Confirmed with Link: Matthews to miss all star game. Dealing with a minor wrist injury

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Here's a thought and just throwing this out there. He is faking to get out of the all star weekend. Players have been doing this for years and if you look at his last couple goals you can clearly see there is nothing wrong with his wrist and if there was, he wouldnt be able to shoot like that.

If you dont want to go to the allstar game, fake an injury. Just ask Crosby. He has been faking injury for years.
It's not a completely fake injury. He's shown up at events with a wrist brace. It's likely just a minor thing that could do with some extra rest.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Besides the news that Matthews won't be playing and this isn't the biggest deal, did anyone wonder why someone like William Nylander was not asked to replace him? The NHL when possible likes to replace a player with someone else from that same team, so unless he said no why wasn't Nylander selected and Brady Tkachuk is his replacement?
Tkachuk is a very good player who doesn't get enough love, so don't mind the choice. The reaction to Nylander going among a certain part of the Leafs fan base would have been hilarious though.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Here is an idea. Hold it the same weekend or a week before as the NHL awards. At the end of the season. Nobody has to worry about mid season injuries or not going. Have it in a place like Hawai’i so players want to go and take their families. Put a few million for the winner and have all 31 teams share in the revenue. Pretty sure you won’t have any issues.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Here is an idea. Hold it the same weekend or a week before as the NHL awards. At the end of the season. Nobody has to worry about mid season injuries or not going. Have it in a place like Hawai’i so players want to go and take their families. Put a few million for the winner and have all 31 teams share in the revenue. Pretty sure you won’t have any issues.
It's better mid season because its a break for majority of the players who don't go. It lets them rest up for about a week so they can get ready for the second half of the season. It serves more of a purpose than to just promote the game and I'm not sure how many players would want to lace up their skates after a long playoff break just to play an All-Star game . A lot of those players are on Holidays by the time the NHL awards come around, plenty of players leave the country for vacations but , mostly Europeans go back to their homeland . To have them come all back to the US just for a couple of days , then go back seems like a waste of time for them. Besides, its hardly a competitive game by any means, its more a less a glorified game of shinny, so the worries about injuries is greatly exaggerated . Especially when you have a lot of NHL'ers playing in the World Championships every May too.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Decent idea actually

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Besides the news that Matthews won't be playing and this isn't the biggest deal, did anyone wonder why someone like William Nylander was not asked to replace him? The NHL when possible likes to replace a player with someone else from that same team, so unless he said no why wasn't Nylander selected and Brady Tkachuk is his replacement?

Probably did not choose another Leaf to replace him because we already had extra representation going by means of Marner winning the fan vote.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I have to ask, What does everybody have against the All Star Game ?

From reports it awesome for people who actually attend the game and festival.

The skills comp and game is mostly just fun and the guys seem to have a good time.

I enjoy watching it knowing it is all just for fun.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I thought the allstar game wasn't that demanding physically. Go out and skate around to remain loose. I would think one practice would be twice as hard on the body than the allstar game.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Probably did not choose another Leaf to replace him because we already had extra representation going by means of Marner winning the fan vote.
In 2018 when Tampa Bay hosted the All Star Game they already had Stamkos, Hedman and Vasilevskiy represnting them. However when Hedman got hurt he was replaced by Brayden Point. So I don't think Marner winning the last man in vote would have mattered, unless Nylander or Tavares were asked and they said no.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Does this wrist injury explain why his wrist shot wasn't all that good the last few games?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Being that the game is in St Louis where Keith Tkachuk is a legend and having both his boys in the game is a great story ( The boys were raised in St Louis) Bottom line is that Brady has a lot more cache than Willy in this particular game.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Just get rid of the ASG. Players dont even want to go.

In the past it seemed like an honour and players wanted to be chosen.

Bring back the Olympics

Reactions: TDotMassive

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Its absolutely crazy he has been scoring like this with a wrist thats not 100%

Hes 2nd only to Ovie as the league's best goalscorer.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
In 2018 when Tampa Bay hosted the All Star Game they already had Stamkos, Hedman and Vasilevskiy represnting them. However when Hedman got hurt he was replaced by Brayden Point. So I don't think Marner winning the last man in vote would have mattered, unless Nylander or Tavares were asked and they said no.

If it was hosted in Toronto, they may have asked another Leaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad