Matt Read (thread started in 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Wall....

Is this the same wall as the table that all presidents put their "options" on??? :laugh:

Anyway, you all underestimate the elixir that is the slurpee machine. Bryzgalov apparently has a secret recipe from mother Russia that will keep these rookies in hyper-drive for the next 10 seasons...:sarcasm:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Im a HUGE underdog fan. Huge. One of the main reasons I'm a Claude Giroux fan (going into the QMJHL not drafted and on a tryout). I just like watching players who no one knows about come in and do well. Just my opinion but I have alot of respect for players that dont give up. Alot of players who dont get drafted quit right away. Matt Read, turned 25, and now is finally in the NHL. I cant help but root for him.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am rooting for him 100% and love the underdog stories. I love when they excel but expect them to fail.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I agree with all of that and I'm not saying Schenn won't slow down, I just think of the three he will be the most consistent. Couturier I think will slow down and hit the wall because of his physicality and age. Read I think will slow down just because he doesn't have the pedigree that Couturier and Schenn have. I know what doesn't really mean anything and I'm sure I will get flamed for saying that and maybe it's just me having a preconceived notion about the guy, but it's just rare for a guy to come out of college undrafted at 25 and continue at the pace he is on right now. It is certainly not impossible and I'm sure it has happened before (and does happen from time to time with later round picks), I guess I am just one of those guys who will always doubt him until he shows otherwise. Nothing against him and I hope I am way off, but it's how I felt about Vance Worley during the Phillies season too. When dude's come out of nowhere and play well, you expect them to slow down.

Read is 25. I remember reading that he was heavily scouted a year ago, but decided to return to Bemidji for his Sr. year because they were opening a new arena or something. Plenty of teams have felt he's been ready for a couple years.

Anyway, it's pretty clear he's an NHL calibre player - he's not a borderline AHLer.

He's as filled out as he's going to get too. We talk about little guys, like really big guys, needing to fill out into men to be really effective. Guys like Briere, St. Louis, etc. Read did that in college.

I don't see any reason why he has to slow down. He came in and trained with McCrossin all summer. He's in great shape, he knew what to expect and he's a rookie who Lavy is putting on the POINT on the PP!

I also agree there is no reason for Schenn to slow down, but Couts might feel the grind more as he's still scrawny....

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
And thats fine if he hits a wall. As long as he produces in those 40 or whatever games.

Now I think the problem everyone is going to see is when ALL our rookies hit the wall, including Couturier and Schenn. This isnt just a problem with Read but with the other two as well.

The good news though is that Couturier and Read are averaging between 15 and 16 minutes a night of ice time. They aren't being bombarded and are playing at a pace that shouldn't wear them out. As the season progresses, I expect their ice time to stick between 14 and 15 minutes a game. While they'll eventually hit a wall in terms of offensive production, I don't think it'll be detrimental in that they'll still get time to play, but not be gassed either when it comes to the defensive side of the game.

This is a good spot for those two to be in right now. I expect Schenn to get a similar treatment as those two and be given minimal ice time to start and work his way up.

Laviolette seems to be doing something right with those guys.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
For me the three are the bonus!

I expected no one to be an impact player for our team this season. I hope that Schenn can play a good 3rd line role but don´t want to be to high on a rookie.

But till now, we are full of rookies and also full of talent and winning attitude.

So if our rookies hit a wall and slow down a bit, i can´t see a problem with it.

We have Voracek who must step up more than he had shown until now.
We have Hartnell who also must show a lot more.
We have JVR who is predicted as our 2nd best scorer?!
We have Jagr who has not scored a singel goal!

I can´t imagine that we will have a scoring problem when Read, Couts and Schenn can´t score in bunches.

just my two cents

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
I love the people on the main boards saying that his hit on D'Agostini was dangerous and D'Agostini could have fallen into the bench and snapped his neck and died.. :laugh:

mirimon

Oct 2, 2009
The Wrong Town
If this had happened a couple of years ago (ok, maybe more than a couple... I'm getting old), Read might have been pummeled half to death for that.

Foeman

for a case of Tastykakes
Jan 12, 2009
Matt is having success without pushing himself to 500% every shift. Perhaps he's not just the flavor-of-the-year energy guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad