OT - NO POLITICS Memorial Day & Here Comes Summah edition

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I gave my sister one last year and she loves it.

On a related note, get the Merlin app if you don’t have it. I sit on my porch and have it identify birds by sound.
View attachment 883718
That is so funny, we found out about that app a couple of weeks ago. We were walking our favourite trail and a couple there were so excited to tell us about it. Their grandson works in bird research and travels the world studying birds. He installed it for them. We downloaded it right there and it is amazing!!

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
That is so funny, we found out about that app a couple of weeks ago. We were walking our favourite trail and a couple there were so excited to tell us about it. Their grandson works in bird research and travels the world studying birds. He installed it for them. We downloaded it right there and it is amazing!!
It’s so cool and works so effortlessly, you can’t wait to tell someone about it!! All of those birds (and more) in that screenshot were identified in just a few minutes.

Reactions: Ladyfan and caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It’s so cool and works so effortlessly, you can’t wait to tell someone about it!! All of those birds (and more) in that screenshot were identified in just a few minutes.
It is cool, we love it. We get about 25 different birds along the trail with the odd rare one. I had no clue there so many different ones there because they are not easy to see.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Eeeeewww

Attachments

• IMG_2701.jpeg
    IMG_2701.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 1

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
black bear buffet

So far so good. Birds cant taste ‘hot’. They dont have taste buds for that sensation.
While all mammals will hate this stuff. The raccoon lasted about 10 seconds mostly sniffing. My dog went near and started sneezing. I just have to remember to wash my hands real good after filling the feeder.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Had a pretty good thunderstorm come through last night around 3am....seems to have cooled off a bit. The fans are doing a great job inside.

Its been downpouring here off and on which I dont mind however when im at work and forget my hoodie or umbrella in the car its no bueno

I wish it would downpour on a day off. Nothing more relaxing than smoking on the porch, with rain and gloomy weather over the water.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
We went for our trail walk at 8:00 am and it was like a sauna, way too hot! On a positive note, the chipmunks were super friendly and I even had a Downy Woodpecker feed from my hand - I was a bit nervous seeing those talons and beak up close, but it was very gentle.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I didn't get the 911 alert, which is weird I suppose. Everybody in ear shot had their phone go nuts, so I heard about it all the same.

This heat is already lame. Still haven't put the AC in the window and the electric bill was already $220+ last month, for 900 sq ft!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I didn't get the 911 alert, which is weird I suppose. Everybody in ear shot had their phone go nuts, so I heard about it all the same.

This heat is already lame. Still haven't put the AC in the window and the electric bill was already $220+ last month, for 900 sq ft!

You may need to have the feature enabled on your phone.

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Definitely have it enabled on your phone. Very important to have.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Even I got it and I'm not in MA
it actually mistakenly went out region-wide as each state has its own 9-1-1 SYSTEM..... Sometimes you get a shelter in place notification multiple ways.... but TV/Phone ARE the most common it's happened here twice.... in the last 7 months....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad