Value of: Max Domi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
One of the most underrated offensive guys in the league. Crazy good hands with elite speed and he always ends up playing 11 minutes a game with bottom 6 guys weirdly enough. In Montreal his best fit chemistry wise was Andrew Shaw. Weird player. Could have great numbers in a good fit.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Domi is a guy I rather sign next off season to a cheaper one year contract to see what he has. Not worth losing any assets over.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Still scratching my head why Seattle didn't take him in the expansion draft if only to get an asset at the TDL, instead opting for a guy they never intended to keep.

Reactions: Extra Texture

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Still scratching my head why Seattle didn't take him in the expansion draft if only to get an asset at the TDL, instead opting for a guy they never intended to keep.
There's a theory that they were going to select Kivlenieks, who passed away just before the draft. Out of respect (?), they took no one. Like I said, it's a theory.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
There's a theory that they were going to select Kivlenieks, who passed away just before the draft. Out of respect (?), they took no one. Like I said, it's a theory.
I didn't know that - thanks! If true, definitely helps to explain such a bizzare selection.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
That's not a bad trade in general for a rebuilding squad. Get a little something for Domi this year and maybe a little something for Kerfoot next year.

The issue might be that Columbus has too many forwards incoming. They've got a logjam to sort out. Might be better to keep it strictly in terms of picks and prospects.

Yeah, Kerfoot to me certainly seems like a Columbus-type player.. with the question of course being, does he fit on a team with a lot of mid-level forwards.

Obviously, the preference from Toronto would be to add Domi @ 50% and trade Kerfoot in the offseason, but if they're not going to use Muzzin's LTIR space, then that of course will be an issue.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
To me, the question about who wants him also comes back to where he plays.

He was mostly a center in Montreal, and one with defensive issues in general. That was fine for a bad team retooling, but he couldn't get away with it as soon as the Habs had a defensively responsible option.

He wasn't effective as a winger in Montreal, so it'll be buyer beware for anyone getting him as a 2nd line winger, for example.
I would argue he got away with it while his shooting percentage in 2018-19 was reminiscent of 2010 playoffs Cammalleri. He couldn't miss. You're right though, I have yet to see him play the wing and look 'right' doing it.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Why trade for him when we can just sign him for free in the offseason? - HFLogic
Because he's a rental on an expiring contract that can fit under most caps (CBJ could also retain) that would add scoring depth to, ya know, try to win the Stanley Cup and not the HF Prospects Cup?

Reactions: CBJx614

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Domi has exclusively played on the wing. Took a bit to figure it out and actually accept it. He's been a great teammate and while I can't speak to those with the headcase comment, he is far from it in Columbus. Guy is great to his team and wonderful in the community. Under different circumstances I would love for Columbus to keep and re-sign him. However, he's a middle 6 wing who's played on nothing but middling to bad teams. He's contributing as a top 6 scorer and the dude has some high end skill and speed to his game. He's a setup guy, not a goal scorer and as his minutes have grown the last 20 games or so he's been even better. I attribute much of that to his acceptance that he isn't a center.

A guy on another middling team, playing 3rd line wing and scoring at a top 6 rate with speed, skill and a little snarl would be welcome, I would think, on a lot of playoff teams. I think he'd be a great fit in Boston personally. I also think Columbus would gladly retain up to 50% if needed to maximize the return. Also could see they making a little bigger deal by adding a guy like Bemstrom (RFA @ 22 years old) to give the receiving team an asset to retain and also with some upside. Just hasn't worked in Columbus for whatever reason.

Reactions: Fro

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I don’t think domi fits in Colorado's room. I think we need bottom six that are hard to play against. No offer, I’ll just pass

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
can't imagine him being worth much (to other teams). 3rd rounder maybe.

hefty cap hit and someone who would be playing down in the lineup and doesn't offer much apart from some dpeth scoring, like he is on columbus. they probably just keep him

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Hmm. Domi on Colorado just kind of fits, mentally. A little more depth scoring and some chippiness. If he manages to hit a montreal-level groove, that would be a great add to an already loaded Colorado team.
You could ask this about alot of Seattle's selections, tbh.

Once they were denied the same buffet of GMing stupidity that greeted VGK, and got refusals for their high priced requests, that could've been a viable strategy, IMO. Take a bunch of established guys on short term deals, hope they light it up, and then move most of them at the TDL when prices are sky high. And retain on their contracts for even more.

I suppose getting a bunch of big names and then trading them 9 months later is a bad way to start off with a new fanbase, but if it resulted in a bevvy of picks and futures that turn the team good in 2-3 years, that would be well worth it, IMO.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would argue he got away with it while his shooting percentage in 2018-19 was reminiscent of 2010 playoffs Cammalleri. He couldn't miss. You're right though, I have yet to see him play the wing and look 'right' doing it.
Yeah because you haven't watched him in years.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Yeah because you haven't watched him in years.
Do you work for my cable provider? How would you know what, and how much, I watch?

He was traded two seasons ago. Being an Eastern Conference team, I see them plenty enough to know he's not improved the aspects of his game on the wing that he'd need to in order to be an effective bottom six player on a deep team.

Buh-bye major redundancy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Do you work for my cable provider? How would you know what, and how much, I watch?

He was traded two seasons ago. Being an Eastern Conference team, I see them plenty enough to know he's not improved the aspects of his game on the wing that he'd need to in order to be an effective bottom six player on a deep team.

Buh-bye major redundancy.
Domi doesn't play wing like he did in Montreal. He looks much more comfortable carrying the puck from the blueline up on the side, and the fact that he has one of the best primary assist rates in the league as a winger should confirm that. The easy answer here is that you are just another poster pretending to know how blue jackets players play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad