McDavid is on a serious run to try and break Gretzky's single season playoff assist record (he did it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
It completely changed the game. All you need is a set of eyes and the iq of a tree to understand that. It's made the game immeasurably faster. And opened up the ice more than any rule change ever has.

What's hard to understand about this?

EDIT: OK. Technically the forward pass rule from like the 1920s probably opened up the game even more, lol.

You really need to check scoring rates between then and now. Seriously.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
He’s already landed himself in the top 50 for career playoff assists at #49 after just 71 games played.

The only player ahead of him on the list that played fewer than 120 games was Mario with 107. Only 6 players, again including Mario, played fewer than 155 games.

If he lost his powers overnight and slashed his current APG 40%, from 1.099 to 0.659, and played another 84 playoff games to finish his career with 155 games played, he would still cross 130 assists, a total reached by just five players ever.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It completely changed the game. All you need is a set of eyes and the iq of a tree to understand that. It's made the game immeasurably faster. And opened up the ice more than any rule change ever has.

What's hard to understand about this?

EDIT: OK. Technically the forward pass rule from like the 1920s probably opened up the game even more, lol.

If we're going to really play that card, lets be honest, Wayne and Mario played against garbage goaltending and defenses in their hey day.

McDavid is putting up his numbers against actual goaltending and defensive structure. The 80s and even well into the 90s doesn't hold a candle to how much the sport has changed from about 1996 onwards. There are AHL goalies today that are better than NHL goalies from the 80s especially, the 80s was a total joke.

A Connor McDavid would light goalies like this up like a Christmas tree

images

s-l1200.webp

Defensive structure and coaching was also significantly worse, a lot of teams basically just played the equivalent of pond hockey back then, trading chances back and forth all night long.

Last edited:

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
This thread just confirms what everyone already pretty much knew;

Mulletman=McDavid

Both names start with M
Both dominate their respective fields (Hockey for McDavid, being an HF God for Mulletman)

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
If we're going to really play that card, lets be honest, Wayne and Mario played against garbage goaltending and defenses in their hey day.

McDavid is putting up his numbers against actual goaltending and defensive structure. The 80s and even well into the 90s doesn't hold a candle to how much the sport has changed from about 1996 onwards. There are AHL goalies today that are better than NHL goalies from the 80s especially, the 80s was a total joke.

images

s-l1200.webp

Defensive structure and coaching was also significantly worse, a lot of teams basically just played the equivalent of pond hockey back then, trading chances back and forth all night long.

Thanks for this new and unique perspective. I've never heard this before.

The day after Bob got chased and Florida gave up 8 goals is awesome timing for it, too.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

images

s-l1200.webp

It's not only goalies equipment that has evolved. If McDavid played in the 80's he'd have the same gear as the other skaters and the same training. Would he be better than Gretzky? Impossible to say, but he definately wouldn't be the player he is now.

Here's Oliver-Ekman Larsson trying 80's gear and he can barely skate, puck handle or shoot with it:

With that said McDavid is a beast. Hats off to the record. Mighty impressive.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not only goalies equipment that has evolved. If McDavid played in the 80's he'd have the same gear as the other skaters and the same training. Would he be better than Gretzky? Impossible to say, but he definately wouldn't be the player he is now.

Here's Oliver-Ekman Larsson trying 80's gear and he can barely skate, puck handle or shoot with it:

With that said McDavid is a beast. Hats off to the record. Mighty impressive.

If you put Connor McDavid in the AHL, which is honestly what 80s level goaltending and D was (maybe even worse if I'm being honest, there are goalies in the AHL that are much better than guys who were starting in the NHL in the 80s and even early 90s), with a wooden stick and 80s/early 90s skates ... do you really think he wouldn't score in the AHL?

The league is light years better today in terms of goaltending and defensive structure. Goalies would routinely in the 80s even into the 90s allow unscreened, untipped slappers in from the point today that's a stinker of a goal.

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If you put Connor McDavid in the AHL, which is honestly what 80s level goaltending and D was (maybe even worse if I'm being honest, there are goalies in the AHL that are much better than guys who were starting in the NHL in the 80s and even early 90s), with a wooden stick and 80s/early 90s skates ... do you really think he wouldn't score in the AHL?

The league is light years better today in terms of goaltending and defensive structure.

Where did I ever say that? lol

My point was I'm not sure if he would outscore Gretzky in the 80's using the same gear and growing up with the same training that was present in the 60's and 70's. I mean, how could anyone be sure?

Last edited:

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

images

s-l1200.webp

A lot of the defensive concepts of today were developed back then by Scotty Bowman

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
A lot of the defensive concepts of today were developed back then by Scotty Bowman

What? Bowman popularized the left wing lock again in the 90s with the Wings but that was something invented by the Czechs in the 70s as far as I know.

This idea that hockey was just invented in the past few years really has to die. There is nothing new under the sun, just things coming in and out of vogue.

There were defensive "systems" going all the way back in hockey history. At times rule changes make it so that players and coaches have to adapt to new things but lets not pretend hockey is that complicated a game. After all, it is played by hockey players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

But they weren't implemented anywhere near to the extent they are today and a lot of D were coke cans back then coming out of the 80s were no one played any D.

It's not really until like the later half of the 90s that actual defensive structure and goaltending started to evolve a lot.

This is a high level playoff game 7 from 1991, look at some of the goals Mike Vernon is allowing here (lol), look at the defense ... it's atrocious if we're being honest. Gap control for D is apparently entirely optional, D just falling down and flopping on the ice and giving up a breakaway with 30 seconds left in a tie game 7 lol. Extremely entertaining though sure, the game was more fun to watch back then.

Last edited:

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Gretzky played in a much higher scoring era, and against weaker opponents even on a relative basis. Him and his linemates were all +20 something, Paul Coffey a defenseman had 37 points in 18 games. Teams also couldn't gameplan around a single superstar back then nearly as effectively as they can today either. McDavid is closer here than you think.
The game was much tougher back then, the slashing and crosschecking with heavy sticks, the head contact, elbowpads were hard, helmets sucked.

If you're referring to the parity of the league, its probably closer now (because of the cap), but the ties were eliminated and we can't compare. But we still have lots of weak teams in the bottom third.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

images

s-l1200.webp

The game has changed on both sides though, the technology has changed significantly to make players shoot, stickhandle and skate better. And players back then didn't commit to hockey 11 months of the year. He still would have been the best or 2nd best player at the time but I doubt he would have shattered the league. Neither of us can prove either way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The game has changed on both sides though, the technology has changed significantly to make players shoot, stickhandle and skate better. And players back then didn't commit to hockey 11 months of the year. He still would have been the best or 2nd best player at the time but I doubt he would have shattered the league. Neither of us can prove either way.

Coaching has radically changed, you would get your ass benched today if you played D like those guys did.

Goaltending back then was honestly like sub-AHL quality.

And I love 80s/90s hockey, 100% more entertaining than today for sure, but if we're gonna be honest ...

McDavid would have destroyed that league. Anyone who thinks he wouldn't is honestly lying to themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I've spent most of my hockey watching life assuming I'd never see any of Gretzky's main records get broken. Crazy that this one did and his career goals record probably will be broken too.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Coaching has radically changed, you would get your ass benched today if you played D like those guys did.

Goaltending back then was honestly like sub-AHL quality.

And I love 80s/90s hockey, 100% more entertaining than today for sure, but if we're gonna be honest ...

McDavid would have destroyed that league. Anyone who thinks he wouldn't is honestly lying to themselves.
You're are correct, the goalies weren't as good back then, at least the equipment wasn't as big or the players. But the way you are posting is that you are going to drop 2024 McDavid with all his current technology into the 80s. I think he would have destroyed the league just like Gretzky did.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You're are correct, the goalies weren't as good back then, at least the equipment wasn't as big or the players. But the way you are posting is that you are going to drop 2024 McDavid with all his current technology into the 80s. I think he would have destroyed the league just like Gretzky did.

All I'm saying is McDavid is putting up his numbers against far better D and actual goaltending, so for people who want to say "well there's no 2 line pass back then" ... gimme a break.

This is a real photo of a standard NHL goalie in the late 80s/early 90s, tell me this doesn't look like a joke photoshop. By today's standards, this looks like a child in net

los-angeles-kings-v-montreal-canadiens.webp

Keep all other things equal but simply replace modern NHL goalies with 80s/early 90s goalies ... like what do you think would happen? Scoring would go through the roof, there are better goalies in the AHL.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I'm actually surprised out of all the records broken, it was for something Gretzky is best at. Kind of insane.

When was the last time a Gretzky record was broken btw?

Depends how obscure. The records of type "most consecutive" or "most consecutive to start season" tend to get broken fairly often. Single season/playoff or career records not so much.
This thread just confirms what everyone already pretty much knew;

Mulletman=McDavid

Both names start with M
Both dominate their respective fields (Hockey for McDavid, being an HF God for Mulletman)

I was wondering how long after the record until someone remembers we are in a Mulletman thread. Feels weird doesn't it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The game was much tougher back then, the slashing and crosschecking with heavy sticks, the head contact, elbowpads were hard, helmets sucked.

If you're referring to the parity of the league, its probably closer now (because of the cap), but the ties were eliminated and we can't compare. But we still have lots of weak teams in the bottom third.

More goals were scored back then and the best players separated themselves even more from the pack. Not sure why that obvious point is not acknowledged by some.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

Funny comment, when we are talking about a playoffs record.... How many of those weak bottom third teams made it to the postseason?

The irony is that in Gretzky's first few seasons in NHL, 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs.... At that point, really weak bottom third teams were making the postseason... I think one year the Oilers played in the first round a 63 points (in 80 games) team!

So I guess your point is showing how impressive McD acomplishment actually is, right?

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Funny comment, when we are talking about a playoffs record.... How many of those weak bottom third teams made it to the postseason?

The irony is that in Gretzky's first few seasons in NHL, 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs.... At that point, really weak bottom third teams were making the postseason... I think one year the Oilers played in the first round a 63 points (in 80 games) team!

So I guess your point is showing how impressive McD acomplishment actually is, right?
And there was time when the first series were only best of 5. But I appreciate what McDavid is doing and I hope he makes me use my game 6 tickets breaking all the records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad