Matthews vs Kucherov, who would you rather have?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I mean at 23 Kucherov was on a 45 goal / 94 point pace without any other star forwards to play with (Point was not on the team and Stamkos missed the season). In a lower-scoring league on a non-playoff team, that is close enough

That wasnt his 23 year old year. If you want to make it easier just do it based on draft year. D+5 was this year for Matthews. D+5 Kucherov had 66 points

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
These players are so freaking hard to compare in a vaccuum.

Do you believe Kucherov is the #1 most important player on the Lightning?
cuz they seemed to do just fine this season without him.

Swap Vasilevsky and Hedman with Reilly, and Cambell. Then tell me if you think Kucherov powers that team to a cup, and Matthews is still out in the 1st.

This year's loss is largely in part due to Matthews, he had enough support but failed to show up, Tampa's playoff success is largely due to Kucherov showing up in the post season, so yeah a playoff Kucherov wouldve won Toronto the series, he has a knack for clutch goals, something Toronto couldn't get from their stars.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This year's loss is largely in part due to Matthews, he had enough support but failed to show up, Tampa's playoff success is largely due to Kucherov showing up in the post season, so yeah a playoff Kucherov wouldve won Toronto the series, he has a knack for clutch goals, something Toronto couldn't get from their stars.

Possibly. It's hard to tell in a vaccuum.

On the other hand, Kucherov also has Norris caliber defending, and Vezina caliber goaltending behind him.

The Lightning are still a cup contender without Kucherov. It's hard to really isolate his contribution to winning, when the team could literally win a cup without him.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019

On the other hand, Kucherov also has Norris caliber defending, and Vezina caliber goaltending behind him.

The Lightning are still a cup contender without Kucherov. It's hard to really isolate his contribution to winning, when the team could literally win a cup without him.
What part of us finishing third in our division without him screams “cup contender”

We may have been a playoff team without him but third in a division is not a cup contender

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The 4 seasons their careers have overlapped (not including this one):

Point finishes ranked:

128-Kucherov
100-Kucherov
85-Kucherov
85-Kucherov
80-Matthews
73-Matthews
69-Matthews
63-Matthews

Kucherov: 398 points
Matthews: 285 points

Goal finishes ranked:

47-Matthews
41-Kucherov
40-Matthews
40-Kucherov
39-Kucherov
37-Matthews
34-Matthews
33-Kucherov

Totals:

Matthews: 158 goals
Kucherov: 153 goals

How exactly is Matthews better? Oh and this isn't factoring in the playoffs...where it's Kucherov by a country mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: deejb

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Kucherov.

Its close by Matthews talent alone, but performance at crunch time takes the edge.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Matthews. Lost all my respect towards Kucherov after cheating with Tampa. Also, I prefer player who wants to be on ice instead spending time on LTIR when it's not needed.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yeah? When did they win the cup without him, kinda stupid to think the team would win a cup without the league's leading playoff scorer last season.

I mean by that logic you could remove Matthews and it wouldn't make a difference because he doesn't show up anyways. Toronto was stacked this year relative to their competition and Matthews went MIA.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Matthews. Lost all my respect towards Kucherov after cheating with Tampa. Also, I prefer player who wants to be on ice instead spending time on LTIR when it's not needed.

That's great, you can catch Kucherov on the ice tomorrow. When is Matthews next game again?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We ain't talking resume bud. We talking about game impact. Kuchy has a stacked team. Matthews snipes more goals, is bigger, and can carry a shit franchise with incompetent management to the playoffs.

Kucherov still better overall in a vacuum though in my estimation when taking their talents today.
Toronto's not a stacked team? Come on.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews 4 yrs younger
Matthews 1st 5 yrs. 199 goals 152 assists 351 games 351 pts
Kucherov. 1st 5 yrs. 147 goals 187 assists 365 games 334 points

My math says Matthews apples to apples
OP said ‘clean slate’ and did not include playoffs and Matthews next four years
Are not factored. Clean slate means no points just first 5 years of results.
Therefore facts as stated stand.

What are you talking about? You contradicted yourself. "Clean slate means no points" yet you compared their point totals in the regular season.

pandro

Dec 7, 2014
This completely depends on the make-up of your club. But assuming we're starting from scratch today, I would take Matthews over Kucherov 10x out of 10. I will always take an elite centerman over an elite winger, especially when the centerman is 4 years younger and can score 50-60 goals.

While I guess he is capable, Matthews has never actually scored 50, let alone 60 goals. At the same time, Kucherov have scored 128 points in a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad