Value of: Max Domi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
For reference Colorado right now have $3m in deadline capspace. Domi at 50% retained would have a caphit of $2.65m, so Avs can take him on without any money going out.

The Avs most tradeable assets here are: Kaut, Ranta, Bowers, JT Compher, and 3rd round picks in either 2022 or 2023.

I would guess that Sakic would prefer to keep the Avs' 2023 1st and their 3 best prospects: Barron, Behrens, and Olausson.

1647483151941.png

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
To me, the question about who wants him also comes back to where he plays.

He was mostly a center in Montreal, and one with defensive issues in general. That was fine for a bad team retooling, but he couldn't get away with it as soon as the Habs had a defensively responsible option.

He wasn't effective as a winger in Montreal, so it'll be buyer beware for anyone getting him as a 2nd line winger, for example.

Reactions: Fenris

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

He was mostly a center in Montreal, and one with defensive issues in general. That was fine for a bad team retooling, but he couldn't get away with it as soon as the Habs had a defensively responsible option.

He wasn't effective as a winger in Montreal, so it'll be buyer beware for anyone getting him as a 2nd line winger, for example.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Colorado would acquire him to play at 3LW as a playmaker for Newhook who is a pretty good shooter.

This season Domi is 12th in the league in 5v5 primary assists per 60 while playing mostly on the 3rd line for Columbus. His 2.42 points/60 is 41st among forwards and 2nd only to Laine (2.44) on CBJ.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Thinking that he might fit perfectly in Boston... learn from the best rat in the game, and potentially fill that 2nd line C spot.

I know Toronto wasn't mentioned, and that this type of deal would certainly be unconventional, but what about Max Domi @ 50% for Alex Kerfoot & a 3rd?

Obviously, not the haul of picks that Columbus would theoretically hope for, but get a serviceable player at $1.8m less with 1 year remaining for next year. Also worthwhile noting that Kerfoot has less than $3m remaining on his contract ($2.7 next year, 1/3 of $750k this year). Domi's real dollars is about $2m for the balance of this season.

From Toronto's standpoint, it would free up $850k in cap space to use elsewhere (assuming they're not going to utilize Muzzin's LTIR); and give them a different, more fiesty look on that 2nd line LW. Obviously, one of Kerfoot's important elements he brings to the team is the ability to play C in the top 6 in case of injury or suspension... which of course Domi has shown the ability to do in the past as well.

Domi's much more of a setup guy than a goalscorer... give him weapons like Tavares & Nylander; and it could be really, really dangerous.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Colorado would acquire him to play at 3LW as a playmaker for Newhook who is a pretty good shooter.

This season Domi 12th in the league in 5v5 primary assists per 60 while playing mostly on the 3rd line for Columbus. His 2.42 points/60 is 41st among forwards and 2nd only to Laine (2.44) on CBJ.
He can definitely create offense, and as such could be a strong depth option for a contender. If he's given room and lesser opposition, he'll make teams pay on the scoreboard.

Reactions: Richard88

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
At this point we all should know what Domi is. He’s not a difference maker. His compensation will be along the lines of what Nyquist’s was a couple of years ago.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
The thing I’ve found about Domi was that he loved playing in the spotlight. He enjoys the pressure and the cameras. He has terrific vision and a quality shot, but he’s not good defensively, and can be lazy/take stupid penalties when not fully engaged. Tough enough too, but nowhere in his old man’s area code. Think he’d be a terrific guy to use on a third line to exploit weaker matchups, but you’d have to play him with a solid two way center with some offensive abilities.

Reactions: pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The thing I’ve found about Domi was that he loved playing in the spotlight. He enjoys the pressure and the cameras. He has terrific vision and a quality shot, but he’s not good defensively, and can be lazy/take stupid penalties when not fully engaged. Tough enough too, but nowhere in his old man’s area code. Think he’d be a terrific guy to use on a third line to exploit weaker matchups, but you’d have to play him with a solid two way center with some offensive abilities.
I think that sums him up pretty well.
I see him as guy who won't win a championship simply because he isn't a high-end offensive producer, and he's too inconsistent defensively to be given a support role. A support role as a rented player might be the best situation for him to go deep in the playoffs.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I think that sums him up pretty well.
I see him as guy who won't win a championship simply because he isn't a high-end offensive producer, and he's too inconsistent defensively to be given a support role. A support role as a rented player might be the best situation for him to go deep in the playoffs.
Reminds me of what we say about DeBrusk; too streaky for top 6 and too shaky in his own zone to be bottom 6.

Reactions: pth2

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Worth a second provided he allows the new team to put the letters "HC" on the front of his new jersey (Head Case).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That might be old news.

Domi has been a winger in Columbus all year and has one of the highest scoring rates on the team (5v5 P/60), and his defense hasn't been talked about at all one way or the other.

He might have changed something or maybe just experience led to some improvements. He looks much more comfortable carrying the puck on the wing now.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This season Domi is 12th in the league in 5v5 primary assists per 60 while playing mostly on the 3rd line for Columbus. His 2.42 points/60 is 41st among forwards and 2nd only to Laine (2.44) on CBJ.
And that scoring is as a winger. Whatever issue he had in Montreal at wing appears to be long gone.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Reminds me of what we say about DeBrusk; too streaky for top 6 and too shaky in his own zone to be bottom 6.

That's funny. Domi is scoring at a topline rate from the Jackets' third line and his defensive play is not an issue for the Jackets.

Domi - 2.37 P/60
Debrusk - 1.66 P/60

Domi - 1.19 A1/60 (primary assists, one of the better numbers in the league)
Debrusk - 0.35 A1/60

Not the same.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thinking that he might fit perfectly in Boston... learn from the best rat in the game, and potentially fill that 2nd line C spot.

I know Toronto wasn't mentioned, and that this type of deal would certainly be unconventional, but what about Max Domi @ 50% for Alex Kerfoot & a 3rd?
That's not a bad trade in general for a rebuilding squad. Get a little something for Domi this year and maybe a little something for Kerfoot next year.

The issue might be that Columbus has too many forwards incoming. They've got a logjam to sort out. Might be better to keep it strictly in terms of picks and prospects.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
That's funny. Domi is scoring at a topline rate from the Jackets' third line and his defensive play is not an issue for the Jackets.

Domi - 2.37 P/60
Debrusk - 1.66 P/60

Domi - 1.19 A1/60 (primary assists, one of the better numbers in the league)
Debrusk - 0.35 A1/60

Not the same.

I wasn't comparing the two; I said that the person above was saying the same things about his position on a team as we say in Boston. Sounds like he's a great fit in Columbus as your third line forward.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad