Confirmed with Link: Matt Murray re-signs with Leafs - 1 year 875k

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Without any proof other than speculation on my part.

View attachment 890697

I believe Treliving convinced Murray to sit out last year on Robidas Island on LTIR and not play to help the Leafs locked in Cap Hell, and now rewarded him by giving him a chance to continue his career comeback at $875k league minimum salary.

Nudge Nudge Wink Wink ...

At league minimum $875 he can provide value to the Leafs as depth #3, and can even play with the Marlies until needed (If needed). Martin Jones played that role well at his $800k last year.
Convincing him to get elective double hip surgery was the real coup.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You’re worried about a third string goalie on league minimum ? If he’s a disaster as you predict they put him on waivers and send him to the Marlies which costs them nothing on the salary cap.

Why bother sign him if we are just going to waive him... again I go back to my OP ....why?

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
It really sucks how injuries destroyed his career, hopefully the stars align for Matt, but doesn't seem likely. But hey who knows....hoping for the best with him.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm ok with this... not my top target but he can keep working in the system and likely passes through waivers in September. He can get time in the AHL and provide some vet insurance.

It keeps a laneway for Hildeby to get some starts should he continue to play well.

Reactions: Menzinger

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
Was Jones not available for the same contract? He can actually be relied upon to stay healthy and make some starts in an emegency.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Was Jones not available for the same contract? He can actually be relied upon to stay healthy and make some starts in an emegency.

Jones sucks, may as well give Hildeby some games in that case.

Murray just had a year off and surgery, he is likely the healthiest he's been in a long time and there is some upside with him.

This is the best signing you can make for a 3rd goalie that I can think of.

Reactions: bax and TMLAM34

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Jones sucks, may as well give Hildeby some games in that case.

Murray just had a year off and surgery, he is likely the healthiest he's been in a long time and there is some upside with him.

This is the best signing you can make for a 3rd goalie that I can think of.

I think the Leafs org is high on Hildeby, so this signing helps give him an avenue for NHL action while also ensuring there is vet depth if needed

Reactions: Menzinger

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think I speak for the entire Leaf nation when I ask .... why?
1719933491176.png

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Murray gives us the 2022-23 season, Stolarz gives us a steady 30 and Woll makes progress and plays 40ish games we are going to be okay. It’s going to look very ugly but any means necessary when you’ve decided to go opposite of bluechip goaltending.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I really like the goalie choices. Stolarz and Woll are a cost-effective tandem with big upside, and Murray is perfect as a #3 with tons of NHL Experience if they need him in a pinch and he won't get claimed. Also, he can mentor Hildeby.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Why would they sign this guy again.

I'm surprised he didn't get a raise too. I bet he got a NTC. I guess the thinking is he plays a few preseason games and hopes he does well enough someone claims him off waivers.

They're not gonna carry three goalies on the roster.

There is no more echl team. The Leafs didn't think it was important enough a development team worth saving. So I don't know what they're gonna do with Murray's crippled useless broken body.

Happy extra million bucks for doing nothing the whole time you were here pal.

Don't spend it all in one spot. It might be the last NHL contract you'll ever get. There's only one GM in the league dumb enough to give you a contract now.

It just so happens he's the one running my favourite hockey team.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I'm surprised he didn't get a raise too. I bet he got a NTC. I guess the thinking is he plays a few preseason games and hopes he does well enough someone claims him off waivers.

There is no more echl team. The Leafs didn't think it was important enough a development team worth saving. So I don't know what they're gonna do with Murray's crippled useless broken body.

Happy extra million bucks for doing nothing the whole time you were here pal.

Don't spend it all in one spot. It might be the last NHL contract you'll ever get. There's only one GM in the league dumb enough to give you a contract now.

It just so happens he's the one running my favourite hockey team.

If he has recovered well from surgery and he is 100% healthy, he may be our best goalie, so that's likely why they re-signed him.

I don't think he is getting back to his pre-injury self, but we can do a lot worse for our #3.

This seems like a 0 risk move with an insanely high upside.

It's a great signing, good job Tre.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

They signed him for that reason - he's likely tp pass through waivers.

You're not going to be able to sign a high quality player to be the #3 regardless of the team, they're either vets not quite good enough to be a regular backup or an unproven prospect.

Murray at least has a track record that if he's healthy he's capable of playing well enough

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Apparently Murray was very appreciative of all the effort, tools, and resources the Leafs put into his health & recovery last season, even as a pending UFA. Have to think that translated into him wanting to stay - and if he's reading the same thing into the uncertainty in the Leafs crease as the rest of us, there's probably a decent chance he gets NHL time.
I really like the goalie choices. Stolarz and Woll are a cost-effective tandem with big upside, and Murray is perfect as a #3 with tons of NHL Experience if they need him in a pinch and he won't get claimed. Also, he can mentor Hildeby.
Goalies seem to get claimed every year - why wouldn't someone claim him? It's a 0 risk waiver claim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad