McDavid is on a serious run to try and break Gretzky's single season playoff assist record (he did it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
On a per-game basis, Gretzky is still significantly better. His team just took care of business.
The era adjustment might close the gap a bit but yeah. Not saying McDavid is on Gretzky's level or anything. I'm just surprised he took an assist record from him since those ones are usually considered harder among Gretzky records

Reactions: WalterLundy

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Any word from Gretzky yet about McDavid crushing his assist record?!
It is cool, and impressive, that McDavid broke the assist record, but come on, he didn't "crush it".

Gretzky did it in fewer games, while also scoring twice as many goals, and he also set the Finals record for points (13) in only 5 games. Oh, and he won the Cup that year too.

McDavid of course has a chance to "crush it" if he can lead his team back and keep dishing out assists along the way.

I'm just surprised he took an assist record from him since those ones are usually considered harder among Gretzky records
It is impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel and HabsQC

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It is a bit surprising Wayne never had more than 31 assist. For some reason he seemed to be more even in the playoffs.

Also they generally never played more than 18-19 games even when they won the cup. So that's obviously part of the explanation. Wayne's record year over 22 games was at a 36 assist pace. 38 over 23 games and so on. Which would have made it a lot harder to

Yeah Gretzky set his records in only 18-19 games like you say. Not only that he scored goals at the same time too.

Still impressive by McDavid though.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It is cool, and impressive, that McDavid broke the assist record, but come on, he didn't "crush it".

Gretzky did it in fewer games, while also scoring twice as many goals, and he also set the Finals record for points (13) in only 5 games. Oh, and he won the Cup that year too.

McDavid of course has a chance to "crush it" if he can lead his team back and keep dishing out assists along the way.

It is impressive.

Gretzky also played for the best team in the world while McDavid is playing against the best team in the world.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Given the difference in eras is there really much separating these performances? I don't believe so.
Yes. There is a lot separating the two performances.

Gretzky wasn't even allowed to pass the puck over two lines. That literally changed the entire game.

Imagine Gretzky being able to get away with passes from his own end to the other side of the red line.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Yeah the unhealthy one

Given the difference in eras is there really much separating these performances? I don't believe so.
Honestly more impressive to do it in 2024 than the 80's by far. Goaltending is not even comparable its a different position now.

Reactions: Oak

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Gretzky wasn't even allowed to pass the puck over two lines. That literally changed the entire game.

Imagine Gretzky being able to get away with passes from his own end to the other side of the red line.

Gretzky played in a much higher scoring era, and against weaker opponents even on a relative basis. Him and his linemates were all +20 something, Paul Coffey a defenseman had 37 points in 18 games. Teams also couldn't gameplan around a single superstar back then nearly as effectively as they can today either. McDavid is closer here than you think.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Assists became a lot easier to come by when to the two-line offside pass was eliminated.

Imagine being two feet inside your own blue line and not being allowed to pass the puck over the red line. Long passes were not allowed.

And yet all the players back then had more assists than they do today. It's almost like the defense and goaltending was really bad compared to today.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes. He also set the Finals record for points (13) in just 5 games.
The wife and I would go to Oiler games (when they came to town) just to watch their great players. Sitting at ice level provided a perspective of how incredible they were. Saw Orr from that perspective and Perrault and Bure. Unbelievable how those guys could skate. McDavid is in that group for me. Unbelievable how great a skater with the puck.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
I've never seen someone overstate the importance of 2 line passes like this lol.
It completely changed the game. All you need is a set of eyes and the iq of a tree to understand that. It's made the game immeasurably faster. And opened up the ice more than any rule change ever has.

What's hard to understand about this?

EDIT: OK. Technically the forward pass rule from like the 1920s probably opened up the game even more, lol.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
199 pts (basically 200 with 6 missed games)

Has 6 rosses in 11 healthy years playing at same time as Prime Gretzky for half of those years

You put 99, 66, and 97 in the nhl as 18 year olds starting 2024

The next 20 years lemieux is winning 6/7 ross/hart/lindsays in that span

Howe and Orr I dont think could compete with 99 and 66 & 97 now head to head
Uhm Orr won 2 art ross trophies as a dman

9 Straight Norris trophies

Played amazing 2 way hockey

Won 2 stanley cups (Would have won more but Montreal was just stacked.)

Howe is the greatest power forward to play the game, tough, skilled durable also has longevity going for him.

But yes those 2 would compete with the other 3 saying other wise is just insulting.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
It completely changed the game. All you need is a set of eyes and the iq of a tree to understand that. It's made the game immeasurably faster. And opened up the ice more than any rule change ever has.

What's hard to understand about this?

Probably because it has been gone for almost 20 years now and one of the lowest scoring eras in history happened with 2 line passes allowed. Coaches have known how to deal with it since 2007. Saying that it makes a bigger difference than the salary cap or just the natural development of goaltending is a first.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton

J2RxWiEQgHFOr_jfiQJB6sUOgyXPAu4oco8fG87HleuQ2o_6icXqyzdQOkoa02nsdb4x1aGvwXZlkygqiv35AW7NDtyKP9tZNujyBWg3bFGNOBGGjr7Bm0J3acsM3Z4GcqU-_Fj2VQ

Sergei-Bobrovsky-Panthers-2-1200x900.jpg

You don't think this offsets the two line pass? Which change do you think would make for more scoring scrapping 2 line pass in 1988 NHL Playoffs or 1988 Goalie equipment and styles? It's impossible to tell, but it's statistical proven it was easier to score back then.
1987/88 season average goals per team was 297 3.71gpg
2023/24 average goals per team was 244 2.97gpg

You can't take one without the other though. Would changing the two line pass rule possibly increased his totals? Most likely. Would Mcdavid add to his totals playing against 80s goalies/defense? Most like, but can't say for sure on hypothetically. Just like when people say "Mcdavid wouldn't of been able to play in the 80s he would get wrecked " again impossible to know. You would think he would adjust himself to be able to play against big tough opponents, or could he be like Gretzky. Players just couldn't touch Gretzky, and if they did they would get pounded by the enforcers.

Everyone is always so quick with the "ifs". At the end of the day it's only hypothetical, because it didn't happen and there is no point I arguing about hypotheticals. It's alot easier to just sit enjoy what we are seeing. Records are never gonna be linear just like 30 to 40 years from now im sure there will be even more modifications to the sport. Will Probably be some Ai robot or Bill gates genetically modified cyborg controlled by a 12 year old with an Xbox controller breaking all the records.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016

? The scoring rates were much higher back then.

Reactions: authentic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad