Meltzer article is a fair one !

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
How sad is it that the shooters are not even scoring on Hextall Jr.? Are they really that pathetic?

Also I look forward to seeing Various on D. He should provide a boost to this moribund blue line corps.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
agree with article about having chances to blow game wide open later in second but didnt finish. its like we thought it was over and we were too casual...just flipping the puck on net on a couple close in chances....this team has to play desperate for 60 minutes to beat anybody in this league.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Things I'm tired of hearing:

"Have to play a full sixty minutes." or some version of that YEAR after YEAR.

You are pros, right? Right?

Meltzer is a measured guy-- to basically say they flat out quit skating or trying-- coming from him. Pretty damning.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
Bill is quite knowledgeable, and is deeply appreciated around these parts. Bill, if you're reading, and we know you lurk, thanks for all the hard work. As someone who doesn't get to watch many of the games, I enjoy your write-ups and thoughts very much. I know I am not alone in that regard.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Meltzer is a measured guy-- to basically say they flat out quit skating or trying-- coming from him. Pretty damning.

Seconded. Sure, there is going to be ebb and flow in a game, but to be so overmatched in the 3rd period of a game is unacceptable. And we are not even taking into account the multiple missed opportunities by the Canadiens and the huge saves by Emery to allow them to even get to IT.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

I feel like the 60 minute thing has been a theme ever since John Stevens was coach. I agree it is extremely annoying and old. But sometimes I think it's used as an excuse when the team just flat out sucks.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The 60 minute thing is a cliche. It's a lazy way of interpreting what happens on the ice. There's two teams out there, and the team doesn't just "stop trying". It's just that they have only been a decent team the last few years, and teams that are just decent don't often dominate games for 60 minutes.

Being able to play consistently at a high level is the mark of a good team and a good player, not the mark of a team that "tries hard". This team just isn't that great from top to bottom right now

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The 60 minute thing is a cliche. It's a lazy way of interpreting what happens on the ice. There's two teams out there, and the team doesn't just "stop trying". It's just that they have only been a decent team the last few years, and teams that are just decent don't often dominate games for 60 minutes.
Exactly. I hate the "they need to play 60 minutes" line. It's lazy. And impossible. Two teams are out there trying to play 60 minutes.

A better line would be "they need to play all three periods". Win each period, win the game. You're not going to be controlling the game for all 60 minutes.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I like the article because I think it does a good job of showing the team's weaknesses. Unfortunately, the defense problem can't be remedied until/unless our prospects become full timers. That'll be 4 years or so.

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
HockeyCentral on SportsNet today touched on the Flyers. They basically said that management won't admit it, and the fans won't want to believe it, but this year is a transition year for the Flyers. They basically said what everyone has been saying, The defense needs a make over, but why try to overhaul the D with solid prospects on the cusp. And B schenn is in a make or break year that may not pan out.

D needs a makeover, but why sell our future for now? Feels like we've been doing that dance for awhile now. Love how we took it to the Bruins and the first 2 periods of the Montreal game. Bad puck luck, but I've enjoyed the games. It's easier to swallow knowing you can't do anything about it until the prospects are ready.

I also enjoy not holding my breath on every shot, like when Bryz was in net. Mase and Emery have been better than I expected so far in preseason and through these games

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
HockeyCentral on SportsNet today touched on the Flyers. They basically said that management won't admit it, and the fans won't want to believe it, but this year is a transition year for the Flyers. They basically said what everyone has been saying, The defense needs a make over, but why try to overhaul the D with solid prospects on the cusp. And B schenn is in a make or break year that may not pan out.

It is a transitional 2-3 years, honestly. Trying to treat the games as individual contests only to get some fun out of them and this year. Time to watch the Phantoms and Juniors. Tempered expectations.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware

D needs a makeover, but why sell our future for now? Feels like we've been doing that dance for awhile now. Love how we took it to the Bruins and the first 2 periods of the Montreal game. Bad puck luck, but I've enjoyed the games. It's easier to swallow knowing you can't do anything about it until the prospects are ready.

I see this as a transition year as well but, I think it is time to move both Schenn's in a package for a player like Tyler Myers.
Frankly, I do not see an upside to holding onto the Schenn's, their value can only diminish playing for Berube.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad