Matvei Michkov: 9 points in first 8 NHL games

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I’m happy for Flyers fans. They got an amazing, special player. Who would have seen that coming (re: Michkov being as good, if not better than most expected)? :sarcasm:

Still sad AF our management decided to go off-board (because that’s worked out so well for us many times in the past) and get, uh, Reinbacher. The draft pick looked horrible when it happened, and looks even worse today lol.

Reactions: Devonator

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
All elite guys can make nice passes. Michkov has incredibly high hockey iq. He makes passes others don’t see. Demidov will carry the puck a lot more than Michkov to create space to make a pass because he needs that extra time to read the play. Totally different levels of hockey iq
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
All elite guys can make nice passes. Michkov has incredibly high hockey iq. He makes passes others don’t see. Demidov will carry the puck a lot more than Michkov to create space to make a pass because he needs that extra time to read the play. Totally different levels of hockey iq.

2lw2hq.jpg

The Chuck Norris of hockey

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Don't agree with more dominant. Bedard has the shot / speed advantage currently, but Michkov is able to control the puck through contact and board play in a way Bedard cannot, due to his stature. Bedard is kind of frail in a way, not a knock on him just he's not built very thick? Michkov is more fire hydrant type he bounces off guys, it's a big advantage for Michkov. That being said, they're both 19, who knows how this all ends.
Have you seen the tree trunks on Bedard? That kid is not frail.

Bedard is listed at like 10pounds heavier than Michkov

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
The Habs passed on him at #5, but so did the Coyotes at #6. This guy should have been #2 after Bedard. They didn't call him the "Russian Connor Bedard" for nothing. With the Russians still being inexplicably banned from the WJC we lost a great opportunity to see him and Bedard go head to head. So the fans missed out on that, but the scouts still should have known how good this kid was. Both the Coyotes and Habs drafted players that are not in the NHL yet. Michkov is probably the Calder favourite at this moment. Just bad management to pass up on him. I was stunned it took 7 teams to finally take him.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If every player cashed in on most of their chances, they’d have more points.

That is just the nature of sports. Not all the chances you recreate results in points and goals
This is true but we saw it with Bedard countless times last season where the team he’s on is so freaking shit that they routinely flub chances Bedard would set up for them, fumble passes, not be in the right spot on the ice, etc…

I do agree it’s dumb to count it in general or count posts-hit and use that to boost some player’s numbers.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
The Habs passed on him at #5, but so did the Coyotes at #6. This guy should have been #2 after Bedard. They didn't call him the "Russian Connor Bedard" for nothing. With the Russians still being inexplicably banned from the WJC we lost a great opportunity to see him and Bedard go head to head. So the fans missed out on that, but the scouts still should have known how good this kid was. Both the Coyotes and Habs drafted players that are not in the NHL yet. Michkov is probably the Calder favourite at this moment. Just bad management to pass up on him. I was stunned it took 7 teams to finally take him.
"Inexplicably"

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
I admit I’m not sure of what the positional needs of Arizona at the time were and maybe someone can correct me and shed some light on the reasoning. But even then, you still take the best player available. And there is no way this Simashev kid was/is a better prospect than Michkov. And picking Simashev clearly threw the Russian factor out the window. So, if anything, the most egregious pass to me is Arizona. Even if picks 2-5 turn out to be complete busts, at least you can excuse it on fears over the Russian uncertainty. But when Arizona passed on him for another Russian it was like wtf…

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I don't even watch the Blackhawks games but he is dominant playmaking wise based on the eye test? His shot is his biggest factor and his future production is giving me Matthews "36-46 assists" vibes lol
Well he has 45 assists in his first 77 games in the NHL

Reactions: JFedol

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I admit I’m not sure of what the positional needs of Arizona at the time were and maybe someone can correct me and shed some light on the reasoning. But even then, you still take the best player available. And there is no way this Simashev kid was/is a better prospect than Michkov. And picking Simashev clearly threw the Russian factor out the window. So, if anything, the most egregious pass to me is Arizona. Even if picks 2-5 turn out to be complete busts, at least you can excuse it on fears over the Russian uncertainty. But when Arizona passed on him for another Russian it was like wtf…
They had Cooley and Keller, no way did they need Michkov even if Michkov was willing to live in a dorm room and play in a HS arena.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Caufield would get 50 for sure with Michkov.

Caufield already has Suzuki and doesn't need a Michkov or Demidov to score 50. Kid has already paced close to 50 already as a mere rookie and sophomore, netting 48 goals in 83 games from the moment MSL was hired up to his shoulder injury, and was pacing 45 goals for that season before he got sidelined in January 2023. Last year he came off his rehab for his surgery and had the lowest shooting % since he was a toddler. His shoulder and shot seem to be back up to their usual standards as he has 16 goals in his last 18 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad