Maybe I'm crazy, but... official optimism thread

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Isn't the team in the exact position predicted at the start of the season,fighting for 7-8 spot.Why is everyone freaking out?

TheThrill81*

Isn't the team in the exact position predicted at the start of the season,fighting for 7-8 spot.Why is everyone freaking out?

Because somehow it's guaranteed the teams chasing us will win their games in hand and we'll lose every remaining game. At least that's the trendy gorilla logic being used here lately.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
We're exactly in the position we were expected to be at the start of the season,fighting for 7-8 spot.Why is everyone freaking out.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
When you have hallucinations about an 18-wheeler and become the boy who cried 18-wheeler, then it is polluting.

Yes, I felt the same "calmness" against the likes of Carolina and New Jersey.

Which was what fourth months ago? :laugh: you have to be stupid to believe Bernier doesn't bring calmness to the team.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Because somehow it's guaranteed the teams chasing us will win their games in hand and we'll lose every remaining game. At least that's the trendy gorilla logic being used here lately.
Possibly,but the Leafs still have control of their own destiny.Better than being one of the teams playing catch-up.

TheThrill81*

Well i'd imagine because we were almost guranteed a playoff spot last week, and then **** the bed.... But cant do anything about that now... just need a win here

Even last week we weren't almost guaranteed a playoff spot. Conversely, we are not guaranteed to miss the playoffs especially with 10 games left and in the 1st WC spot.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Every team in the league has had a losing streak this year,we had 2.It 's just happening at a very bad time.

yideboit

Aug 5, 2010
i've actually felt MOST of the year the leafs would miss the playoffs!

i only started to think this team had what it took to make the playoffs after the west coast swing where they played solid and took 2 of 3!

that said i'm not even remotely convinced that reimer is to blame for the recent struggles ... 1 or 2 weak goals a game shouldnt lose 4 in a row ... the team has continued to struggle in their own end and turn pucks over at inopportune times and that quite frankly has been their major downfall the entire year!

luckily, they still write their own destiny here!

yes teams have games in hand and can win those ... but we have multiple HUGE games against teams around us down the stretch.

Assuming in their last 10 games they have 10 "sure" losses against strong teams (stl, bos and phi - who are all playing really well), that leaves 7 games that they need likely 10-12 points in... cal, fla, ott should be sure wins so there is 6 points in the 6 of 10 games so the 4 games remaining vs nj, det, winn, and tbay are make or break in my opinion and they need 4-6 points out of those games! Obviously you can't bank on "sure wins" but that is how i think it breaks down. I didn't believe they'd make it until about 2 weeks ago ... but i still think they will squeak in there at this point.

devils - w
blues - l
flyers - l
wings - w
flames - w
bruins - l
jets - w
lightning - l
panthers - w
senators - w

that is how I would predict the finish! that would give them 12 points and would make it very tight but SHOULD get them in as long as 2 of 3 of columbus, washington and detroit don't crush their remaining schedules.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I feel like the evil hockey gods are intentionally scripting this to go to the very last day and have Ottawa put the dagger in our heart when all we need to do is win. -_-

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
They're still well in it, esp. when you look at the schedule of some of the teams also right around us, but it's a total crap shoot.

I expect the playoff% chances to fluctuate wildly night to night for everyone in the hunt.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think this team is dead. By a longshot.

We've seen all season the lack of consistency this team can display. Whether it be a prolonged winning or losing streak, we have that ability to either make or break an entire season in the last ten games. It's going to be a dogfight to the very end and the suffering may have just begun but I strangely feel like we'll turn things around.

Firstly, the key to this scenario is James Reimer. Here's a guy who worked his way up from junior hockey to the ECHL, the AHL and finally the big time. He captured all of our hearts and minds with his often spectacular goaltending and the ability to battle every shot like it was his last. Granted, it's not always the prettiest style, but for much of his NHL career he has gotten the job done. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on his time as a Maple Leaf just yet, even if this is likely his last season here. All he's ever done in his time as a Leaf was show up to battle, conduct himself professionally and endear himself to us with key saves in big moments. He single handedly saved our season in the playoffs last year against Boston in games 5 and 6. I agree that he must assert himself right now and get back to the level of play that he is quite capable of, but perhaps he just needs some encouragement from either Carlyle, his wife, his family or even us, the fans. With Bernier going down we must rely on James to save our season. I don't think we'd be misplacing our trust with him. But the support should be there. Does it really make a difference? Maybe not. But karmically? Who knows.

Realistically, we have to go maybe 6-4? 7-3? Let's look at the schedule.

Devils, Blues, Flyers, Wings, Flames, Bruins, Jets, Lightning, Panthers, Senators.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the only game I'm really worried about here is St. Louis. Being the inconsistent team that we are, they can capably go against basically every team here and bang out a win. Obviously Boston and Philly will be really tough games but in sports anything can happen. I'm no mathematician, but I'm guessing the law of averages should probably change things to our favour very soon. Our top line might suddenly get hot again and if Reimer can steal us a game or two, we might just be okay.

It's really terrible that we couldn't even squeak out a point tonight against our hated rivals. I thought aside from the weak goals and spotty coverage in the first period, we actually played good enough to win. At this point we need to find positives in just about anything. But I'm not ready to give up on this team, on the players or the coach. These are the ones we have, in place right now, and we can't do anything about that. A true fan to me supports his or her team no matter what the circumstances. I'm going to fight tooth and nail to the very end in my support because I couldn't see things any other way. I don't think there was any question that before the season started we thought we'd be in the hunt for a playoff position. Well, we're right there. Let's go and get it.

You're crazy. :)

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Leafs will not go 7-3. Not a chance.

I can see 2-8 for the final 10 landing them out of the playoffs AGAIN.

They technically dont have to win 7 games. They just need to beat the wings in regulation and get 11 or 12 points anyway possible, overtime wins, losses, shootouts whatever it takes. They could go 5-2-3 and probably get in provided we beat the wings in regulation. 5-2-3 isnt impossible. Our last 6 games 4 of them are games WE SHOULD win as well. So if we win those 4 games and the game against the wings we just need to pick up 3 or 4 points elsewhere somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad