McDavid is 3rd in points while Edmonton is 28th in NHL

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The biggest problem with the Oilers by far is the special teams, not the Defense.

The D(and the goaltending) hasn't been good enough either, but the team actually has a positive goal differential at even strength.

The PK has literally been bad enough to kill their season.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Lol. You are making a series a series of completely exaggerated posts about them. It's so obvious. If you don't care, why post?
Okay - I fail to see why a Tampa fan with no "Western Team" would have an ax to grind against the Oilers of all teams. I guess you could say I'm still really burned about Omark's disrespectful spinorama during the shootout five years ago?

I'm a hockey fan. I watch a lot of hockey - including when my team isn't playing. I've watched a lot of Oilers games, and I've watched them play badly in most of them. The only "hate" I have for the Oilers is that - despite having the best young player in the league - they are so poorly run that they are going to miss the playoffs. They have a bad D-corps and no team identity, and it shows on the ice.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Age difference is easily offset by Ovechkin having to adjust to a new culture, style of game, language, etc. Actually I'd argue OV was at a bigger disadvantage.

Yeah, I said Crosby for playoffs. But the gap in regular season was way, way bigger. This is basically common sense, I've only seen extreme Crosby fans argue otherwise.

Don't forget that Crosby got to live with Mario freaking Lemieux.

OV def had it tougher, and had an amazing start to his career, Crosby just had the better support cast.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Does it change if they go .667 winning % the rest of the way? What a stupid post. Wouldn't be the first time you've said something dumb about the Oilers
Huh? No it doesn't change. His evaluation of their play so far holds up no matter what they do from here

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Don't forget that Crosby got to live with Mario freaking Lemieux.

OV def had it tougher, and had an amazing start to his career, Crosby just had the better support cast.

Ovechkin got to play on a line with Backstrom and Semin. Meanwhile Crosby was stuck with Kunitz and Dupuis. Ovechkin has had the advantage in linemates his entire career, while Crosby struggled with a revolving door of wingers.

The reason Ovechkin teams struggled is because he's not good enough to face an elite line by himself (outside his first 2 seasons). Can you imagine if Ovechkin had to go into the playoffs with the following matchup?

Ovechkin-Beagle-Williams
vs
Hornqvist-Crosby-Kessel

Ovechkin would get destroyed.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Ovechkin got to play on a line with Backstrom and Semin. Meanwhile Crosby was stuck with Kunitz and Dupuis. Ovechkin has had the advantage in linemates his entire career, while Crosby struggled with a revolving door of wingers.

The reason Ovechkin teams struggled is because he's not good enough to face an elite line by himself (outside his first 2 seasons). Can you imagine if Ovechkin had to go into the playoffs with the following matchup?

Ovechkin-Beagle-Williams
vs
Hornqvist-Crosby-Kessel

Ovechkin would get destroyed.

Support cast does not mean linemates.

Dude had freaking Malkin going into the finals, I'd rank Malkin miles better than Backstorm and Semin, non who won an art ross trophy.

Hockey is a team game.

Weak argument, like always.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Well the gang's all here I see.

If you all are happy with how your franchise is being run, good on you. I'd be kinda pissed though if my team was in the basement despite having a superstar forward, and I probably wouldn't be blaming all of the failure on bad luck.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519

If you all are happy with how your franchise is being run, good on you. I'd be kinda pissed though if my team was in the basement despite having a superstar forward, and I probably wouldn't be blaming all of the failure on bad luck.

That contradicts itself.

Said superstar is still dominating, the rest of the team lags behind, this isn't the NBA dude.

If you think McDavid can inprove goaltending/D/PK/PP all by himself, you're daft as hell.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Support cast does not mean linemates.

Dude had freaking Malkin going into the finals, I'd rank Malkin miles better than Backstorm and Semin, non who won an art ross trophy.

Hockey is a team game.

Weak argument, like always.

Crosby doesn't play on the same line as Malkin. Of course Ovechkin would put up more points, he played every shift with Backstrom/Semin, while Crosby had to do his best to limit their scoring.

Just last season the Caps top line was Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie. The Caps would have beat the Pens if Ovechkin could have played against the Pens top line by himself and they could have put Kuznetsov and Oshie on the 3rd pairing. Unfortunately Ovechkin isn't good enough to help his team like that

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Crosby doesn't play on the same line as Malkin. Of course Ovechkin would put up more points, he played every shift with Backstrom/Semin, while Crosby had to do his best to limit their scoring.

Not talking about linemates dude, MALKIN PLAYS ON THE SAME TEAM.

That on itself is a massive offensive firepower and this is why the team has won the Stanley Cup multiple times.

It's a team sport with 4 freaking lines, again weak argument.

2009 conn smythe winner just proves my point.

Reactions: stampedingviking

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Okay - I fail to see why a Tampa fan with no "Western Team" would have an ax to grind against the Oilers of all teams. I guess you could say I'm still really burned about Omark's disrespectful spinorama during the shootout five years ago?

I'm a hockey fan. I watch a lot of hockey - including when my team isn't playing. I've watched a lot of Oilers games, and I've watched them play badly in most of them. The only "hate" I have for the Oilers is that - despite having the best young player in the league - they are so poorly run that they are going to miss the playoffs. They have a bad D-corps and no team identity, and it shows on the ice.

If you have watched them play, then you certainly have noticed how most of the teams they play the ice is always tilted towards thier opponents net. It's blown defensive coverages by certain individuals, or bad goaltending or special teams that have killed them. That's getting better.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

That isn't what anyone is doing.

We have said that the Oilers have been playing better lately(this is true) and that the Oilers probably aren't as bad as their record(this is also true). Neither of those things state that we think the Oilers have no problems and are secretly the best team in the league.

You are the one screaming bloody murder in this thread that the Oilers are actually garbage and are somehow surprised that you are receiving some push back.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That contradicts itself.

Said superstar is still dominating, the rest of the team lags behind, this isn't the NBA dude.

If you think McDavid can inprove goaltending/D/PK/PP all by himself, you're daft as hell.
I'm not criticizing McDavid - I'm criticizing the organization that isn't surrounding him with a competent D or forward group that fits his skillset.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That isn't what anyone is doing.

We have said that the Oilers have been playing better lately(this is true) and that the Oilers probably aren't as bad as their record(this is also true). Neither of those things state that we think the Oilers have no problems and are secretly the best team in the league.

You are the one screaming bloody murder in this thread that the Oilers are actually garbage and are somehow surprised that you are receiving some push back.
This is not true. You are your record. Right now Edmonton is the second-worst team in the West. Saying otherwise doesn't make it so.

Reactions: stampedingviking

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Not talking about linemates dude, MALKIN PLAYS ON THE SAME TEAM.

That on itself is a massive offensive firepower and this is why the team has won the Stanley Cup multiple times.

It's a team sport with 4 freaking lines, again weak argument.

2009 conn smythe winner just proves my point.

You're right, 4 lines. If Ovechkin was so good, they could have put him on the first line by himself against Crosby and then beat the Pens through depth by putting Kuznetsov and Oshie on the 3rd line.

Ovechkin-Beagle-Williams
XXX-Backstrom-Burakovsky
XXX-Kuznetsov-Oshie

Look! 3 scoring lines! The Caps would have demolished the Pens if Ovechkin didn't need Oshie and Backstrom against Crosby.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
You're right, 4 lines. If Ovechkin was so good, they could have put him on the first line by himself against Crosby and then beat the Pens through depth by putting Kuznetsov and Oshie on the 3rd line.

Ovechkin-Beagle-Williams
XXX-Backstrom-Burakovsky
XXX-Kuznetsov-Oshie

Look! 3 scoring lines! The Caps would have demolished the Pens if Ovechkin didn't need Oshie and Backstrom against Crosby.

Dude, Malkin is miles better than Backstorm and Semin, we were talking about pre 2010 here, no idea why you swerved into the future.

Add veterans like the great Dr.Recchi, and we're talking.

Clearly you believe that Malkin is inferior to Backstorm and Co, which is mind boggling.

Malkin is a top 5 player in the league.

Reactions: La Masse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad