McDavid promotion and the hatred from fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Crosby got more hate for sure. But lately McDavid has been getting hate on especially from Pens fans. First from McDavid dethroning Crosby and eventually Mario in the next coming years.

• Haha
Reactions: Dessloch

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017

What does this have to do with Canadians? This post is pure salt
Cause of the audacity to ask"but why" when it's pretty clear. This question doesn't get asked about kucherov does it? Why don't people like Kucherov?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I'm not a fan of either team for 99.99% of the season. It doesn't take a marketing genius to notice that they are much more favorable to McDavid and Oilers than Barkov and the Panthers. I guess if you don't believe me, you could start a pole and ask people. What I'm saying isn't that far fetched. I think Edmonton fans struggle with it because they don't want to come to terms with the fact they are being favored a bit.
Theres nothing to come to terms with. It doesn't matter to us, we aren't the media.

One thing that has come to light with the finals though is the extent of diving the panthers do. Everyone was crying about oilers diving, but the Panthers take the cake with that.

Also not being a fan of either team doesn't preclude envy from being a reason for the hate. It might actually prove it!

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Everyone gets dethroned in time. There will probably be someone better then Gretzky in like 2080.
with 40-50 teams and presumably still a salary cap, I dont see it. Parity keeps the sport fun and interesting, which makes for shorter "dynasties" or dominating teams.

Even McDavid hasnt come anywhere close to winning 9 consecutive Harts or 10 Art Ross, and he'll probably go down as top 6 player all-time when his career is done.

Someone will surely top McDavid or even Mario given his shorter career, but Gretzky played for so long and dominated like no other ATHLETE over a full decade.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Why do canadians feel entitled to be liked?

This is the real reason.

I can't imagine some of the fawning and chest beating that would be going on if McDavid was American.

Also a lot of salty VAN fans in all the threads.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
McDavid doesn't even get a fraction of what Crosby used to get, and still does get. lol
"Cindy" Crosby whining to the refs in his rookie year was something that made people dislike him, the videos of him with a high pitched voice crying for penalties back then was actually pathetic. I personally really like Crosby, and he is a Canadian hero, but the whining he did is something I have never seen from McDavid.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
I like and dislike a variety of teams in the league for a variety of reasons. Wanna hear my thoughts on the Flyers, Capitals, and Rangers? Or would that signal an additional "agenda". Heaven forbid someone doesn't worship your favorite and player, right?
When all you do is hate on other teams without looking at them subjectively, nobody takes you seriously.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Didn't take long for Pens fans to start griping about McDavid for no reason, so if the shoe fits, wear it.

of course, @Empoleon8771 is at least honest and outright admits it's a part of the reason. Credit to him for holding up the mirror, at least.
We’re allowed to root against players for the sake of our own, it’s called being a fan and makes watching games fun.

I personally soured on the franchise when they took damn near 5 years to not be utter failures with McDavid and Draisaitl, and this was after they had drafted 1st like 4 times in the previous decade. At that point, you root against such obvious incompetence because it doesn’t deserve to be rewarded. If McDavid was on a different team I probably wouldn’t root against him.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
The hate he's going to get is gonna be unreal when he does what Gretzky lacked the balls to do, come back home and win a cup for #CanadasTeam.
F-nHtvIWMAA40cL.jpg
#GoLeafsGo

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?"
A clear majority of hockey media picked Florida as the favourites to win the series.

As to McDavid being the best player, well yeah, he is very clearly the best player in the league right now. Hes doing things that havent been done since Gretzky and Lemieux were in the league. Is commentary and analysis supposed to ignore that?

Reactions: lextune

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We’re allowed to root against players for the sake of our own, it’s called being a fan and makes watching games fun.

I personally soured on the franchise when they took damn near 5 years to not be utter failures with McDavid and Draisaitl, and this was after they had drafted 1st like 4 times in the previous decade. At that point, you root against such obvious incompetence because it doesn’t deserve to be rewarded. If McDavid was on a different team I probably wouldn’t root against him.
Which is fine. That being said, it's not McDavid's fault we are run by a vacuum salesman that makes one trade every five years. If anything, that makes what he's doing even MORE impressive.

"I just plain don't like him" is completely fine. I personally don't care if anyone else likes him or not. What I take umbrage with is downplaying his accomplishments and performances. Dude is on the fast track to be a top 3 player in the history of the sport. Like him or not, his level of play is inarguable.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This. The greater the star the more the hate
Growing up Gretzky was absolutely hated if you weren’t a fan
From the last 25 years, the only one of these generational stars that got what I'd consider league-wide hate is Crosby. It wasn't comparable with Ovechkin, Malkin, Mackinnon, Kucherov, or whoever.

Reactions: sanscosm

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
From my perspective:

I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from McDavid as I do from other star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Hughes, etc.

There's no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the league. I get that the NHL wants to market that, but I think there's a way to do it without undercutting other teams and players.

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the play-by-play commentators and analysts are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and the Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercuts the performance of Florida and its players. The general sentiment being pushed is - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing. That's not fair to Barkov, Matthews, Bobrovsky, etc and it gives unearned credit to the Edmonton team that, again was down 3-0 at one time.

When a single-player is hyperbolized and pushed to the extent that he is, it gets tiresome, especially when hockey and a cup run are a team effort.
What does this even mean?

Reactions: capazzo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Reading through the different playoff threads, I've never seen so much hatred for a top player in the league in my life. I don't get it. For the longest time it's been said the league doesn't promote its stars enough, they finally do and people hate on it.

My question is why?
Did you ignore every single Crosby thread ever created from around 2005 to today?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
People were still calling him out for lack of leadership and playoff performance before this year's playoff, when he had gone close to 2P/G in the previous two. Some are just arguing in bad faith, but plenty of people are just stuck in how they decided to feel about McDavid several years ago.

The best players in the game often have haters though. The way people talk about Crosby now is a far cry from how people used to talk about him.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Because he's a powerplay merchant who doesn't play honest hockey, he sucker punches players all the time after whistles and the refs protect him, most favorable calls in NHL history for him, league literally had an unprecedented weeklong layoff before the final to rest him and help him recover from his injury. He's also just an extremely awkward and unlikable guy off the ice and is a bad look for the face of the game.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Because he's a powerplay merchant who doesn't play honest hockey, he sucker punches players all the time after whistles and the refs protect him, most favorable calls in NHL history for him, league literally had an unprecedented weeklong layoff before the final to rest him and help him recover from his injury. He's also just an extremely awkward and unlikable guy off the ice and is a bad look for the face of the game.

My favourite poster on hf boards dot com

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The long break actually favors the Panthers. 3 days is long enough to reset after each losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad