Tribute Matt Murray - We Found Love In A Hopeless Place

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
While true, this isn't why he was traded. If the front office cared what the fans thought about players we wouldn't have had...well...you know who.

Oh I know it’s not why he was traded...I’m just saying his performance didn’t actually matter to most people outside of the organization

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Because he got mockingly applauded once? Man, call the Hague, we got some war crimin' goin' on in the Burgh.

I think it was a lot more than that. You can believe the story at the restaurant or not. I believe it and I'm sure it happened a lot. Our fans wouldn't let Flower go. Acted like he was Roy. Murray helped win 2 Cups and deserved a lot better from fans. Flower and Letang have ruined this franchise. Both toxic imo.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
2Qam.gif

Goodbye Moose! I will miss you and miss posting moose gifs. :(

gif2.gif

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think it was a lot more than that. You can believe the story at the restaurant or not. I believe it and I'm sure it happened a lot. Our fans wouldn't let Flower go. Acted like he was Roy. Murray helped win 2 Cups and deserved a lot better from fans. Flower and Letang have ruined this franchise. Both toxic imo.
man you were doing so well up until this point

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
In that two year span between '16 and '17, at age 22-23, there was a legit argument that he was the best, most clutch goalie in the league. Ice water in his veins.

Sad that he was never able to hit those heights again.

Jarry outplayed him, and he wanted to get paid regardless. It was time.
Meh did he really though? From January 1st on Murray played way better than jarry

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
man you were doing so well up until this point

I'm not going to put all the blame on Flower. Letang is the similar situation though. They won't dare trade him even though they should because it would be the same situation all over again. Only reason the organization was able to somewhat escape the Flower situation is because of the expansion draft excuse.

Maybe they learned their lesson. Only players who should have been on that pedestal was Crosby and maybe Malkin. That's it. Everybody else is expendable to ice the best roster every year to compete for a Championship. Not to create fan favorites to sell merch and tickets.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I appreciate the Cups and his role in them...thanks Murray!....but I won’t miss the Murray of the last three seasons...I’m happy to see him get a fresh start somewhere else , and same for the Pens...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Sorry Murray. You deserved better. Our fanbase sucks. They really do.

Quoted for emphasis.

So long Murray, you were exactly the steadying presence we needed to allow our guys to play with a confidence level they hadn't had in years. It's a shame the most verbal segment of the fan base decided that personality matters more than results. When things went wrong for him it had to be rough knowing that such a segment of the fan base was practically enjoying his struggles.

A change of scenery was/is the only way to 'fix' Murray and I hope he thrives in Ottawa. I don't think too many would argue that the situation went as far as tenable here. Even if I think Jarry is the 'right' goalie for this team going forward, I do think Murray has a higher ceiling...but with how much of the position is mental bad situations fester and we've been picking at those scabs for a few years.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Once teams figured out his horrendous glove hand and you couple that with the death of his father, MM was never the same player afterwards. Simply wasn't very good at the end. He'd flash the 16/17 stuff but far too inconsistent the past 2 years and change. A massive downturn from what people were talking about in the summer of 2017.

He was a major cog in the back to back Cups. You can never forget that.

Hope he rebounds in the GWN.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad