Prospect Info: Matthew Boldy, Left Winger, 12th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm pretty confident Kaprizov is a RW. A lot of Russians play on their off wing. I know Fiala has too (played RW), so I'm comfortable with him on RW for the next year or two, but I think in the future you've got

Boldy-x-Kaprizov
Fiala-x-Kunin

If Kunin doesn't cut it as top 6 winger (which I still have faith he will be), you can slide Fiala over and play Donato at 2LW and Kunin at 3RW.

3 lefties and 1 righty :scared:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The kids a late bloomer that's already caught up with his peers. If he can work on some of his weaknesses in the next two years who knows where he could be.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
3 lefties and 1 righty :scared:

If you believe the Khovanov hype, he's got 1C potential (though not as likely to reach that level). That's another lefty in the top 6. Not too concerned though. It'll be interesting to see how Fenton addresses the lack of solid top 6 C prospects in our system now that 12oa was used on another winger, but the biggest thing we are lacking is high end talent, and with Boldy now in addition to Kaprizov, we have a couple of really nice, potential high end talents.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If you believe the Khovanov hype, he's got 1C potential (though not as likely to reach that level). That's another lefty in the top 6. Not too concerned though. It'll be interesting to see how Fenton addresses the lack of solid top 6 C prospects in our system now that 12oa was used on another winger, but the biggest thing we are lacking is high end talent, and with Boldy now in addition to Kaprizov, we have a couple of really nice, potential high end talents.

I don't have both feet on that wagon yet, but 1 is pretty firmly planted.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's really amazing how one pick can change a perspective. Looking at Boldy, Kaprizov, Fiala and Donato as our top prospects/young players gives me a lot more confidence than the Granlund, Nino, Coyle, Zucker crew. I think if you include guys like Khovanov and Dewar, maybe even McBain and Johansson, I don't think we really had this much depth in our pool when those other guys were this age. And we still have a few picks tomorrow!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I was super high on the 2010 group, but you also have to include Larsson in there too. His D+1 year was pretty damn good if I remember correctly.

I'm probably abnormally high on Dewar, at least more than anyone else, and maybe because I'm looking so damn hard for our version of Brayden Point.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's really amazing how one pick can change a perspective. Looking at Boldy, Kaprizov, Fiala and Donato as our top prospects/young players gives me a lot more confidence than the Granlund, Nino, Coyle, Zucker crew. I think if you include guys like Khovanov and Dewar, maybe even McBain and Johansson, I don't think we really had this much depth in our pool when those other guys were this age. And we still have a few picks tomorrow!
I'm a lot higher on 3 of those top 4 young players than another of them. One of them is just a brain fart machine with skill.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I was super high on the 2010 group, but you also have to include Larsson in there too. His D+1 year was pretty damn good if I remember correctly.

I'm probably abnormally high on Dewar, at least more than anyone else, and maybe because I'm looking so damn hard for our version of Brayden Point.

I think Dewar compares pretty favorably to Larsson, if we're trying to find 1 for 1 comparisons between the two groups. I also forgot Kunin in that last post, who I'd say compares similarly to Zucker.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm a lot higher on 3 of those top 4 young players than another of them. One of them is just a brain fart machine with skill.

Skill is good. It's also a much better position to be in when he's now projected to be on the second line of the future, rather than the first.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kaprizov~>Granlund
Boldy~>Nino
Fiala~>Coyle
Kunin~>Zucker
Donato~>???
Dewar~>Larsson
Khovanov~>???

Am I missing anyone from 2010-2011?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Kaprizov~>Granlund
Boldy~>Nino
Fiala~>Coyle
Kunin~>Zucker
Donato~>???
Dewar~>Larsson
Khovanov~>???

Am I missing anyone from 2010-2011?
Difference is, we had D also mixed in their back then... we don't "NEED" D mixed in as much now because our top 4 are so good, and our best is our youngest in Dumba.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think Dewar compares pretty favorably to Larsson, if we're trying to find 1 for 1 comparisons between the two groups. I also forgot Kunin in that last post, who I'd say compares similarly to Zucker.

Yeah, I don't know. 8 points better than 2nd place (8 fewer games), 34 points better than 3rd place (8 fewer games) without even a sniff of an NHL player on the roster; even if he was technically an "overager" last year.

But, full admission, I had the same thoughts about Graovac, so maybe I'm the asshole.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Difference is, we had D also mixed in their back then... we don't "NEED" D mixed in as much now because our top 4 are so good, and our best is our youngest in Dumba.

Yeah just comparing forward talent because you're right, we have the luxury of not "needing" the D prospects now.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, I don't know. 8 points better than 2nd place (8 fewer games), 34 points better than 3rd place (8 fewer games) without even a sniff of an NHL player on the roster; even if he was technically an "overager" last year.

But, full admission, I had the same thoughts about Graovac, so maybe I'm the *******.

Full disclosure, I don't really expect them all to pan out how we hope. Learned that lesson. I just think we have a lot more potential this time around, overall.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah just comparing forward talent because you're right, we have the luxury of not "needing" the D prospects now.
It makes a difference though. We went back to back top 10 picks on D back then because we needed D so badly.

What would our forward depth have looked like if those were both forwards by comparison?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Assuming you're talking about Fiala, we saw him or less than 1/3 of a season.
In Minnesota... sure... but he was doing the same in Nashville before he came to Minnesota last season. Nashville fans were calling him a turnover machine.

He has a ton of skill... sure... but that not so high in how/when to use it is concerning to me.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It makes a difference though. We went back to back top 10 picks on D back then because we needed D so badly.

What would our forward depth have looked like if those were both forwards by comparison?

The 5 forwards picked after Brodin were: Baertschi, JT Miller, Armia, McNeill and Noesen
The 5 forwards picked after Dumba were: Forsberg, Grigorenko, Faksa, Girgensens and Wilson

Probably still not great.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

2011, next 5 forwards taken:
Sven Baertschi
JT Miller
Joel Armia
Mark McNeill
Stefan Noesen

2012, next 5 forwards taken:
Filip Forsberg
Mikhail Grigorenko
Radek Faksa
Zemgus Girgensons
Tom Wilson

I know it's not fair to compare it in hindsight, but 1/10 of those guys became more than a bottom 6 player. The only ones I remember really being pretty hyped are Forsberg, Girgensons and Grigorenko, though Grig had a lot of question marks.

On a fun note, really clear with the hindsight goggles that the guy we chose was the correct guy to choose in both of those drafts.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
In Minnesota... sure... but he was doing the same in Nashville before he came to Minnesota last season. Nashville fans were calling him a turnover machine.

He has a ton of skill... sure... but that not so high in how/when to use it is concerning to me.

I remember we had qualms with every one of those 2010-2011 guys when they were 22. None of them were the players they ended up being. Sure it's not ideal that he has those moments, but he's got time and potential and I have faith he'll end up doing more good than bad in the long run.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
2011, next 5 forwards taken:
Sven Baertschi
JT Miller
Joel Armia
Mark McNeill
Stefan Noesen

2012, next 5 forwards taken:
Filip Forsberg
Mikhail Grigorenko
Radek Faksa
Zemgus Girgensons
Tom Wilson

I know it's not fair to compare it in hindsight, but 1/10 of those guys became more than a bottom 6 player. The only ones I remember really being pretty hyped are Forsberg, Girgensons and Grigorenko, though Grig had a lot of question marks.

On a fun note, really clear with the hindsight goggles that the guy we chose was the correct guy to choose in both of those drafts.
Dumba was the true skill player we needed then and he's been a home run pick from day 1. I know some were wanting Trouba back then... but I don't think there's a Wild fan remaining that would trade Dumba for Trouba 1 for 1. Others wanted Forsberg... and he's turned into a real good player too, but I still prefer what Dumba brings to us.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Yeah well the guys that don't default to chipping and chasing sometimes do. The hope is that he figures it out by the time he's 25.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I remember we had qualms with every one of those 2010-2011 guys when they were 22. None of them were the players they ended up being. Sure it's not ideal that he has those moments, but he's got time and potential and I have faith he'll end up doing more good than bad in the long run.
I have more faith in the other 3 than I do him, simply because of the hockey sense they have all displayed... that's all I'm saying.

I haven't completely given up on him, I just don't have near as much faith in him getting to the top of his potential as the others.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dumba was the true skill player we needed then and he's been a home run pick from day 1. I know some were wanting Trouba back then... but I don't think there's a Wild fan remaining that would trade Dumba for Trouba 1 for 1. Others wanted Forsberg... and he's turned into a real good player too, but I still prefer what Dumba brings to us.

Yeah I was a huge fan of Dumba over Trouba at the time. I was one of those that would have liked Forsberg too, but I wasn’t upset that we took Dumba instead.

Another note for Fiala, he’s not one of those elite top 30 scoring forward kind of guys. It’s not really fair to expect that. But the 60th highest scoring forward last year had 64 points. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for him to attain that level in the next 7-10 years. And that’s still at least a borderline top line player. Now we have the luxury (potentially) of sticking him on the second line where he can get sheltered? This is a good thing, and I think he’ll be fine.

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad