Maybe I'm crazy, but... official optimism thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingMatthews

popcorn.gif
Jan 14, 2009
Toronto
I don't think this team is dead. By a longshot.

We've seen all season the lack of consistency this team can display. Whether it be a prolonged winning or losing streak, we have that ability to either make or break an entire season in the last ten games. It's going to be a dogfight to the very end and the suffering may have just begun but I strangely feel like we'll turn things around.

Firstly, the key to this scenario is James Reimer. Here's a guy who worked his way up from junior hockey to the ECHL, the AHL and finally the big time. He captured all of our hearts and minds with his often spectacular goaltending and the ability to battle every shot like it was his last. Granted, it's not always the prettiest style, but for much of his NHL career he has gotten the job done. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on his time as a Maple Leaf just yet, even if this is likely his last season here. All he's ever done in his time as a Leaf was show up to battle, conduct himself professionally and endear himself to us with key saves in big moments. He single handedly saved our season in the playoffs last year against Boston in games 5 and 6. I agree that he must assert himself right now and get back to the level of play that he is quite capable of, but perhaps he just needs some encouragement from either Carlyle, his wife, his family or even us, the fans. With Bernier going down we must rely on James to save our season. I don't think we'd be misplacing our trust with him. But the support should be there. Does it really make a difference? Maybe not. But karmically? Who knows.

Realistically, we have to go maybe 6-4? 7-3? Let's look at the schedule.

Devils, Blues, Flyers, Wings, Flames, Bruins, Jets, Lightning, Panthers, Senators.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the only game I'm really worried about here is St. Louis. Being the inconsistent team that we are, they can capably go against basically every team here and bang out a win. Obviously Boston and Philly will be really tough games but in sports anything can happen. I'm no mathematician, but I'm guessing the law of averages should probably change things to our favour very soon. Our top line might suddenly get hot again and if Reimer can steal us a game or two, we might just be okay.

It's really terrible that we couldn't even squeak out a point tonight against our hated rivals. I thought aside from the weak goals and spotty coverage in the first period, we actually played good enough to win. At this point we need to find positives in just about anything. But I'm not ready to give up on this team, on the players or the coach. These are the ones we have, in place right now, and we can't do anything about that. A true fan to me supports his or her team no matter what the circumstances. I'm going to fight tooth and nail to the very end in my support because I couldn't see things any other way. I don't think there was any question that before the season started we thought we'd be in the hunt for a playoff position. Well, we're right there. Let's go and get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mar 26, 2010
Leafs will not go 7-3. Not a chance.

I can see 2-8 for the final 10 landing them out of the playoffs AGAIN.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
6-4 in that schedule is only possible with actual full team effort, including goaltending. We cannot be lettting in 4 goals a game with Reimer in net and make the post season.

Edit** Caps win, 4 teams within 2 points of each other

Last edited:

mikebel111*

Tomorrow lose and well bye bye playoffs.
Not that i will be watching the game anyway

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
still very much in it, just with this loss to MTL it's guarenteed to come down to like the last game of the season here.

and we essentially have to win the detroit game or we're basically eliminated.

and tomorrow is a must win too. We can afford maybe one or two more losses.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm going to go with the thread's title. Personally I think you are crazy :laugh:.

Send out a missing person's report because I haven't seen last season's Reimer for a while. Unfortunately his battling right now is like Russia in WW1 (it's not working).

The only hope they have to squeak this out is a quick and miraculous return for Bernier. They are running out of games and squandering points. The team isn't dead yet, but they they are in freefall off the cliff. Maybe they grab a ledge and pull themselves back up, but maybe they don't.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
They better be playing with 100% desperation and effort.

If they dog**** their way to a loss in New Jersey tomorrow, I'm done caring then. We better come out flying out of the ****ing gate tomorrow, this is desperation time. With the way the other racers are playing, we're probably going to need help from the out-of-town scoreboard to help our cause.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't think this team is dead. By a longshot.

We've seen all season the lack of consistency this team can display. Whether it be a prolonged winning or losing streak, we have that ability to either make or break an entire season in the last ten games. It's going to be a dogfight to the very end and the suffering may have just begun but I strangely feel like we'll turn things around.

Firstly, the key to this scenario is James Reimer. Here's a guy who worked his way up from junior hockey to the ECHL, the AHL and finally the big time. He captured all of our hearts and minds with his often spectacular goaltending and the ability to battle every shot like it was his last. Granted, it's not always the prettiest style, but for much of his NHL career he has gotten the job done. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on his time as a Maple Leaf just yet, even if this is likely his last season here. All he's ever done in his time as a Leaf was show up to battle, conduct himself professionally and endear himself to us with key saves in big moments. He single handedly saved our season in the playoffs last year against Boston in games 5 and 6. I agree that he must assert himself right now and get back to the level of play that he is quite capable of, but perhaps he just needs some encouragement from either Carlyle, his wife, his family or even us, the fans. With Bernier going down we must rely on James to save our season. I don't think we'd be misplacing our trust with him. But the support should be there. Does it really make a difference? Maybe not. But karmically? Who knows.

Realistically, we have to go maybe 6-4? 7-3? Let's look at the schedule.

Devils, Blues, Flyers, Wings, Flames, Bruins, Jets, Lightning, Panthers, Senators.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the only game I'm really worried about here is St. Louis. Being the inconsistent team that we are, they can capably go against basically every team here and bang out a win. Obviously Boston and Philly will be really tough games but in sports anything can happen. I'm no mathematician, but I'm guessing the law of averages should probably change things to our favour very soon. Our top line might suddenly get hot again and if Reimer can steal us a game or two, we might just be okay.

It's really terrible that we couldn't even squeak out a point tonight against our hated rivals. I thought aside from the weak goals and spotty coverage in the first period, we actually played good enough to win. At this point we need to find positives in just about anything. But I'm not ready to give up on this team, on the players or the coach. These are the ones we have, in place right now, and we can't do anything about that. A true fan to me supports his or her team no matter what the circumstances. I'm going to fight tooth and nail to the very end in my support because I couldn't see things any other way. I don't think there was any question that before the season started we thought we'd be in the hunt for a playoff position. Well, we're right there. Let's go and get it.

Sorry, I doubt we see Reimer carry us anywhere..

Bernier will be back and soon and we will make the playoffs....Bolland looked pretty good for a guy who miss 50 plus games, this will help as well...

I do agree that we make the playoffs...

Snacks Kassian

Mar 21, 2014
Vancouver
When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

TheThrill81*

When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

It's refreshing to read a post like that considering the flurry of stupidity and 18-wheeler nonsense that's been polluting this forum lately.

horner

May 22, 2007
It's refreshing to read a post like that considering the flurry of stupidity and 18-wheeler nonsense that's been polluting this forum lately.

Mentally Riemer checked out along time ago.
When you see the 18 - wheeler before your eyes that is not called polluting, its a fact.

Unless Bernier brings his calming approach to the Leafs we are done.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Leafs will lose. 100%
Then leave. If you have such negativity, why are you here? Go away, no one needs you here for this crap. But I'm sure, if the Leafs make the playoffs you'll be right here wont you?

This attitude disgusts me

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
This place is unbearable during losing streaks. On the odd occasion when I browse other teams boards they seem pretty sane when their team is doing poorly. It's the end of the world when our playoff chances are 50/50 here apparently.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
The official optimism thread!

Since we have a "Panic thread" i felt the need to create one of these.

IDGAF WHAT ANYONE SAYS, WE STILL HAVE 10 GAMES TO TURN THIS **** AROUND!

It starts with a win tonite, and am expecting a hard assed effort against St. Louis on Tuesday followed by a Philly game on Friday, and then do or die for Saturday against the Griffins.

Bernie should be back for tuesday.

We have 10 games left.... That gives us a max of 20 points

We have to win 6 most likely.

The last time the leafs dropped 4 straight they followed it up with a win against the devils on a Sunday night, and then went on to win their next 5.

Go leafs Go... We aint done yet!!! :yo:

TheThrill81*

Mentally Riemer checked out along time ago.
When you see the 18 - wheeler before your eyes that is not called polluting, its a fact.

When you have hallucinations about an 18-wheeler and become the boy who cried 18-wheeler, then it is polluting.

Unless Bernier brings his calming approach to the Leafs we are done.

Yes, I felt the same "calmness" against the likes of Carolina and New Jersey.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
2e4e8bcefd513c1d78584d29fa03b08d758f45acc05a0fbcaa1dc422b1c45688.jpg

GO LEAFS !!

I'm watching tonight if McIntyre plays.
Otherwise, I'll just do work.

Just-Optimism_c_114769.webp

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's not over til it's over.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

Go Leafs Go!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad