Proposal: McBain to Bruins for a 2nd +?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's not exactly what they need for the playoffs this year, as he is an unproven commodity at the NHL level, but he is exactly what is needed in BOS for the future, to compete with Studnicka, Coyle and the like for a middle six C spot. In the past I think some saw that the window for the B's might be closing with Chara, Rask and Bergeron aging out, but it's possible that they won't have to bottom out due to MacAvoy, Pasta, and Swayman's play. His familiarity with Boston has to be a plus.

2nd and a small plus(2023 3rd/4th?) I would guess that Guerin would prefer that he goes to the east. He might get offers from teams that would have higher picks like MTL or PHI, so that was my thinking on the add.

I have no idea if McBain has BOS on the list of teams he has told BG he would be willing to sign with.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I agree. A piece Bruins would be interested in the future. I asked around in Bruins forum but people weren't that interested since Bruins are still trying to compete now.

You can still make a move for McBain while competing though.
Studnicka has been bad so idk if Studnicka(+ a pick?) for McBain, or say a 2nd and a 4th would work for the wild.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If the Bruins think he has more 2nd liner than bottom sixer in him maybe. And obviously a lot depends on how much draft capital they spend elsewhere this TDL.

But I think most folks think he is closer to a bottom sixer than a top sixer at the NHL level. Bruins already have Coyle, Frederic, Studnicka, Beecher as guys fitting those places in the lineup in the system, even if McBain has a higher ceiling than some of those names.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
you are giving away a 2+ for no guarantees? Remember pick can’t be adjusted on signing.
I personally just overbid on everything here so I dont get yelled at.

Not sure how McBain would be valued right now, but he is a piece Bruins should be interested in.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree. A piece Bruins would be interested in the future. I asked around in Bruins forum but people weren't that interested since Bruins are still trying to compete now.

You can still make a move for McBain while competing though.
Studnicka has been bad so idk if Studnicka(+ a pick?) for McBain, or say a 2nd and a 4th would work for the wild.
I don't think that the B's can afford to give up on Studnicka yet, and he doesn't really fit in with the Wild's plans due to the cap hell they will be in for the next three years. They just traded for Jost:crossfing, have Gaudreau and Hartman on dirt cheap contracts who can play C, JEE, and Rossi probably next year. I don't see Studnicka beating those guys out, and he will be wanting a new contract at some point. I think they'd rather have the pick(s).

Reactions: wintersej

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
you are giving away a 2+ for no guarantees? Remember pick can’t be adjusted on signing.
It goes w/o saying that BOS would only be in the deal if McBain has indicated that he would be willing to sign with him. He has already sent a list to Guerin. Remember, it's in his interest to sign, and burn a ELC year. Waiting, and signing in the summer would be as unwelcome for him as the team acquiring him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It goes w/o saying that BOS would only be in the deal if McBain has indicated that he would be willing to sign with him. He has already sent a list to Guerin. Remember, it's in his interest to sign, and burn a ELC year. Waiting, and signing in the summer would be as unwelcome for him as the team acquiring him.

isn’t that then tampering?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
isn’t that then tampering?

How is that tampering? It's no different from when Mark Stone was allowed to speak with teams before he was traded. It happens a lot.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I can't imagine a team being that eager to give anything above a 3rd which is what he was drafted in. Buffalo gave Nashville a 3rd for Vesey to try and sign him and didn't, but Vesey was a way bigger hyped prospect than McBain

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
A 2nd for a guy who's production in college just got good in his senior year? If he's made it clear to the Wild he isn't signing you'd think the play is to just wait and sign him for free instead of paying a 2nd unless you think he can actually help your team in the playoffs now.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
A 2nd for a guy who's production in college just got good in his senior year? If he's made it clear to the Wild he isn't signing you'd think the play is to just wait and sign him for free instead of paying a 2nd unless you think he can actually help your team in the playoffs now.

Wild are only working with teams he will sign with. Teams will not give up anything without a deal in place.

There won’t be any team that signs him for free in the offseason so if a team wants him, they will need to part with an asset. Burning a year is a priority for McBain just as much as choosing his non-MN destination.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
A 6'3" C who's overall game went to another level this year, was on the Olympic team, and will be ready to play right away rather than 3-4 years from now? No one cares where he was drafted four years ago, just like no one cares that Kaprizov was a 5th rounder. GM's almost always are looking for C's, let alone big C's with soft hands and a NHL pedigree.

Reactions: Petes2424

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
IMO Boston needs to quit selling off futures for a team that almost nobody believes is a legitimate contender. Does anyone really think they can emerge from the East?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
A 6'3" C who's overall game went to another level this year, was on the Olympic team, and will be ready to play right away rather than 3-4 years from now? No one cares where he was drafted four years ago, just like no one cares that Kaprizov was a 5th rounder. GM's almost always are looking for C's, let alone big C's with soft hands and a NHL pedigree.
Unfortunately the pot-luck video game wizards on here disagree.

You’re only worth where you were drafted according to them. At some point you would think they would look at their own team and come to terms that most of their rosters aren’t first round picks.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Studnicka has not been bad, he's essentially a point per game player in the AHL (33 points in 37 AHL games). He just needs a real chance to stick at the NHL level.

Studnicka 23 years old, 113 AHL games, 94 points.
McBain 22 years old, 117 NCAA games, 86 points.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Studnicka has not been bad, he's essentially a point per game player in the AHL (33 points in 37 AHL games). He just needs a real chance to stick at the NHL level.

Studnicka 22 years old, 113 AHL games, 94 points.
McBain 22 years old, 117 NCAA games, 86 points.

Just gonna nitpick a little, Studnicka is 23. He is almost a full year older than McBain.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayMakers

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I can't imagine a team being that eager to give anything above a 3rd which is what he was drafted in. Buffalo gave Nashville a 3rd for Vesey to try and sign him and didn't, but Vesey was a way bigger hyped prospect than McBain

That's cause your not doing the math NHL teams will do.

A 2nd round pick has like 1/3rd of a chance to ever develop enough in juniors/NCAA/Europe/AHL to even compete for an NHL job , 1/5th of a chance to actually make it to every day NHLer. And that's usaully 2 to 4 years down the road.

McBain has done the development and its pretty clear he's ready to compete for an NHL job the day after he signs. That takes a to of the risk out, and it's down to figuring if he's one of the ones that will make it or is just border line.

That's what elevates him above his initial draft position.

Vesey was pretty clear he wanted to go UFA. With McBain the reporting indicates he wants to sign and burn a year, just not with the Wild.

Reactions: 57special

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
For a split second I thought this was about Jamie McBain..... then my brain started functioning and said no way hes still in the NHL :help: :facepalm:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He is not Kaprizov….I am not impressed with him. Why waste a pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad