Rumor: Matvei Michkov terminates his contract with SKA and continues his career in Philadelphia

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Did he even grant an interview? He was so cagey with who he'd speak to. I don't draft a kid that I can't sit down with.
Better to have done that before the draft than to pull the shit Gauthier did

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I love Michkov and I think there’s a world where he’s challenging Bedard as the most dynamic player of this draft, for sure.

But let’s calm down with the “oh everybody else looks so dumb hahaha” BS. Talk about off-season overreaction and hand-wringing. Everybody knew there was a very high likelihood that Michkov, his agent and his new NHL team were going to work an out for him well before his lengthy KHL contract ended. This isn’t some “wow I can’t believe this is happening you fools!!!” situation.

I’d say the Jackets and Ducks are just perfectly satisfied with their boss young franchise centers who showed you everything you wanted as 18 year-old NHL rookies last year. And quite frankly the Sharks have got to be excited about Smith who was just effervescent in the NCAA.

The top of this class was loaded. Super excited to see Michkov next season.

But some of this is a little much.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Almost every team that passed on him is about to look stupid as shit, lol.
Biggest reason that he fell was his contract in the KHL, he’s going to play in the NHL sooner than players drafted above him. Lots of teams about to look dumb now.
It's really just Montreal and Arizona - the other 4 teams are happy with their potential big #1 centers

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
It's really just Montreal and Arizona - the other 4 teams are happy with their potential big #1 centers
I think even the guys that got their stud centers will still feel very stupid when they see just how good Michkov is. And how they could have gotten him if they weren't so scared by the KHL factor.

Reactions: Fatass and FlyguyOX

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Curious to see how he meshes with Tortarella. I think a lot of people think they won’t work well together but I have a hunch that it’ll actually be the opposite!

Reactions: Devonator

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I love Michkov and I think there’s a world where he’s challenging Bedard as the most dynamic player of this draft, for sure.

But let’s calm down with the “oh everybody else looks so dumb hahaha” BS. Talk about off-season overreaction and hand-wringing. Everybody knew there was a very high likelihood that Michkov, his agent and his new NHL team were going to work an out for him well before his lengthy KHL contract ended. This isn’t some “wow I can’t believe this is happening you fools!!!” situation.

I’d say the Jackets and Ducks are just perfectly satisfied with their boss young franchise centers who showed you everything you wanted as 18 year-old NHL rookies last year. And quite frankly the Sharks have got to be excited about Smith who was just effervescent in the NCAA.

The top of this class was loaded. Super excited to see Michkov next season.

But some of this is a little much.
If you say so.

I saw a whole lot more “who knows if he’ll even come over, EVER!!” than I saw “I’m sure the team that drafts him can get him out of his contract”.

Curious to see how he meshes with Tortarella. I think a lot of people think they won’t work well together but I have a hunch that it’ll actually be the opposite!
Considering some of the negative rumors about Michkov came out because he gave it to his teammates because he was sick of losing, I think he’ll fit well with Torts disgust of losing

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's a pretty big move, assuming it's true. That seems like really burning a bridge over there. Though if he's gonna stick in the NHL, i guess it doesn't really matter. Probably teams over there who would be willing to look past it anyway, for a player of his talent level.

Big for Philly too...since part of the reason they got him where they did in the first place, was clearly some concern about when he'd come over.

Also makes you wonder if they don't feel a little bit more urgency to move a winger or two from their somewhat surplus stock to help make some room for Michkov on their NHL roster.

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
kinda weird that Briere just told a Quebec podcast that they havent talked to him since the draft, and he had absolutely no clue when he is going to cross the pond

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Makes all the teams who drafted 2-6 look pretty stupid considering the main downside is now negated.

I am happy with Will Smith but still Michkov should have been in the conversation at least

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
did not expect to see that happen, it seems so rare that KHL clubs let young players out of their contracts. One reason I didn't want the Habs to pick him was because I was at least a little concerned that he would end up staying a year or two past the 3 year deal.

Not a big fan so far of the Reinbacher pick so this one could sting soon. I've said I think he reminds me a bit of Caufield but better playmaker, so philly is going to be adding a skilled sniper for sure. Looking forward to seeing him in the NHL.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
kinda weird that Briere just told a Quebec podcast that they havent talked to him since the draft, and he had absolutely no clue when he is going to cross the pond
Given the trials and tribulations involved in getting some of our other Russian prospects over here, I would probably play my cards close to the vest in his shoes, too. Better not to get too far ahead of ourselves, especially since the team can't negotiate/pay for his release; that has to be done by the player directly.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Itll be interesting, hopefully Torts doesnt try and turn him into a shot blocking roleplayer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad