Matvei Michkov: 9 points in first 8 NHL games

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Demidov is a better passer than Michkov, so I'm not too worried about Caufield's goal count in the future, but I would've prefered having both Demidov and Michkov.
Michkov’s greatest gift is his elite hockey iq. He’s a phenomenal passer because of that. Demidov is far more a puck carrier than a passer.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Michkov’s greatest gift is his elite hockey iq. He’s a phenomenal passer because of that. Demidov is far more a puck carrier than a passer.

I've watched them both a lot. Demidov's hockey IQ is just as good. Demidov is less in control with his stickhandling though, but controls his space better.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalderCup
Apr 26, 2016
Hartford, CT
I think Mitchkov is better since he has a more complete game and nastier to play against. Bedard is good but he is soft imo. Maybe that will change in the future.
I ranked Michkov 1st overall & Bedard 2nd overall in my draft rankings thread that year, but I don't think this is true. I think Bedard is much stronger and much meaner than Michkov.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
As a hockey fan we are blessed that Montreal did not get the opportunity to ruin Michkov’s development

I am not surprised that Michkov refused to play for montreal, Montreal cannot develop their lottery picks: Kotkaniemi, slaf, reinbacher etc. all of them looking like the wrong pick shortly after joining the habs
Incredibly silly comment for 2 reasons:

1. He never refused to play for Montreal.
2. Philly had no part whatsoever in developing him.

SlobKnox

Oct 16, 2024
Spoken like someone who hasn't watched both of them play. Demidov is better playmaker while Michkov is a better scorer. Demidov controls the play while Michkov drives the play.

Have seen both play for years also seen Demidov do plenty of bone head passes. Don’t confuse flash with being a better playmaker.

Demidov has never in his life been a better playmaker than Michkov even this season Demidov is being compared to Michkov in a season in which he had long pneumonia and was in and out of games. I like Demidov but this is getting outrageous

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I've watched them both a lot. Demidov's hockey IQ is just as good. Demidov is less in control with his stickhandling though, but controls his space better.
Much lesser league in Russia. Guys who can’t make it here become top scorers there. Demidov looks good for sure. But if he tries to play like he does there (puck carrier and not a passer) his likelihood of success drops a lot.

SlobKnox

Oct 16, 2024
What a shock that this became a conversation about Demidov.

Sticking to the subject: Michkov is very, very good at hockey. And god bless him

It’s a bitter agenda.

In two years people will universally agree that Bedard and Michkov were the best talents to come out of these two drafts

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
As a Habs fan I can tell you don't really follow the team and base yourself on past reputation. Suzuki, Caufield and Slafkovsky haven't been ruined by the Habs while being the three best offensive players we've integrated to the team in the last few years, and I doubt this new management will ruin Demidov and Hage, nor would they have ruined Michkov.

There's absolutely no proof Michkov did not want to play for Montreal as contrarily to Phoenix, he did not refuse to meet the Habs. It's on record that they met. If he didn't want to play for Montreal, he would've simply done like he did with the Yotes, by simply refusing to meet them.

There's also the fact Nick Bobrov had an inside track on SKA, as his father is still in the organization, and in all likelyhood, Habs didn't like what they heard on his personality and thought it wouldn't mesh in Montreal. They clearly didn't have the same outlook with Demidov, another product of SKA, same inside track on the team, with Bobrov.
Well then, Thank you Montreal.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As a hockey fan we are blessed that Montreal did not get the opportunity to ruin Michkov’s development

I am not surprised that Michkov refused to play for montreal, Montreal cannot develop their lottery picks: Kotkaniemi, slaf, reinbacher etc. all of them looking like the wrong pick shortly after joining the habs

Hasn't Slaf been great lately?

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I ranked Michkov 1st overall & Bedard 2nd overall in my draft rankings thread that year, but I don't think this is true. I think Bedard is much stronger and much meaner than Michkov.
Mean ? I think strength wise it would be pretty close . Both are stocky ish . But out of the 2 I’d say Michkov plays w more a chip on his shoulder than Bedard .

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalderCup
Apr 26, 2016
Hartford, CT
Bedard has the much better skating, hands, and shot. The combination of being undersized + not the greatest skater is tough to overcome, so I could see him taking a while to really reach his potential. The fact he's producing like this in spite of that, shows how good he is; but I honestly thought he'd look a little better by the eye test than he has. His best asset is by far is hockey IQ. He doesn't have the most elite tools, reminds me a bit of a forward version of Adam Fox.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalderCup
Apr 26, 2016
Hartford, CT
Mean ? I think strength wise it would be pretty close . Both are stocky ish . But out of the 2 I’d say Michkov plays w more a chip on his shoulder than Bedard .
Michkov has a small sample size in the NHL, and perhaps it just so happens that the games I've watched have turned out this way but I see Bedard in way more scrums than Michkov and showing way more edge

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Bedard has the much better skating, hands, and shot. The combination of being undersized + not the greatest skater is tough to overcome, so I could see him taking a while to really reach his potential. The fact he's producing like this in spite of that, shows how good he is; but I honestly thought he'd look a little better by the eye test than he has. His best asset is by far is hockey IQ. He doesn't have the most elite tools, reminds me a bit of a forward version of Adam Fox.
Definitely better skater . Better velocity on shot as well . Not sure you can conclusively say better hands though

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
How is Bedard more stronger and meaner?? Michkov has been more physical from games that I saw playing against Canucks. Michkov was more of a factor compared to Bedard.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Spoken like someone who hasn't watched both of them play. Demidov is better playmaker while Michkov is a better scorer. Demidov controls the play while Michkov drives the play.

Lmaooo, another Montreal fan, desperate to tell us how great Demidov is in a Michkov thread, he does nothing offensively better than Michkov to create goals. There’s no world where I’d rather have Demidov with the puck on his stick vice Michkov to score a hockey goal in a passing or shooting situation, different level talents. Same as he’s clearly behind Celebrini and Bedard in talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fraser28

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Too early to call but good start
Still crazy how he fell so far in the draft and then immediately came over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad