Value of: Matt Martin

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Spezza would make no sense. Why would the leafs ad 5 million in cap when they could use that elsewhere to improve their team. Kruger makes more sense since it's only a million more for the canes taking on the extra year.

I could actually see the Leafs taking on Spezzas contract, they have plenty of room and it expires by years end.

They’d need a much bigger sweetner though than the Stars taking on Martin, like a lick or two

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Spezza would make no sense. Why would the leafs ad 5 million in cap when they could use that elsewhere to improve their team. Kruger makes more sense since it's only a million more for the canes taking on the extra year.
Assume Bozak leaves and the options in FA to replace his production are Tavares/Thornton/Stastny. Signing one of them to replace Bozak is easier said than done. Bozak himself to resign, D.Ryan and R.Nash are all going to be looking at multi-year contracts, tying up cap space in the years after the next one to average players when the Leafs have to re-sign Marner and Matthews isn't their smartest play. That's part of the Leafs looking to move Martin. The Leafs will have a lot of cap space next season and bringing someone in that is overpaid on a 1 year term will likely be attempted.

Marcus Kruger is done. Spezza has had a bad year, but it's not out of the question he bounces back. Given the Leafs are going for a cup, I'd rather have the overpaid player be able to contribute instead of being a bottom-6er with the Marlies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Americanadian

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Assume Bozak leaves and the options in FA to replace his production are Tavares/Thornton/Stastny. Signing one of them to replace Bozak is easier said than done. Bozak himself to resign, D.Ryan and R.Nash are all going to be looking at multi-year contracts, tying up cap space in the years after the next one to average players when the Leafs have to re-sign Marner and Matthews isn't their smartest play. The Leafs will have a lot of cap space next season and bringing someone in that is overpaid on a 1 year term will likely be attempted.

I agree, a one year overpayment is the best move this summer. Park the money without making the team weaker during their window while keeping it available in case one of the big RHD make it to the market the year after.

Dream situation is Tavares pulling a Hossa with us for one overpaid year but that is a risk for him. It could be a home run for him as well though, signing your retirement contract with a (likely) higher cap and a (hopefully) strong playoff run on your resume might turn into an extra 10+ million to your name.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
As a Rangers fan, I’d take him on. We need a 4th liner and Martin is well liked right? 3rd+4th+Martin for 7th?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
What do players like: Patrick Eaves, P.K. Subban, Max Pacioretty, Jordan Staal, Kikko Koivu, Mikael Backlund, Chris Kunitz, Drew Doughty, Milan Lucic ... have in common?

They all have less points per 60 then Matt Martin. He isn't the fastest. But he can create space. He has chipped the puck to the net. It might not be pretty, but it works well enough that
he only has 4 less primary assists then Patrick Marleau, a much more desirable offensive player. And Martin has had a lot less talent to work with. Many successful hockey lines feature
two finesse players and that one physical force. Although fans might not appreciate someone like Zack Hyman, not only does he get the job done, he's part of the reason the Leafs can role
three offensive lines rather then two. And when either Matthews and Nylander have no fancy play, they can dump it into the corner and let the pitbull dig it out. I doesn't alway result in
a brilliant play, but even when it doesn't work, the team is in a better position defensively then if they failed trying to be pretty and turned the puck-over. If I were an NHL team and
Matt Martin came on the market, I would definitely be interested. And I wouldn't hesitate to try him in a 'Hyman'-type role. If it doesn't work out, you still have one heck of a 4th liner.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
If/when Tavares walks , the isles will use that money to pay for legitimate top 6 talent. Not another overpaid 4th liner .
You won't see the isles helping Toronto wiggle out of a bad contract.
Yea because everyone wants to play in Brooklyn or wherever the f*** it is lol

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The salary matters a lot less starting next year as the cap is going up 3-7 million and the actual money owed to Martin is less than his AAV.

His statline isn't bad considering his extremely limited minutes and his slowness doesnt seem to effect his abilty to be an above average 4th line defender.

Lateral move is the most probable outcome but negative? Not sure why the Leafs would take a negative deal unless in a panic to clear up cap for a big name but that isn't really a reflection of his value and most fans, even those that like his game, would quickly forget about him if it meant JT or Doughty was on the way.
To my understanding Martin (and his Cap Hit at whatever salary) has two years left at a time when the Leafs may need that Cap Space. If the motivation to trade Martin stems from those priorities (as is indicated in the OP and follow-up) there're your negatives.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Two years left at less than his AAV of only 2.5 when the Cap is about to shoot way up is not much of a worry and his points/60 is pretty good for a 4th liner while being one of the best 4th liners in the league the last few years when it comes to shot suppression.
None of this is a reason another team would seek out a trade for Martin, it's a fine justification (excuse) as to why the Leafs may keep him up but on the bench or in the press box.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
What do players like: Patrick Eaves, P.K. Subban, Max Pacioretty, Jordan Staal, Kikko Koivu, Mikael Backlund, Chris Kunitz, Drew Doughty, Milan Lucic ... have in common?

They all have less points per 60 then Matt Martin. He isn't the fastest. But he can create space. He has chipped the puck to the net. It might not be pretty, but it works well enough that
he only has 4 less primary assists then Patrick Marleau, a much more desirable offensive player. And Martin has had a lot less talent to work with. Many successful hockey lines feature
two finesse players and that one physical force. Although fans might not appreciate someone like Zack Hyman, not only does he get the job done, he's part of the reason the Leafs can role
three offensive lines rather then two. And when either Matthews and Nylander have no fancy play, they can dump it into the corner and let the pitbull dig it out. I doesn't alway result in
a brilliant play, but even when it doesn't work, the team is in a better position defensively then if they failed trying to be pretty and turned the puck-over. If I were an NHL team and
Matt Martin came on the market, I would definitely be interested. And I wouldn't hesitate to try him in a 'Hyman'-type role. If it doesn't work out, you still have one heck of a 4th liner.
This soliloquy begs two questions; why does the OP think the Leafs should trade this obviously elite offensive dynamo? Why doesn't Babcock trust him enough to play him more?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yea because everyone wants to play in Brooklyn or wherever the **** it is lol
CDH expressed disappointment at not getting a multi year extension last summer.
Eberle has indicated he hopes to stick around with an extension.
Earlier this season, Freidman wrote that Tavares sounded like he was coming up with reasons to sign an extension.
Is that everyone? No,but it is key nyi players.
Good luck wiggling out of Martin's overpaid salary/caphit giggles.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Earlier this season, Freidman wrote that Tavares sounded like he was coming up with reasons to sign an extension.

It can be done. I mean Tampa paid essentially a 4th or 7th ultimately to move Flip when he had a NMC, big cap hit and term remaining with the expansion looming?

Likely costs the Leafs picks and/or maybe a guy like Leivo if a team liked him.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
This soliloquy begs two questions; why does the OP think the Leafs should trade this obviously elite offensive dynamo? Why doesn't Babcock trust him enough to play him more?

Matt Martin is currently on one of the deepest teams in the league. At least on forwards. Stating that he could possibly be used in a Zach Hyman-ish role, doesn't mean he's good enough for the Leafs. There are weaker teams out there with possible holes to fill. Some fans are upset by Komarov and Plekanec's offensive output. The Leafs don't need it. The fourth line can play completely boring strangle you to death hockey. Perhaps my comments sound a little too boastful, but it comes in reply to some saying he's quite worthless. On the right team, given third line minutes, it wouldn't surprise me to see his points get into the 30's, lead the league in hits, and be a plus player. He is defiantly more then a knuckle-dragging goon that some make him out to be. He's had more assists in one game then Kapanen has in his career.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Lol 2.5 is nothing if he gets sent down it’ll be 1.4M.... which is chump change to us. We’re retaining more on Kessel..........

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
As a Rangers fan, I’d take him on. We need a 4th liner and Martin is well liked right? 3rd+4th+Martin for 7th?
I doubt we'd want to give up picks to get rid of the cap hit, he's overpaid for sure but he'll be off the books before it really matters to us and Hunter seems to be doing good things with middle round picks for re-enforcements that we can use down the line

would probably be more likely to take a worse contract with one less year on it, Marner and Matthews are still ELC's next year so extra cap doesn't matter as much next year as the year after

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
No thanks... Martin's contract isn't bad he just doesn't have a spot in Toronto anymore.

2.5 isn't work taking on big contracts.

This pretty much. He only has a couple left, sure it may hurt our cap a bit but no way does it offset potentially taking on 2x more salary even if a 1st is involved.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lol 2.5 is nothing if he gets sent down it’ll be 1.4M.... which is chump change to us. We’re retaining more on Kessel..........
Glad it chump change in this cap league.

Isles let someone else take on the $2.5m caphit.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Just wondering ,do you think he gets in the line-up come playoffs?
That Winnipeg game was a little reminder that the Leafs lack the physical component that is usually needed in the playoffs. If you feel the reffing is /was not in the Leafs favor during the season then you are gonna be upset with whats coming.
Personally, I have always felt that the goalie is the biggest factor,but the 'let 'em play' attitude that happens in the playoffs can be a problem for a fast /skilled team like the Leafs. Would be good if they had an answer to some of the nastier players they will face and Martin is unique on the team in that regard.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Just wondering ,do you think he gets in the line-up come playoffs?
That Winnipeg game was a little reminder that the Leafs lack the physical component that is usually needed in the playoffs. If you feel the reffing is /was not in the Leafs favor during the season then you are gonna be upset with whats coming.
Personally, I have always felt that the goalie is the biggest factor,but the 'let 'em play' attitude that happens in the playoffs can be a problem for a fast /skilled team like the Leafs. Would be good if they had an answer to some of the nastier players they will face and Martin is unique on the team in that regard.
If teams force you to play Martin in the Playoffs over other Leafs players who've obviously supplanted him, those teams have already won.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Matt Martin is currently on one of the deepest teams in the league.

Perhaps my comments sound a little too boastful, but it comes in reply to some saying he's quite worthless. On the right team, given third line minutes, it wouldn't surprise me to see his points get into the 30's, lead the league in hits, and be a plus player. He is defiantly more then a knuckle-dragging goon that some make him out to be. He's had more assists in one game then Kapanen has in his career.
What say we let em get in the 20s, you know oh once in his career, before we go making this wild assertion, shall we.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Beleskey for Martin straight up. Maybe Beleskey finds his game and the leafs win. Martin doesn't have to go to the minors, and he has to be at least as good as McLeod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad