WJC: medal predictions and tournament best players

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Droin and Lafreniere come to mind first. The hype was absurd, it was not a pretty sight.
Drouin didn’t have that same hype as these other guys we’re talking about. Lafreniere definitely did and he delivered at the WJC in a big way. I admit I’m a little surprised he hasn’t put things together in the NHL like I was expecting, but it’s still early in his career.

Reactions: Dominance

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Drouin didn’t have that same hype as these other guys we’re talking about. Lafreniere definitely did and he delivered at the WJC in a big way. I admit I’m a little surprised he hasn’t put things together in the NHL like I was expecting, but it’s still early in his career.
Nah, i remember it differently. Drouin was not a generational talent like Lafreniere but still was hyped to the heavens.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Nah, i remember it differently. Drouin was not a generational talent like Lafreniere but still was hyped to the heavens.
Drouin outscored Mackinnon in their draft year, but the hype that year was all Mackinnon vs. Jones. Drouin was supposed to be the lock at number 3, but Barkov ended up jumping to 2.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I wasn't talking about them but since you mentioned it yeah, they didn't.

Of course, that does not take away a thing of what I said. For all we think we know about players at 16 Crosby or Mcdavid could have just as easily have turned into the next Jason Spezza and Michkov could turn into the next Sergei Samsonov.
Spezza is/was a pretty darn good player. If I wasn’t for injury’s he would likely be borderline HHOFer right now.

Reactions: stastny12

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think, this tournament will repeat the 2011 one, when Bragin won WJC in his first year as a head coach with a bunch of future NHL stars and superstars. Hope, we'll beat Canada in the final game.

Michkov will win the top scorer and MVP awards.
Just gotta make sure cameras are placed correctly

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Spezza is/was a pretty darn good player. If I wasn’t for injury’s he would likely be borderline HHOFer right now.
He was a pretty good player, kind of why I used him as an example. A player who can be so good in their teens can end up having a career such as his and being that level of player rather then being a sure fire all timer, and the way they build up some of these kids like Michkov is right now and other players have in the past is sure fire all timer, generational, a cut above. But sometimes they don't meet those expectations, they end up like a player such as Spezza.......good, but not greatness. And a lot of things can derail that other then ability, sometimes it is injury, you can increase the list. For a very recent example let's look at Dahlin right now. I mean, they talked this kid to the moon and back and looking at his first season all seemed right on track, but things have developed since then and while he could still turn out to meet those expectations, it is now not looking slam dunk at all, far from it actually.

You just never know for sure this early.

Reactions: Statsy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
All roads lead to Michkov these days it seems, at least with a certain fan base.

They are determined to make this kid a legend even before he is one. He's got some very large claims to back up in the coming years. From what I have been seeing nothing less then the best player who has ever played the game is going to meet the expectations of what they are saying about him.

That will be quite the order.
I thought he was third in the hall of fame class...

Wright this draft
Bedard the next draft
Then Michkov

Canada has the next 1OVs pretty much locked in.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Wright this draft
Bedard the next draft
Then Michkov

I'm sure all these guys will be making us forget about Gretzky, Jagr and Lemieux in no time. In fact they already have for some people.

What could possibly go wrong?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yaroslav Askarov is going to be unreal. Won't be surprised if he can shut out some of the top countries.
Unfortunately that means you were sleeping for half a year, I am seriously worried about our goaltending. Askarov looks shaky AF when he plays.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Can we not turn this into another Michkov thread please.
It is inevitable though. The title literally states it is about best players of the WJC Michkov will be in. And there is a good chance he will be the best player of the tournament. He is also easily the most intriguing prospect in the tournament given his age and performance this year with Bedard not living up to the hype so far(at least on the scoreboard).

Reactions: Statsy

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

Wright this draft
Bedard the next draft
Then Michkov

Michkov has been better than Bédard this season but even if he ends up being better he won’t go 1st overall because of his contract; I would have liked to see Fantilli invited to the Canadian camp

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Unfortunately that means you were sleeping for half a year, I am seriously worried about our goaltending. Askarov looks shaky AF when he plays.
Really? Well thats unfortunate for Russia, I really haven't watched this play of lately.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Really? Well thats unfortunate for Russia, I really haven't watched this play of lately.
Yes, it is true unfortunately. I think it is all mental. Maybe the hype got to him. He needs to clear him head of the whole talk about him and concentrate on the simple things. This WJC will be a big test for him.

Reactions: hockey maniac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad