even-strength time, while playing roughly the same total TOI as Redden, which is how I would define a #1 D pairing.

Sure, but I feel like we're getting into a needless argument. It's still only one season throughout a very long career. It's also a season where he had a very strong supporting cast.

IMO he was better throughout his career when he didn't have to be relied on as our #1 guy, a role I never felt he lived up to, I feel the same about Spezza too, it doesn't mean I'm disrespecting the player nor is it worth nitpicking over a few seconds TOI.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Who cares about Jason Spezza everyone here should just move on

I suppose that the people posting here care to some degree.

Just a guess though.

Perhaps you should model the 'everyone just moving on' behaviour by not posting in this thread anymore.

Just thought though.

Xamar*

I suppose that the people posting here care to some degree.

Just a guess though.

Perhaps you should model the 'everyone just moving on' behaviour by not posting in this thread anymore.

Just thought though.

I posted a grand total of once :laugh: it's been almost 7 months since Spezza was traded and yet people are still arguing about the CASH line and Philchenkov :shakehead. That's pretty pathetic dude and I can post wherever I want whenever I want when I see Sens fans wasting they're time dwelling on things that we'll never be able to change, nor have any implications on us today as of January 24,2015. It's the same Spezza discussion over and over and over do any of you get tired of it?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I posted a grand total of once :laugh: it's been almost 7 months since Spezza was traded and yet people are still arguing about the CASH line and Philchenkov :shakehead. That's pretty pathetic dude and I can post wherever I want whenever I want when I see Sens fans wasting they're time dwelling on things that we'll never be able to change, nor have any implications on us today as of January 24,2015. It's the same Spezza discussion over and over and over do any of you get tired of it?

Um... I think the people are tired of the discussion don't bother coming to the thread discussing it, and the ones that do, well, they do. But I'm sure everyone here appreciates your opinion on what they find interesting, I know I do.

And,

Yes, your constitutional rights aren't being infringed on, blah, blah, blah...

Yes, once is often enough when it's a lame post. It is, of course, my constitutional right, blah, blah, blah...

But,

What IS lame, is you coming into a thread involving Spezza, and telling everyone that they should just move on and stop talking about Spezza. How about you be a benevolent better and just leave these pathetic folk alone, and go troll one of the enlighten threads where you clearly belong...

You're being so undude, dude...

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Um... I think the people are tired of the discussion don't bother coming to the thread discussing it, and the ones that do, well, they do. But I'm sure everyone here appreciates your opinion on what they find interesting, I know I do.

And,

Yes, once is often enough when it's a lame post. It is, of course, my constitutional right, blah, blah, blah...

But,

What IS lame, is you coming into a thread involving Spezza, and telling everyone that they should just move on and stop talking about Spezza. How about you be a benevolent better and just leave these pathetic folk alone, and go troll one of the enlighten threads where you clearly belong...

That was the most graceful fly swat ever. :laugh:

Xamar*

And,

But,

This is a discussion forum. If everyone that agreed with each other stayed in their own threads there would be no discussion whatever just everyone agreeing and yes man'ing each other. That's not what Internet forums are about so no I won't run away from a discussion I don't agree with like some passive scared loser. Sorry if a dissenter like me makes an authoritarian like you mad I understand I'm a threat to your very existence.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
This is a discussion forum. If everyone that agreed with each other stayed in their own threads there would be no discussion whatever just everyone agreeing and yes man'ing each other. That's not what Internet forums are about so no I won't run away from a discussion I don't agree with like some passive scared loser. Sorry if a dissenter like me makes an authoritarian like you mad I understand I'm a threat to your very existence.

You aren't disagreeing about a point within the topic. You are saying the topic should not exist, and calling down the people who participate in it. That is not challenging viewpoints, it is simply being a <insert something that could easily get a person infracted here>.

Xamar*

You aren't disagreeing about a point within the topic. You are saying the topic should not exist, and calling down the people who participate in it. That is not challenging viewpoints, it is simply being a <insert something that could easily get a person infracted here>.

Calling who down ? All I said was we should just move on. Is that considered calling people down? In my viewpoint this same convo has gone too long but I'm "<insert something that could get a person infracted here>" for expressing my opinion that perhaps that convo has run its course? Well I guess im sorry for being so rude then ?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Calling who down ? All I said was we should just move on. Is that considered calling people down? In my viewpoint this same convo has gone too long but I'm "<insert something that could get a person infracted here>" for expressing my opinion that perhaps that convo has run its course? Well I guess im sorry for being so rude then ?

A dissenter???! THAT'S why I'm feeling like my very existence is threatened!

Now, rise above us all and show us the way to moving on, and, you know, move on. There are so many other threads with poor souls needing saving from the machine.

There's a great Monty Python Sketch that would fit here I think.

"Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad