McDavid becomes the 3rd player in NHL history to score 40 points in a playoff run - after Wayne and Mario

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
McDavid up to 40 points in these playoffs. Only Gretzky (47, 43, 40) and Lemieux (44) have achieved this.

If this goes 7 - he could easily top 44 points, and maybe take a crack at 47.

Insane performance these playoffs

Update:

After tonight's game - he now has 42 points.
He also has 11 points in the finals - all-time record is 13 in a final

Last edited:

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Definitely in contention for third best forward of all time. There has always been a massive gap between Gretzky/Lemieux and the third one. I know there’s Howe but I’m not a big fan of counting players who played so long ago. I rather stick to the modern era.

Assuming McDavid remains healthy, he could actually knock down Lemieux from the second spot. He’ll never match him in sheer dominance but Lemieux spent over 1/3rd of his career injured. McDavid’s far better longevity will more than make up for Lemieux’s advantages.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Definitely in contention for third best forward of all time. There has always been a massive gap between Gretzky/Lemieux and the third one. I know there’s Howe but I’m not a big fan of counting players who played so long ago. I rather stick to the modern era.

Assuming McDavid remains healthy, he could actually knock down Lemieux from the second spot. He’ll never match him in sheer dominance but Lemieux spent over 1/3rd of his career injured. McDavid’s far better longevity will more than make up for Lemieux’s advantages.
Howe did what Mario did AND played a long time. It wasn't just playing a long time.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Mcdavid keeping it 100% is the best north american sports athlete ever on skill and talent

Lebron wasnt as skilled or talented and dominanted a sport where 1 player has access and allowance to dominate the ball much higher than hockey

Kobe the same except hes 10% worse than Lebron

MJ played in a lower competition era so while he and ( Lemieux and Greztky) dominated the league at higher levels than Mcdavid, they had worse defensive schemes and systems to play against and lower skilled compeitition

No baseball player was putting 75 HR + 200 RBIs + .350 BA type years

NFL dont think any player individually was this talented

People are so normalized/accustomed to Mcdavid we dont realize he just put up 42 pts in 23 games...

This is the best playoff run in NHL history

Last edited:

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Howe did what Mario did AND played a long time. It wasn't just playing a long time.
As I said, not a fan of evaluating players from so long ago against much more modern ones. Howe didn’t really play against international competition. For his time, he was without a doubt far and away the best but I prefer separating modern era players from the old ones.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I know you really, really, really like McDavid, but that’s just not an objective take :laugh:
Through 3 rounds of 2009 crosby and malkin were neck and neck in pts despite crosby playing top line/harder matchups generally

Malkin played better in finals for sure

Mcdavid has outplayed Draisaitl by an absurd amount the last 11 playoff gsmes and just keeps on dominating whatever defenses are thrown his way

Malkin and any other player from the past or moving into the future from here on out will have to settle for best "not mcdavid" awards/seasons/stretches

Mcdavid has the best peak, prime, offensive, valuable, reg seasons & playoffs outside of 99, 66, 4 and maybe 9 ever.

• Love
Reactions: Doubty

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
2024 mcdavid by a landslide

Malkin was barelt better than Crosby

Mcdavid is the main reason the stars arent playing the panthers right now
Barely better than prime Crosby is not really a big insult.

Malkin in the 2009 most common teammate at ev strenght were

Fedotenko
Talbot
Orpik
Letang (not really yet Letang we think about, 33 pts that season, 27 next season, turned into a star only in 2011)
Eaton

That in part what made 2009 Malkin performance quite special, doing it playing with Max Talbot and Fedotenko, perfectly fine third liner that can help on a Top 6, but not the usual teammate of a legendary run, Orpik-young Letang-Eaton feading you the puck, not Gonchar most of the time.

McDavid most common ev strenght teammate during the 2024 playoff, as of now were:

Hyman
Bouchard
Ekholm
RNH
Draisaitl

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Mcdavid keeping it 100% is the best north american sports athlete ever on skill and talent

Lebron wasnt as skilled or talented and dominanted a sport where 1 player has access and allowance to dominate the ball much higher than hockey

Kobe the same except hes 10% worse than Lebron

MJ played in a lower competition era so while he and ( Lemieux and Greztky) dominated the league at higher levels than Mcdavid, they had worse defensive schemes and systems to play against and lower skilled compeitition

No baseball player was putting 75 HR + 200 RBIs + .350 BA type years

NFL dont think any player individually was this talented

People are so normalized/accustomed to Mcdavid we dont realize he just put up 49 pts in 23 games...

This is the best playoff run in NHL history
The guy has the best peak of anyone outside the big four but to claim that he's better than Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali and Tiger Woods is simply ridiculous.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Barely better than prime Crosby is not really a big insult.

Malkin in the 2009 most common teammate at ev strenght were

Fedotenko
Talbot
Orpik
Letang (not yet Letang)
Eaton

That in part what made 2009 Malkin performance quite special, doing it playing with Max Talbot and Fedotenko, perfectly fine third liner that can help on a Top 6, but not the usual teammate of a legendary run, Orpik-young Letang-Eaton feading you the puck, not Gonchar most of the time.

McDavid most common ev strenght teammate during the 2024 playoff, as of now were:

Hyman
Bouchard
Ekholm
RNH
Draisaitl
McDavid is absolutely great, but people always overlook how Geno did what he did playing with a bunch of coal miners.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The point production with McDavid is obviously terrific, but I think if the Oilers can come back from down 3-0 with McDavid producing like he has in games 4 and 5 so far, that would be another terrific achievement to add to his resume. No Canadian teams have won the cup in 30 years and no teams have won the cup while down 3-0 in the finals in over 50 years. McDavid's Oilers knocking both of those out, with McDavid possibly challenging Gretzky's playoff point record, would be legendary.

That would be a career defining series, it's even better than the famous Messier guarantee.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The guy has the best peak of anyone outside the big four but to claim that he's better than Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali and Tiger Woods is simply ridiculous.
Better pure talent than MJ and Gretzky when adjusting for difficulty of modern day sports

Ali and Woods are solo/individual sports so they win/lose on their own and I didnt count them

MJ and Gretzky are still more dominant than Mcdavid, their talent and ability might be similar to his, but we never got to see them play modern/current day defensive schemes vs seeing Mcdavid against that now.

99/23 no doubt, 99% dominate modern day defenses, but Im giving credit to 97 for doing in his time when no one else has been able to do so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad