Matvei Michkov: 9 points in first 8 NHL games

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
considering he was considered second only to bedard (or even as good) doesnt shock me. woe to those who didnt take him when they had the chance.,

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think he looks like what Kaprizov probably would've looked like if he came to the NHL a couple years earlier. So, yeah, probably going to be pretty elite sooner rather than later.

Nice by Philly stacking his line. Not much else there as far as forwards goes, so he doesn't have all the pressure to drive his line right away.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Don't agree with more dominant. Bedard has the shot / speed advantage currently, but Michkov is able to control the puck through contact and board play in a way Bedard cannot, due to his stature. Bedard is kind of frail in a way, not a knock on him just he's not built very thick? Michkov is more fire hydrant type he bounces off guys, it's a big advantage for Michkov.
Yes more dominant is the wrong word as it makes it seem that Bedard is much better. They are currently close, but I feel Bedard is still currently the better player.

It can change after one summer of a powerskating program and my contact in philadelphia just told me that Briere is preparing that program for Michkov. It is literally the only thing missing in his game, a big issue, but if he fixes that, Michkov will be a machine.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Yes more dominant is the wrong word as it makes it seem that Bedard is much better. They are currently close, but I feel Bedard is still currently the better player.

It can change after one summer of a powerskating program and my contact in philadelphia just told me that Briere is preparing that program for Michkov. It is literally the only thing missing in his game, a big issue, but if he fixes that, Michkov will be a machine.

Would be interesting to see how he plays with an offseason of an intense skating program.

I think he looks like what Kaprizov probably would've looked like if he came to the NHL a couple years earlier. So, yeah, probably going to be pretty elite sooner rather than later.

Nice by Philly stacking his line. Not much else there as far as forwards goes, so he doesn't have all the pressure to drive his line right away.

I think this has been the first full game he played with Couturier and Konecny, they’ve been shuffling lines a ton. He was absolutely the one driving the line tonight though.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Nope not yet....Bedard is still the more dominant player for me.

If Michkov improves his skating speed....then it becomes a possibility because Michkov is the smarter player, better hands, better passer too.

Bedard has the shot and speed advantage while also being a very good passer and smart player too.

Agreed. Bedard creates more. Michkov has a vastly superior supporting cast. Philly is bad but the Blackhawks are legit one of the worst rosters, maybe the worst, in NHL history since he’s joined them.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Don't agree with more dominant. Bedard has the shot / speed advantage currently, but Michkov is able to control the puck through contact and board play in a way Bedard cannot, due to his stature. Bedard is kind of frail in a way, not a knock on him just he's not built very thick? Michkov is more fire hydrant type he bounces off guys, it's a big advantage for Michkov. That being said, they're both 19, who knows how this all ends.
What shot advantage? If you go by their recent shot effectiveness, Michkov has it better

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Would be interesting to see how he plays with an offseason of an intense skating program.

I think this has been the first full game he played with Couturier and Konecny, they’ve been shuffling lines a ton. He was absolutely the one driving the line tonight though.

You'd think Michkov would've already had intense skating development. SKA's skating coach was Daniel Bochner who was just hired by Carolina. He's worked with a lot of the Caps, Panarin, Crosby, McDavid, etc.

Reactions: Acallabeth

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
What shot advantage? If you go by their recent shot effectiveness, Michkov has it better

I mean I’m willing to say it for now, as Bedard has more of a sample size that Michkov currently, if it continues how it has been then we re-evaluate. Michkov has crazy accuracy when he shoots, it’s not as blistering but it’s where he wants to put it, I almost feel like it’s more about his intelligence than the actual power or physical shot release.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Agreed. Bedard creates more. Michkov has a vastly superior supporting cast. Philly is bad but the Blackhawks are legit one of the worst rosters, maybe the worst, in NHL history since he’s joined them.
That’s nonsense, Terevainen, Foligno, Hall are as good if not better the Flyers that realistically only have one good player in Konecny

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
You'd think Michkov would've already had intense skating development. SKA's skating coach was Daniel Bochner who was just hired by Carolina. He's worked with a lot of the Caps, Panarin, Crosby, McDavid, etc.
SKA treated Michkov like an outcast, kinda like what they were doing to Demidov. Plus he had a bad bout of pneumonia last year .So Im not sure if he has went through a full summer of skate training.

Michkov is a great stickhandler, but it's a weapon that he doesn't use too often on the rush because the explosiveness just isn't there to take advantage of it.

He's able to create so many openings and angles now just by guile, if he had better skating, he will have space like Moses in the Red Sea.

Jan 21, 2018
As a hockey fan we are blessed that Montreal did not get the opportunity to ruin Michkov’s development

I am not surprised that Michkov refused to play for montreal, Montreal cannot develop their lottery picks: Kotkaniemi, slaf, reinbacher etc. all of them looking like the wrong pick shortly after joining the habs

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
As a hockey fan we are blessed that Montreal did not get the opportunity to ruin Michkov’s development

I am not surprised that Michkov refused to play for montreal, Montreal cannot develop their lottery picks: Kotkaniemi, slaf, reinbacher etc. all of them looking like the wrong pick shortly after joining the habs
? He literally stepped off the plane like this for the flyers. They've had zero involvement with his development so far.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
SKA treated Michkov like an outcast, kinda like what they were doing to Demidov. Plus he had a bad bout of pneumonia last year .So Im not sure if he has went through a full summer of skate training.

Michkov is a great stickhandler, but it's a weapon that he doesn't use too often on the rush because the explosiveness just isn't there to take advantage of it.

He's able to create so many openings and angles now just by guile, if he had better skating, he will have space like Moses in the Red Sea.

He spent 4 years in SKA's system, 2 of which he was their prized possession after he transferred from Yaroslavl.
Considering all his other skills are amazingly developed, there's no way he wouldn't have had intense skating instruction from Bochner.
That's not to say he can't improve however.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
He spent 4 years in SKA's system, 2 of which he was their prized possession after he transferred from Yaroslavl.
Considering all his other skills are amazingly developed, there's no way he wouldn't have had intense skating instruction from Bochner.
That's not to say he can't improve however.
Again u maybe right....but bottom line is this:

If he makes zero improvements to his skating, he can be an all star level player for years.

If he makes just slight improvement in his skating/explosiveness: I see some Harts and Art Rosses.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That’s nonsense, Terevainen, Foligno, Hall are as good if not better the Flyers that realistically only have one good player in Konecny
No they arent lool

Foligno isnt an NHL top 9 player

Hall is a shell of his former self

TT is a very good top 6 player

Tipett, Brink, Konency, Couterier are all better than any Hawks forward outsude of Bedadd besides TT

Reactions: Deebs and Regal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad