Meeting with Geoff Molson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Tell him to stop catering to the media and start catering to the FANS!!!!

The media do not buy tickets and merchandise, the fans do!

Hire the best people available not the best French people available.

If the media objects he should ask them if they want to interview a French coach of the team or a coach of a winning team.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for French candidates for all positions if they are the best candidates above everyone else.

That.. RDS biases aren't the voice of the people.. And I know there was people causing a fuss in front of bell centre last time they had an English coach.. But it was 200 people at most, and probably mostly just hardcore sovereign people with a political agenda not necessarily habs fans.

I got VIP tickets to an alumni game this weekend get to be in dressing room with Guy Lafleur and Carbo first intermission.. Hoping to get to ask them what they think of it all off camera.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
please include this. This by default will void all language preferences. Hire the best brains in the business. Be the Oakland A's of NHL but with a big budget to work with.

Maybe some of you amazing nerds can refer the OP to some sites.

Think for a second why advanced stats for baseball and hockey are so far apart with regard to relevance.

Keep in mind that Subban and Murray have almost identical GA/60 numbers as you ponder that.

plafleur10

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
1) Extreme Incompetence at the GM level from 1995 to 2012 (18 years) , R Houle, Gainey, Gauthier, etc, only bright spot was Andre savard but they let him go for Gainey
2) very poor coaching and player development, particularly J Martin and M Therrien old school coaches misadapted to today's Young players, destroying their confidence (ex: Subban, Eller, etc) by 1) pushing ultra defensive hockey 2) by being too hard on them 3) doing what old school coaches do, relying WAY too much on vétérans
3) trading away too many draft picks, particularly 2nd rounders
3) drafting WAY TOO MANY SMALL players, even last year with 6 premium picks, three more spent on midgets Lekkhonen, Reway, Andrighetto, who skill is admittedly tempting but who end up too Under-sized to ever star in the NHL

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Think for a second why advanced stats for baseball and hockey are so far apart with regard to relevance.

Keep in mind that Subban and Murray have almost identical GA/60 numbers as you ponder that.

I never suggested the stats means as much to hockey as baseball. What your line of thinking suggests is to simply discredit stats analysis in hockey.

I and many others believe those in charge who are paid the big bucks should be fully capable and willing to apply stats in conjunction with traditional analysis.

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
If I were you I would tell him that the Vets we have right now arent the one who are going to make us win a cup... So to work hard on the development and confidence of Price,Subban and Galchenyuk. I thought it would be a given that Galchenyuk would practice faceoffs with the centers in practice... so he can transition to center without everyone ******** on him that he cant win faceoffs

Saintpatrick*

That.. RDS biases aren't the voice of the people.. And I know there was people causing a fuss in front of bell centre last time they had an English coach.. But it was 200 people at most, and probably mostly just hardcore sovereign people with a political agenda not necessarily habs fans.

I got VIP tickets to an alumni game this weekend get to be in dressing room with Guy Lafleur and Carbo first intermission.. Hoping to get to ask them what they think of it all off camera.

Exactly. This team caters too much to those people and not towards common sense and getting the right person for the job. Daigneaut, Brisbois and Therrien shouldn't have jobs imo and wouldn't in any other organization in the NHL.

MTLAzzurri

Mar 2, 2013
Exactly. This team caters too much to those people and not towards common sense and getting the right person for the job. Daigneaut, Brisbois and Therrien shouldn't have jobs imo and wouldn't in any other organization in the NHL.

How do you say "affirmative action" in french?

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
'by thanking him for holding season tickets for many years"

You're talking more than just 300 -400 bucks a year eh.....for example seats in the red are what ? around $20,000 a season?

Man, 20k to a big company (presuming it's a big company) is bug all. Look, Geoff doesn't want to piss off his season-ticket holders and word does travel fast, especially in this day and age. But Geoff Molson also knows you can't please everyone in life and if ABCDE Inc says they don't want to renew the tickets, FGHIJ Inc. will pony up the money.

Geoff Molson will likely agree with everything your boss has to say. "Galchenyuk should be a centre, and Daniel Briere was a poor singing."...."Oh man!, I know eh? What's going on with Eller? This team needs to pick it up!"....."Our tickets are way to expensive"....."Tell me about it!".....As a private company he'll be under no obligation to tell you why.

This is nothing more than a meet and greet. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if he brought a player or two! Molson probably enjoys this kind of stuff. Gets him out of the office, gets to talk habs, gets a new business contact (not that he really needs it), gets to look like a good owner that's also a fan.

The Gal Pals

Breaking Hab
Oct 28, 2006
Here's what I would tell them:

#1 - Size Matters: we've drafted small and we've signed small players. It's an embarrassment especially against the tougher teams (i.e. remember the beat down in Beantown a few yrs back)
#2 - Style of Play: coaching styles have not been a good fit for the make-up of the team. This is largely related to the first point. Small guys can only do so much against bigger teams.
#3 - Asset Management/Conversion: the Habs have been above average drafters but have been terrible in converting some of those assets to top tier players or top picks (i.e. Gomez trade (nay) vs. Rivet trade (yay))
#4 - Character - this has been lacking in previous yrs but is being addressed with the type of players being brought in. I trust the current management to fix this issue.
#5 - Player Development and taming the beast: the current coaching staff is stifling the young players on this team by making them play in a box and cutting their icetime in favour of "safer bets" with less talented vets when they don't do exactly what the coach says. Coaching staff needs to let young players (i.e. Subban, Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival, Leblanc) be themselves and make mistakes.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Make Molson smile. Here's how:

Presenting The Montreal Canadiens Palindrome - A fan should give Geoff Molson advice to tune out advice from fans.

Seriously Geoff, the problem with running a business under a public spotlight is that it's intimidated your organization into giving the media a de facto seat in the boardroom. That's not a recipe for winning. No one can run a business with 8-million people hovering over them. Sure, we all know the cultural significance of the Habs, we know the customers pay the bills, we know it's hard to ignore the crying and yelling of millions of people on every radio station and in every journal in the province.

But deep down, all of us -- you, us, the media -- understand a winning team must be built over time. We know this even while we complain we want everything now. So take that time, make the tough decisions, and prepare for the inevitable pissing-off of various factions. We'll thank you later. Really we will. What do you say to the media in the meanwhile if your or Marc's decision is met with disapproval? Tell them you're building a winner for them, despite their complaints. Tell them the only true tradition of Les Canadiens is winning; tell them their priority takes us further away from that goal.

Tell them you've made the decision to win. You can justify almost any price and almost any decision if the team succeeds. There's your soundbite you can use anytime: "We've made the decision to win".

And then soundproof your office. Good luck Geoff -- your grandfather would be proud of you.

Good advice. I'd also kick in advice about there being no shortcuts. Although that's a tough sell to someone who's living off the success of his ancestors.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Please talk about Galchenyuk and PK Subban.

Please tell them about our grudge against Therrien.

and the stupid french coach crap (im french myself and couldnt care less about it)

less politics, more hockey

Problem in the last 20 years?

Cause : Ice time of player who's 20 years old.

Won't be taken seriously.

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
1 – Fans understand that this is a business and you are out to make money, but what separates the fan with no stake in the company from the owner with a stake in it is that we want a dynasty reborn and we do not care how long it takes, whereas ownership has to turn a profit. We get it, you need to do what needs to be done to ice a competitive team and still reap the profits of playoff hockey and merchandising. However, it feels like the need for profits in the short term completely neglects the potential of bigger profits down the line, i.e. if a real plan was put in place to build a dynasty. Basically that plan is suck for a few years, draft high and draft big. You will still sell out every game because fans understand, we really do.

2- Of the above, we have pieces of it, hell we may even have all the pieces, however what we are severely lacking is a coaching group that has the capability to tie it all together and get our kids to perform in a way that allows them to grow. Many of us truly did not understand bringing back MT, he accomplished nothing here the first time and failed when given a ready built dynasty in Pittsburgh. It made no sense at the time, still makes no sense and has potentially caused the regression and stunting of the development of our core for the future. It was a fatal mistake and has yet to be corrected and will not result in a cup parade, EVER. It is obvious to every single fan, yet somehow loyalty and stubbornness seem to be winning out. If you are in this to make money AND ice a team that goes deep into the playoffs you need to consider a coaching change.

3- If you change coaches now, you need to hire a coach that has the right skill set to nurture and create a dynamic, puck possession team that is not constrained by an old world mentality. This is the 21st century; we need a coach and a staff that realizes creativity should not be punished (i.e. instead of wasting time trying to neuter and tame PK, hire a staff that will encourage and nurture him, instead of favoring unproductive veterans, distribute ice time based on merit and performance, etc.) These are all things that every single fan identifies with, why is it so bloody hard for the coaching staff and management to not see it and do it as well?

4 – Language matters. It is important that whoever you hire to steer this team at least has the curiosity to learn French. So hire the best mind available, and put it in the contract that they need to learn French. Publicize that fact to neutralize any barbs, and again make it part of the contract. Have your new coach try to answer in French as he comes along. Marc Crawford did it in Quebec, and no one (from what I recall) had any issues, heck he won the Jack Adams and took his team to the conference finals in his first year, and he answered questions in French as best as he could.

5 – Lower your ticket prices to encourage families to come to games. Ok I was reaching on the 5th one.. but come on, can you not do this, you make so much god damn money, I love the habs, and it kills me that if I want to take my wife and 2 kids to the game it will cost a ridiculous sum of money that I just cannot justify to watch grown men playing a game.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
4 – Language matters. It is important that whoever you hire to steer this team at least has the curiosity to learn French. So hire the best mind available, and put it in the contract that they need to learn French. Publicize that fact to neutralize any barbs, and again make it part of the contract. Have your new coach try to answer in French as he comes along. Marc Crawford did it in Quebec, and no one (from what I recall) had any issues, heck he won the Jack Adams and took his team to the conference finals in his first year, and he answered questions in French as best as he could.

A recurring theme in all the threads here.

Broken French doesn't cut it in Quebec. Lots has changed since the Crawford days, the franco media jackals are mostly a propaganda arm of the PQ. Even Bergevin is frowned upon for his anglicized French. Sometimes I wonder if any of you live in Quebec. There are people going around downtown keeping stats on the first words spoken to a French speaker who frequents a business and whether it was French first. Or the language police trying to eradicate English words on antique goods used as restaurant decor. This type of paranoia is all the more amplified when it comes to the Habs.

Those of you harping on this, any coach who is not fluently francophone, will never make it behind a Habs' bench. It's just a reflection of the type of atmosphere fostered by the majority who use language as culture, as a means of creating employment for those who are otherwise unemployable, of weeding out those deemed undesirable and reminding us every 4 years that anyone who speaks more than one language is probably an anti-franco. This is the only place in the world where speaking more than one language is frowned upon. Ignorance is bliss. :sarcasm:

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004

Broken French doesn't cut it in Quebec. Lots has changed since the Crawford days, the franco media jackals are mostly a propaganda arm of the PQ. Even Bergevin is frowned upon for his anglicized French. Sometimes I wonder if any of you live in Quebec. There are people going around downtown keeping stats on the first words spoken to a French speaker who frequents a business and whether it was French first. Or the language police trying to eradicate English words on antique goods used as restaurant decor. This type of paranoia is all the more amplified when it comes to the Habs.

Those of you harping on this, any coach who is not fluently francophone, will never make it behind a Habs' bench. It's just a reflection of the type of atmosphere fostered by the majority who use language as culture, as a means of creating employment for those who are otherwise unemployable, of weeding out those deemed undesirable and reminding us every 4 years that anyone who speaks more than one language is probably an anti-franco. This is the only place in the world where speaking more than one language is frowned upon. Ignorance is bliss. :sarcasm:

Maybe I am just naive, but I still believe that if you bring in a coach who shows respect and reverence to Quebec culture and is vocal and positive about learning it, and actually has the team winning then whatever the media says will not matter because the fans will love him.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Maybe I am just naive, but I still believe that if you bring in a coach who shows respect and reverence to Quebec culture and is vocal and positive about learning it, and actually has the team winning then whatever the media says will not matter because the fans will love him.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I think if you bring in an attractive and media savvy translator for news conferences, that people will quickly stop caring.

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
Maybe I'm just naive, but I think if you bring in an attractive and media savvy translator for news conferences, that people will quickly stop caring.

Make that translator an attractive woman with a background in hockey and you may have found the silver bullet.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012

For some fans, they'll love what the media tells them to love. Some people need to be told what to think...

All the franco journalists speak english and probably a lot better than you'd think.

melnyk budget*

I think its great you guys are doing this but i feel like whatever you put in the slideshow wont matter.

You honestly think geoff doesnt know about size? Or french canadians in key positions?

Hes just doing his job as owner. One company doesnt want to renew? No problem there are 10 more on the waiting list.

Still a good idea but i question the effectiveness. I wish melnyk did something like this.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Good evening!

I work for a company that holds Montreal Canadiens season tickets. Today, the CFO (my boss) sent an e-mail to the Vice President of Sales of the Montreal Canadiens and Geoff Molson complaining about the fact that the tickets price has increased too much over the past 20 years in relation to the on ice product. Geoff Molson responded by thanking him for holding season tickets for many years and wants to meet him so he (my boss) explains him why the Montreal Canadiens sucked for 20 years from a fan perspective. It may seem untrue, but they have an appointment next Friday ... and my boss wants to prepare a 5 slides powerpoint which explains the main reasons of the habs failure in the past 20 years, and he needs my help. So I decided to come here and ask each of you to give me the 5 principal reasons that explain why they suck. I first tought it was a joke, but when he showed me the emails that they exchanged, I believed him.

First and foremost the French firts atitude is wrong, it should always be about the best player and or coaches available. Therien was a mistake for the simple fact Montreal limited temselves to having to find a coach who can communicate in French......

Nothing else is wrong other than this....IF they stoped succumbing to French media presssure this organization will be fine. IF the team wins the seats will always be filled. Of course French media will always complain, its what they do!

Start with this and you'll will see without that pressure better HOCKEY decision will be made and not political ones!

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
1 – Fans understand that this is a business and you are out to make money, but what separates the fan with no stake in the company from the owner with a stake in it is that we want a dynasty reborn and we do not care how long it takes, whereas ownership has to turn a profit. We get it, you need to do what needs to be done to ice a competitive team and still reap the profits of playoff hockey and merchandising. However, it feels like the need for profits in the short term completely neglects the potential of bigger profits down the line, i.e. if a real plan was put in place to build a dynasty. Basically that plan is suck for a few years, draft high and draft big. You will still sell out every game because fans understand, we really do.

2- Of the above, we have pieces of it, hell we may even have all the pieces, however what we are severely lacking is a coaching group that has the capability to tie it all together and get our kids to perform in a way that allows them to grow. Many of us truly did not understand bringing back MT, he accomplished nothing here the first time and failed when given a ready built dynasty in Pittsburgh. It made no sense at the time, still makes no sense and has potentially caused the regression and stunting of the development of our core for the future. It was a fatal mistake and has yet to be corrected and will not result in a cup parade, EVER. It is obvious to every single fan, yet somehow loyalty and stubbornness seem to be winning out. If you are in this to make money AND ice a team that goes deep into the playoffs you need to consider a coaching change.

3- If you change coaches now, you need to hire a coach that has the right skill set to nurture and create a dynamic, puck possession team that is not constrained by an old world mentality. This is the 21st century; we need a coach and a staff that realizes creativity should not be punished (i.e. instead of wasting time trying to neuter and tame PK, hire a staff that will encourage and nurture him, instead of favoring unproductive veterans, distribute ice time based on merit and performance, etc.) These are all things that every single fan identifies with, why is it so bloody hard for the coaching staff and management to not see it and do it as well?

5 – Lower your ticket prices to encourage families to come to games. Ok I was reaching on the 5th one.. but come on, can you not do this, you make so much god damn money, I love the habs, and it kills me that if I want to take my wife and 2 kids to the game it will cost a ridiculous sum of money that I just cannot justify to watch grown men playing a game.

Point number 4 is BS, bring in a hockey guy.....THE BEST HOCKEY GUY AVAILABLE! This is the NHL not the senate. Screw politics and the French media!

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Jesus Christ you guys are bat **** insane

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I don't even know where to begin. Although, if you are going to mention anything, mention the idiocy that is the requirement for a French coach. True habs fans want the team to win. They don't care what language the staff or players speak. Hire the best possible people for the job.

There is a reason there has been more booing of the home team in the Bell for the past 20 years, than all other years combined. If you are going to treat a team like a business, the best thing for business if a winning team, not a mediocre 8th seed team.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Canadiens haven't sucked in the last 20 years, but they haven't been a top ranked team. I would say that there are these top reasons that have kept them back.

Cap should include taxes, and so teams with a higher tax hit should be allowed to spend more, so that salaries are competitive.

Letting players go too young, or trading away assets before they mature.

Trying to remain competitive every year, and always getting middling picks.

Having defensive minded coaches, who don't allow youth to make mistakes.

Not taking risks like trading veteran players for prospects, when it is obvious we won't win the cup.

Tickets should still be cheaper, as should concessions. People will eat and drink more if things are cheaper.

Not making rookies have to live with veteran players, and they get in to the party life of Montreal. Their should be greater structure and responsibility in young players lives.

Capitulating to trade demands when we cannot get value back.

Too much media access to the coach and players, which can become grating, and reduce on-ice performance.

The necessity of a French coach. We should hire the best coach, and French should be an asset that will help put someone over, but not be a criteria that eliminates a clearly superior choice. There should be at least one French speaking coach on staff, so maybe assistant, so that they can field media questions.

I'm sure there are other problems, but these are the main issues.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Unfortunately, that's true, and a likely consequence of the restriction will be that instead of having a coach that could say "The winners", we will have one that is able to say "Les perdants".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain