Max Reinhart or Markus Granlund

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'll go with Max Reinhart. I think he will be on the opening night roster and Granlund will not. I like both players though.

Who's gonna make a big move up? Last year we rated Bouma and Ortio among the bottom prospects and they both ended contributing on the big club. I'll go with Ferland.

We all knew Bouma was going to be on the team as Feaster had said he would have been last year if not for his injure, he was rated low because he is a 4th. I will be willing to bet that Granlund gets a spot over Reinhart.

I think Sieloff is going to surprise a lot of people.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really hate this "Granlund has a higher ceiling" stuff. He doesn't. He has a higher offensive ceiling and there is more to the game than offensive ability. When it comes to the defensive zone, physical play, penalty killing and leadership Reinhart has a higher ceiling in those areas. In the end they are both potential 2nd liners.

Ask yourself who has a higher ceiling, Patrick Kane or Jonathan Toews? That's what this comparison is like. You are comparing an offensive player that is adequate defensively to an all around player where every area of the game is solid. I am not saying either guy can reach those elite levels, but that's what this comparison is like.

It really bugs me when offensive potential is the only thing people consider in terms of "ceiling", it's like when you talk prospects people see to forget about anything by offensive ability.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think/hope Sieloff splits time between the A/NHL next season. I like him a lot, but he missed an entire year of development so he has some catching up to do. I think Wotherspoon may steal a spot next season, I was very impressed with him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think/hope Sieloff splits time between the A/NHL next season. I like him a lot, but he missed an entire year of development so he has some catching up to do. I think Wotherspoon may steal a spot next season, I was very impressed with him.
I think Seiloff should spend the year in the AHL, he needs to have a healthy year more than anything and missed more than a year of development because he missed significant time in Windsor as well.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I really hate this "Granlund has a higher ceiling" stuff. He doesn't. He has a higher offensive ceiling and there is more to the game than offensive ability. When it comes to the defensive zone, physical play, penalty killing and leadership Reinhart has a higher ceiling in those areas. In the end they are both potential 2nd liners.

Ask yourself who has a higher ceiling, Patrick Kane or Jonathan Toews? That's what this comparison is like. You are comparing an offensive player that is adequate defensively to an all around player where every area of the game is solid. I am not saying either guy can reach those elite levels, but that's what this comparison is like.

It really bugs me when offensive potential is the only thing people consider in terms of "ceiling", it's like when you talk prospects people see to forget about anything by offensive ability.

Reinhart does not have the offensive abilities to be a 2nd liner.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Reinhart does not have the offensive abilities to be a 2nd liner.
How do you figure? He was a point per game player for 2 years in the WHL, was just shy of being a point per game in his 2nd season in the AHL. And you don't think he has the potential to be a two-way 40 point player in the NHL? Because after all that's all it takes to be a 2nd liner.

I know it's the cool thing to be high on Granlund, but Granlund was struggling until he started playing with Reinhart, where as Max wasn't struggling prior to Granlund. In fact almost every single player that played with Max this season improved while playing with Reinhart. So I have zero doubt Reinhart can be a 2nd line forward, he makes players around him better, he produces at every level and has no major flaws in his game.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
How do you figure? He was a point per game player for 2 years in the WHL, was just shy of being a point per game in his 2nd season in the AHL. And you don't think he has the potential to be a two-way 40 point player in the NHL? Because after all that's all it takes to be a 2nd liner.

I know it's the cool thing to be high on Granlund, but Granlund was struggling until he started playing with Reinhart, where as Max wasn't struggling prior to Granlund. In fact almost every single player that played with Max this season improved while playing with Reinhart. So I have zero doubt Reinhart can be a 2nd line forward, he makes players around him better, he produces at every level and has no major flaws in his game.

Do you think Reinhart will be a full time NHL player with the Flames at the beginning of next season? or do you think he will go back to the AHL for a bit? Obviously it depends on training camp and what not, but just wondering what you think as you catch more AHL action than
most of us. I am a fan of Max Reinhart and I hope he can get a spot with the Flames asap. I really hope we can get Sam Reinhart in the upcoming draft!

I definitely want to pay more attention to the AHL Flames next season for sure.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do you think Reinhart will be a full time NHL player with the Flames at the beginning of next season? or do you think he will go back to the AHL for a bit? Obviously it depends on training camp and what not, but just wondering what you think as you catch more AHL action than
most of us. I am a fan of Max Reinhart and I hope he can get a spot with the Flames asap. I really hope we can get Sam Reinhart in the upcoming draft!

I definitely want to pay more attention to the AHL Flames next season for sure.
No, I think the only rookies with a shot at a full-time NHL gig next year would be Gaudreau or Baertschi for the 2nd/3rd LW hole. And then potentially Arnold or Knight for the 4th line C role, but I think that will be one of Bouma, Galiardi or someone from outside the organization.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Very, very tough one. Granlund has a lot of upside offensively while Max R. has a great two way game, pretty much repeating what everyone else is saying. I'd probably go with Markus Granlund if I had to pick.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
New poster and first post on this board and I can't vote yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing them play in the new season. Personally, I hope they both do well, but I believe Max Reinhart will be the more successful player... Although I've only watched 2 Heat games this year so really, what do I know.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Either way that 2011 draft is looking like one of our bests in a long long time

The 2011 draft class might end up being the one that defines Calgary for a long time, honestly.
You got what looks to be two top 6 LW'ers, a top 9 center/wing that was incredible his first season in NA, then you got a very solid shutdown dman who might end up being very solid (did not look out of place this season) as well as a prospect you were able to swing for another very good shutdown dman at the NHL level.

If people didn't follow that, we got Sven and JG, Granlund, Wotherspoon and traded Broissoit for Smid. It's mind blowing Calgary only had 5 picks that year, 4 of which will be NHL regulars, two might be stars, and one excess piece they moved for a younger veteran Dman that plays the exact way we need in Calgary.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The 2011 draft class might end up being the one that defines Calgary for a long time, honestly.
You got what looks to be two top 6 LW'ers, a top 9 center/wing that was incredible his first season in NA, then you got a very solid shutdown dman who might end up being very solid (did not look out of place this season) as well as a prospect you were able to swing for another very good shutdown dman at the NHL level.

If people didn't follow that, we got Sven and JG, Granlund, Wotherspoon and traded Broissoit for Smid. It's mind blowing Calgary only had 5 picks that year, 4 of which will be NHL regulars, two might be stars, and one excess piece they moved for a younger veteran Dman that plays the exact way we need in Calgary.
2011 appears that it was a great draft for the Flames, but it is with the 2013 draft this franchise will sink or swim for the next decade.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I would also submit 2012 as the wildcard draft. Jankowski, Sieloff and Gillies are real boom/bust players, but if they pan out they can make a substantial difference to our team. That draft won't sink us, but it could lift our boat significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad