Matthews is a top 25 player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Not top 25 rookie, or C, or even just amongst forwards, but top 25 in the entire NHL... Atleast according to Ray Ferraro, Pierre McGuire and Bob Mackenzie.

On Tuesday Ray Ferraro was on overdrive and shared that opinion, I couldn't locate the audio and haven't heard the interview myself but they asked Pierre and Bob's reactions to that.

I cant link the audio but it can be found on the TSN site or by googling Matthews top 25.

Pierre on Naylor & Simmons

"Ray Ferraro said yesterday on this station that he's a top 25 player in the NHL, Pierre, your thought?"

"Agree, totally agree. I've been watching him for so long, going back to when Danny Granato invited me to USA hockeys development program to break down tape and meet the players. Watching him in the world juniors, watching him on tape before he was an NHL player... I remember telling Granato that I haven't seen a player more like Ronnie Francis than Auston Matthews, except the difference is Matthews is a better skater... He is definitely a top 25 player, no question."

He went on, and also talked about Marner.

Bob Mackenzie.

"Yesterday on overdrive Ferraro mentioned he thought Auston Matthews was a top 25 player in the NHL, in a league that has roughly 750 players in it that would make you top 3 percent, you agree?"

"Yeah, if he's not right there, sorry, if he's not in that group then he's most certainly very, very close. What I find is these lists tend to fluctuate on a day to day, week to week basis. The funny thing about Matthews is that even when he wasn't scoring he was playing well, never became a defensive liability, it's almost seamless the way he's came in and performed in the roll as a top offensive C in the NHL without going through many of the growing pains. And the same thing can be said with Marner, that's the thing that surprised even me who's been one of Marner biggest boosters coming out of junior hockey was how quickly he adapted, and how quickly he won over Mike Babcock. In terms of being a guy who drives play and is always the first guy back-checking, he breaks up plays defensively, he's always in the right position... So that's pretty remarkable.

For the Leafs to have Matthews, to have Marner, to have Nylander... These guys are not just good players, there not just above average players, they are elite players, and there only going to get better and better as they get older and more experience. Matthews has the physical tools right now to be, and the position gives him the advantage to be in that top percentile (3% - top 25)."

Bob went on and unfortunately I cant link it but someone else can if they wish.

My question is, do you agree with Ferraro, McGuire and Mackenzie? And if so, where exactly on that list would he rank.

Last edited:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
OP, I agree he's a top 25 player (as do Ferraro and MacKenzie).

Having said that prepare yourself for a thread full of "30 games, not PROVEN enough!!!!" or "lolz and you wonder why we mock leafs fans, what has he accomplished :dunce:"

Because somehow the past accomplishments of a player is all that can be used to determine who is good. You can't just watch and see the dominance.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I agree. Currently and for next 20-30 games id put him in top 20 or even top 15.

In my book you dont have to prove yourself for 2 years before you can be regarded as elite or near it. Its not a hot stretch and he looks the part. Lets call him for what he is- a top 25 player and good 1C

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Top 25? That's a tall order. Better settle for Lemieux for now.

It surprised me too, kids awesome but when you consider it's factoring in all players...

I haven't done a list to see who he'd be ranked over if we assume he'd be #25.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Oh Christ, someone has to do it. Here's 25 better players right now off the top of my head:

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Kane
Giroux
Karlsson
Burns
Benn
Price
Weber
Suter
Keith
Doughty
Kopitar
Bergeron
Hedman
Ovechkin
Taveres
Tarasenko
Stamkos
Josi
Pavelski
Seguin
Thornton
Backstrom

So, I disagree.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Oh Christ, someone has to do it. Here's 25 better players right now off the top of my head:

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Kane
Giroux
Karlsson
Burns
Benn
Price
Weber
Suter
Keith
Doughty
Kopitar
Bergeron
Hedman
Ovechkin
Taveres
Tarasenko
Stamkos
Josi
Pavelski
Seguin
Thornton
Backstrom

So, I disagree.

If we are talking better RIGHT NOW like the thread was intended, he's hovering around 18-22

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Kane
Giroux
Karlsson
Burns
Benn
Price
Weber
Suter
Keith
Doughty
Kopitar
Bergeron
Hedman
Ovechkin
Taveres
Tarasenko
Stamkos
Josi
Pavelski
Seguin
Thornton
Backstrom

So, I disagree.

Right now and for rest of season hes above the bolded for me personally

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He's 40th in the league in total points. 53rd in points per game. Isn't anything special defensively at this point (good for a rookie centreman, but hey we're talking about top 25 in the whole league not just rookies). His underlying numbers are good. Generates chances, shoots a lot, maintaining a sustainable shooting percentage.

But overall, no. He is not a top 25 player in the NHL right now.

Off the top of my head, he is not better than:

McDavid
Crosby
Benn
Seguin
Karlsson
Doughty
Kopitar
Tavares
Malkin
Bergeron
Price
Kane
Scheifele
Burns
Pavelski
Wheeler
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Tarasenko
Stamkos
Kucherov
Hedman
Keith
OEL
Letang
Subban
Weber
Giroux
Voracek
Couture

That's 30 players just off the top of my head

Lemons

Mar 26, 2008
Sounds like the same group of people who said that Morgan O'Reilly would be in contention for the Norris right now.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Most fans respect Mackenzie, and while I don't, I realize he isn't one for making outlandish claims. That's what caught me off guard, that Bob agreed.

Maybe Matthews is held in different light by those who watch him consistently, making him a bit underrated amongst fans who aren't as familiar. It's possible.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
that would put laine in the top 20 I guess if we are going by individual performances.

I think it's more impressive to be leading a line of rookies as a Centre, that plays defensively as well, vs a guy who met Hellybuck for the first time three days ago and has an all-star on his line.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
He's 40th in the league in total points. 53rd in points per game. Isn't anything special defensively at this point (good for a rookie centreman, but hey we're talking about top 25 in the whole league not just rookies). His underlying numbers are good. Generates chances, shoots a lot, maintaining a sustainable shooting percentage.

But overall, no. He is not a top 25 player in the NHL right now.

Off the top of my head, he is not better than:

McDavid
Crosby
Benn
Seguin
Karlsson
Doughty
Kopitar
Tavares
Malkin
Bergeron
Price
Kane
Draisaitl
Scheifele
Burns
Pavelski
Wheeler
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Tarasenko
Stamkos
Kucherov
Hedman
Keith
OEL
Letang
Subban
Weber
Giroux
Voracek
Couture

That's 30 players just off the top of my head

31 if we are adding Draisaitl in this ranking. Draisaitl is very underrated, yet he produces as good as any good Center not named Crosby, McDavid, Malkin, Kopitar and Seguin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad