McDavid promotion and the hatred from fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
From my perspective:

I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from McDavid as I do from other star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Hughes, etc.

There's no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the league. I get that the NHL wants to market that, but I think there's a way to do it without undercutting other teams and players.

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the play-by-play commentators and analysts are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and the Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercuts the performance of Florida and its players. The general sentiment being pushed is - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing. That's not fair to Barkov, Matthews, Bobrovsky, etc and it gives unearned credit to the Edmonton team that, again was down 3-0 at one time.

When a single-player is hyperbolized and pushed to the extent that he is, it gets tiresome, especially when hockey and a cup run are a team effort.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
From my perspective:

I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from McDavid as I do from other star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Hughes, etc.

There's no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the league. I get that the NHL wants to market that, but I think there's a way to do it without undercutting other teams and players.

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the commentary and analysis are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercut the performance of Florida and it's players. The general sentiment was - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing.

When a single-player is hyperbolized and pushed to the extent that he is, it gets tiresome, especially when hockey and a cup run are a team effort.
He literally just broke a league record for assists in a postseason run and is currently having one of the best playoffs in the last 100 years of the sport. He had back to back four point games facing elimination.

Saying he's one of the best ever not hyperbole. It's fact. Pens fans have always been weird about McDavid for dethroning Crosby.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
From my perspective:

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the play-by-play commentators and analysts are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and the Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercuts the performance of Florida and its players. The general sentiment being pushed is - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing. That's not fair to Barkov, Matthews, Bobrovsky, etc and it gives unearned credit to the Edmonton team that, again was down 3-0 at one time.

I stopped reading after Hughes

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
From my perspective:

You’re also hearing what you want to hear, because of your dislike for McDavid and the oilers

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Reading through the different playoff threads, I've never seen so much hatred for a top player in the league in my life. I don't get it. For the longest time it's been said the league doesn't promote its stars enough, they finally do and people hate on it.

My question is why?

You must have missed the old Crosby and Ovechkin threads :laugh:

Anyway, at least on here, I think there are a lot of comments negative about McDavid are due to:

1. Him threatening the reputation of guys like Crosby and Lemieux (big reason why Penguins fans are outspoken)
2. Some over the top hyping of him by Oilers fans causes other fans to pile on him when he's not living up to that
3. Because the Oilers haven't had success with McDavid yet and people pile on the star players for not having success as a team (exactly what happened to Ovi before Ovi won his cup)

All of this is also partially due to jealousy of course, but I think those 3 would be the specific areas.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Boy didn't take long for Oilers fans to turn it into a Crosby thread, eh?

In another thread it asked "why do you hate other teams?" and the overwhelming majority of the answers were "the fans".

Well ladies and gentlemen, I give you Exhibit A.
Well Crosby gets brought up in every oilers thread…

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Reading through the different playoff threads, I've never seen so much hatred for a top player in the league in my life. I don't get it. For the longest time it's been said the league doesn't promote its stars enough, they finally do and people hate on it.

My question is why?
McDavid doesn't even get a fraction of what Crosby used to get, and still does get. lol

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Diving/Edmonton fans/they beat us. Why do canadians feel entitled to be liked?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
From my perspective:

So like the first reply, it's envy. Pure envy

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He literally just broke a league record for assists in a postseason run and is currently having one of the best playoffs in the last 100 years of the sport. He had back to back four point games facing elimination.

Saying he's one of the best ever not hyperbole. It's fact. Pens fans have always been weird about McDavid for dethroning Crosby.
Everyone gets dethroned in time. There will probably be someone better then Gretzky in like 2080.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Watching from the States I really haven't noticed that much promotion of McDavid. Most of the first two rounds were airing late at night for the East Coast, depriving youngsters and working people the opportunity to witness one of the league's greats.

While he certainly doesn't have the natural charisma of, say, the late great Willie Mays, McDavid should be admired by all hockey fans for his dedication to .... being good at hockey.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You must have missed the old Crosby and Ovechkin threads :laugh:

Anyway, at least on here, I think there are a lot of comments negative about McDavid are due to:

1. Him threatening the reputation of guys like Crosby and Lemieux (big reason why Penguins fans are outspoken)
2. Some over the top hyping of him by Oilers fans causes other fans to pile on him when he's not living up to that
3. Because the Oilers haven't had success with McDavid yet and people pile on the star players for not having success as a team (exactly what happened to Ovi before Ovi won his cup)

All of this is also partially due to jealousy of course, but I think those 3 would be the specific areas.
those always devolved into good ole Canadian boy vs Commie pink Russian bastard type arguments, or whinny baby Crosby threads.

Theere is legit hate for McDavid and all things Oil. Which I like to see it. Salt does taste good.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

My question is why?
Uh, are you new? Crosby got so much more hate from 2007-2013 it’s not even close. Nobody actually hates McDavid besides some Cgy and maybe Nucks fans.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So like the first reply, it's envy. Pure envy
I'm not a fan of either team for 99.99% of the season. It doesn't take a marketing genius to notice that they are much more favorable to McDavid and Oilers than Barkov and the Panthers. I guess if you don't believe me, you could start a pole and ask people. What I'm saying isn't that far fetched. I think Edmonton fans struggle with it because they don't want to come to terms with the fact they are being favored a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad