Player Discussion Max Domi - The Maximum Dominator (70+ Point) Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What? Lol.

You think Domi would be on pace for a 40 point season when he was 18 years old? Or you think progression is not in the future for Kotkaniemi since he's already in the NHL?

I have a feeling that when it's all set and done, Domi will be a PPG play making right winger with Kotkaniemi.
I'm not looking at KK's point production. I'm looking at his play. My guts tell me Domi will be the #1 center for this team. KK does not have the skills to be a #1. I know I'm probably in the minority of one when it comes to that opinion but Kotkaniemi does not strike me as a #1 center...ever. Domi is a superior skater, has better stick handling skills and I would say his vision and hockey IQ is better. Also, Domi's shot is more accurate but not as powerful.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm not looking at KK's point production. I'm looking at his play. My guts tell me Domi will be the #1 center for this team. KK does not have the skills to be a #1. I know I'm probably in the minority of one when it comes to that opinion but Kotkaniemi does not strike me as a #1 center...ever. Domi is a superior skater, has better stick handling skills and I would say his vision and hockey IQ is better. Also, Domi's shot is more accurate but not as powerful.

I’m not sure how anyone can see KK as the youngest person in the NHL and not think he’s a future all star center. He has elite vision, shot, sense and passing skills. Not to mention he’s a black hole in the defensive zone for the other teams offence.

Don’t know what else you’d want for a 18 year old who as many points in the NHL as he did in the Finnish league last year.

He will be a future no. 1 center.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016

Definitely in the minority on that one. He's extremely young, coming over from Europe and playing on the third line of a team that was expected to be in the bottom 10 of the league and Kotkaniemi is still on pace for 40~ points. His play away from the puck is already encouragingly good.There is no such thing as that without having the potential of being a first line player.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I’m not sure how anyone can see KK as the youngest person in the NHL and not think he’s a future all star center. He has elite vision, shot, sense and passing skills. Not to mention he’s a black hole in the defensive zone for the other teams offence.

Don’t know what else you’d want for a 18 year old who as many points in the NHL as he did in the Finnish league last year.

He will be a future no. 1 center.
I've seen other 18 year-olds come and impress and then stay at that level: Mario Tremblay, Weickenhesier, Galchenyuk and that's just on the Habs. KK does not have elite vision. He has good vision. His shot is not elite, it's decent when he gets it on target. His skating is mediocre and he needs to resolve his balance issues. Don't get me wrong. He'll be a very good #2. But I don't buy the hype being peddled about this kid. Especially on this bi-polar forum. I can see in three, four years many fans turning on him because he didn't grow into what they were hoping for.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Wow, just, wow.

Reactions: NobleSix

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
What's the problem with running 4 good centers? Move him to wing or trade him then if Poehling if makes him expendable. Not a big deal.

Kotkaniemi and Domi give us two good offensive centers in the top-6 for the first time in 20 years and people can't wait to change that to... accommodate Danault lol?

Stamkos-Point, Kuzya-Backstrom, Matthews-Tavares, this is what your competition is icing. Danault sure as hell shouldn't be the threshold for the 2C spot. If Poehling can't beat out Domi than our third line will be that much stronger with him.
If Poehling beats out Danault, that could suggest that he would be worthy of the 2C spot. A guy like Domi could be just as effective on the wing. If Poehling is better than Danault and ends up being to good to play 3C then something would have to give. Kotkaniemi takes the #1 spot, now we have Domi and Poehling for the #2 spot, you cannot put Poehling at the wing, he’s a natural centerman, no NHL team would do that as a full time plan. Domi on the other hand can easily slide onto the wing and be just as effective or even more effective offensively. It’s a great problem to have if we ever get there. So Kotkaniemi-Domi or Kotkaniemi-Poehling, either way we’re in business if Poehling pans out. As long as Danault finds his way naturally down to the 3C we will be fine. Or if Poehling ends up being our 3C we should be fine as well. Either way, we are looking pretty good at center for the future.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Max is amazing, grit skills heart, everything you look for in a player!! I remember all the comments of the HF drama queens after the sucker punch on Ekblad!!

Its just too bad we had to give up Chucky to get him, I was watching him yesterday in Zona and he would help the PP tremendously and even 5 on 5, having a shooter would do wonders to that passing first forward group!!!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Max is amazing, grit skills heart, everything you look for in a player!! I remember all the comments of the HF drama queens after the sucker punch on Ekblad!!

Its just too bad we had to give up Chucky to get him, I was watching him yesterday in Zona and he would help the PP tremendously and even 5 on 5, having a shooter would do wonders to that passing first forward group!!!

MON just needs to find another shooter, on top of the possibility that Suzuki becomes one as well a little later on.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I've seen other 18 year-olds come and impress and then stay at that level: Mario Tremblay, Weickenhesier, Galchenyuk and that's just on the Habs. KK does not have elite vision. He has good vision. His shot is not elite, it's decent when he gets it on target. His skating is mediocre and he needs to resolve his balance issues. Don't get me wrong. He'll be a very good #2. But I don't buy the hype being peddled about this kid. Especially on this bi-polar forum. I can see in three, four years many fans turning on him because he didn't grow into what they were hoping for.

I don’t know what your expectations are for a no. 1 center but in reality, he has not only the tools and the toolbox, he’s demonstrated at 18 that he knows how to use them too.

Sorry but I do t agree with your analysis.

Reactions: Miller Time

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
If Poehling beats out Danault, that could suggest that he would be worthy of the 2C spot.
You can put him in the 2C spot even if he doesn't surpass Domi, you're just gonna come up short against the top teams' best centers.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
As a poster who has frequently commented on the team’s ‘success’ this year being a function of the noticeable upgrade in the team’s increased level of speed, I would only comment that having elite speed is not a prerequisite for a player being considered a #1 center. There are ample examples of players who are not seen as speed merchants (Barkov) who achieve this designation due to a combination of factors: strong skating, ice presence and vision, high skills; size and elite compete and leadership attributes. In Kotkaniemi’s case he has, at the age of 18, already exhibited that he possesses some of these traits including a superior vision of the ice that allows him to often pass to areas of the ice where a teammate is going to be rather than trying to pass directly to a player . This anticipation, or vision, for such a young player, bodes well in attempting to project what type of a player he will develop into. Perhaps over the next few years as he matures physically, Kotkaniemi will gain a half or even a full step in his speed making him an even more imposing player. If not, he will still be a core player on this team but will always be viewed as the player taken when the team had an opportunity to select a more impactive player.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
As a poster who has frequently commented on the team’s ‘success’ this year being a function of the noticeable upgrade in the team’s increased level of speed, I would only comment that having elite speed is not a prerequisite for a player being considered a #1 center. There are ample examples of players who are not seen as speed merchants (Barkov) who achieve this designation due to a combination of factors: strong skating, ice presence and vision, high skills; size and elite compete and leadership attributes. In Kotkaniemi’s case he has, at the age of 18, already exhibited that he possesses some of these traits including a superior vision of the ice that allows him to often pass to areas of the ice where a teammate is going to be rather than trying to pass directly to a player . This anticipation, or vision, for such a young player, bodes well in attempting to project what type of a player he will develop into. Perhaps over the next few years as he matures physically, Kotkaniemi will gain a half or even a full step in his speed making him an even more imposing player. If not, he will still be a core player on this team but will always be viewed as the player taken when the team had an opportunity to select a more impactive player.
You may have misunderstood me. I'm not saying he's not going to make the NHL. From what I've seen, I think he'll level off as a #2 center man especially if Domi is still on this team. I agree with you he'll be a core player. I just don't see this super stud #1 center man that many of the younger posters are raving about.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Don't know if the vision is elite but it's better than 'good'. And his shot is sure as hell better than 'decent'.

His development curve has been crazy. Really don't know how much better he can be.

I think there could be a 1a 1b scenario. That's more likely than him being signficantly lesser than Domi. I was in your space at first but I'm becoming a believer now.

Most likely scenarios I'll rank in order of most likely

1) Solid #1
2) Superstar #1
3) Really good #2

That's how I see it. I feel like #1 is only a bit more likely at this case than #2 and #3 is a lot less likely than the first 2 but definitely not impossible.

Reactions: calder candidate

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The hope with Galchenyuk as a 18 year old is not the same as Kotkaniemi IMO. In terms of offensive, you can make a case. But in terms of complete game and vision for a center, it's not close. He has shown a lot of maturity and ability to adapt at the age of 18 while players like Galchenyuk and Drouin are only touching this now.

My only issue with Kotkaniemi is he needs to get stronger. And he will. He's playing in a 18 year old body with a 23 year old mentality and this is why he struggles in the physical parts of the game.

It will be interesting to see how hungry Kotkaniemi is to improve his game and add some muscle this off season. Look at Poehling between his draft year and his draft +1 year. He said it himself, he though he was outmatched due to strength and went to add some muscle in the off season. It clearly helped his game.

As far as Domi... I'd like to see him moved to wing once Poehling is ready so he becomes our version of Marchand. Take the 200' game responsibility and face offs off his plate and allow him to go on attack mode. For now, we need him at center. We will see later on

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I beg to differ. I saw Tremblay at 18, I've seen Doug at 18, and they never, ever exhibited thiks kids'talent and saavy. Never seen an 18 year old display his talents with the Habs ever in my existence. I believe he will be an impactful 1st line center a la Bobby Smith. I'm 52.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

KK is 18yo he will never have Domi skating or flashy stick handling but he can keep up and he is great stick handler, he is able to turn guys inside out, is IQ and vision are already on par or better than Domi. He is already better defensively and he has the size and reach. His shoot should also improve as well, look at the progression he made from rookie camp to now it isn’t hard to think he could step in has a real #1 in the next 2 years.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Kk is already better than...domi...defensively.

Domi surprised me in his own zone...but kk is better...at 18.

Kk is a a toews, bergeron, kopitar in the making.

Domi is a different player than those guys...not in a bad or good way.

Bergeron surprised everybody at 18 with Boston.....and he was NOT better than kk at 18..

Reactions: calder candidate

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
I like to pick up a card or two from Habs I like, this one just came back from grading, happy it got Gem.

50E8DF27-ABDF-4FD2-A1F2-0EE96AC46925_zpsbzwiexcx.jpeg

6AE6B43E-8A4B-41D0-9CE2-510C24D82814_zpsgfagy2qp.jpeg

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
if im bergevin i would start the talk with his agents this summer, kids a f***ing beast. Wing or Center, he's a keeper and a great one!

You know he'll only get better, try and lock him long term 7M before he gets even better, he might bait for money security who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad