Proposal: Matthews for Eichel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Let’s face it, Matthews is probably not staying in Toronto past his contract and Eichel is out in Buffalo. Would this be a descent trade for both teams?
He will stay. He's the king of Toronto and the Leafs will back up the money truck.

Barring injury, Marner is less likely to be a Leaf than Matthews.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
One guy won the Rocket and was the runner up for the Hart trophy.

The other guy has a potential career ending injury and is insisting on a surgery that has never been performed on an NHL player before.

Yup they clearly have the same value. I can’t think of any reason Toronto would turn this down.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
A healthy Eichel....yes this would be fair but no way do you trade a consistent and still getting better Matthews for damaged goods.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Leafs could do addition through subtraction to get Eichel. Matthews would not be on the table for this.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
lmao no chance

And how do you know Matthews isn't staying in Toronto? Where did this confidence that he's leaving come from

Only he knows for sure but personally I find it curious that he insisted on a 5 year deal that makes him UFA at the end instead of the 8 year deal others got. Also, if The Leafs playoff troubles continue I cant see him wanting to stay.

Maybe he resigns in Toronto but I can easily see him going to Ari also.

A healthy Eichel....yes this would be fair but no way do you trade a consistent and still getting better Matthews for damaged goods.

Even a healthy Eichel, I think I pick Matthews over him.

Last edited:

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Only he knows for sure but personally I find it curious that he insisted on a 5 year deal that makes him UFA at the end instead of the 8 year deal others got. Also, if The Leafs playoff troubles continue I cant see him wanting to stay.

Maybe he resigns in Toronto but I can easily see him going to Ari also.

Even a healthy Eichel, I think I pick Matthews over him.
He never insisted on a 5 year deal. He wanted an 8 year deal but Dubas couldn’t make the cap work so they offered him a 5 year deal that fit.

Reactions: leafsfan5

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
1) Matthews >> Eichel right now.

2) Buffalo is trying to trade Eichel like he's healthy, but he'll never be healthy until they trade him and he gets his preferred surgery so really their price should be much lower. Not even close to Matthews. They'll get a couple of pretty good prospects, a couple good roster players and a 1st. Max.

The Leafs could still very well win a cup or come close. He’s not going to leave a team with that much skill and decide to sign in a shitstorm like Buffalo (or Arizona).
You can't confidently say they can win a cup when this group still hasn't pushed through the first round. If the leafs fail to make the 2nd round over the next two years, Matthews is as good as gone. Why would he re-sign with a cap team who can't win a round when he can sign for more money and less taxes in his home state? Toronto can't risk losing him for nothing so he'll be traded before his last year starts should they choke again the next two years. Either he'll re-sign with his new team or he'll be a Coyote on July 1, 2024 (if they're still in Arizona). And the Yotes will be a better team with Matthews than Toronto will be without him.

Sorry for getting off track there, but this proposal doesn't make much sense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1) Matthews > Eichel.
* One has 3 years left on their contract and the other has 4.
* One is trending upwards and the other is injured and not trending well at all.
* One is a power forward type center and the other is not.
* One has 36% of his total production on the PP and the other has 26%

2) Neither team does this. Leafs won't downgrade and Sabres are after futures and don't want to trade for a guy and then go through it all over again before Matthews's contract is up.

Just a bad trade idea in more ways than one.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Finally we're getting some threads with fair value for Eichel. Toronto adds a 2nd though.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
1) Matthews > Eichel.
* One has 3 years left on their contract and the other has 4.
* One is trending upwards and the other is injured and not trending well at all.
* One is a power forward type center and the other is not.
* One has 36% of his total production on the PP and the other has 26%

2) Neither team does this. Leafs won't downgrade and Sabres are after futures and don't want to trade for a guy and then go through it all over again before Matthews's contract is up.

Just a bad trade idea in more ways than one.
Neither team does this? The Sabers would take this deal and run. Even if they do not intend to keep Matthews for whatever reason, the value that they could get in trading him far surpasses that of Eichel, especially with the health concerns and other associated hoopla now surrounding the Eichel situation in Buffalo.

Reactions: DarylO

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Let’s face it, Matthews is probably not staying in Toronto past his contract and Eichel is out in Buffalo. Would this be a descent trade for both teams?
With Eichel’s health in question, this seems to grossly favor the Sabers. Only if Eichel is healthy and playing well would this trade start to make sense from a value perspective.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Neither team does this? The Sabers would take this deal and run. Even if they do not intend to keep Matthews for whatever reason, the value that they could get in trading him far surpasses that of Eichel, especially with the health concerns and other associated hoopla now surrounding the Eichel situation in Buffalo.

Sabres would have to give up more to get Matthews though. I failed to give you more context with that but the part was there... Matthews > Eichel. Added futures that would derail their plans of another 100% rebuild.

It's a bad trade idea for both sides. Maybe worse for the Leafs but it still a bad trade idea

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Matthews is a solid starter but Adams has been clear that it will take 3 or 4 first round pieces.
Something around:

Matthews
Robertson
Sandin
2022 - 1st

for

Jack Eichel

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
While Eichel is doing everything he can to leave, why would the leafs even consider this given his health issues? And who says Matthews is leaving for sure any time soon?

Reactions: Petrus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad