Value of: Mats Zuccarello

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Things aren't going well for the Wild this season. We knew they'd miss Fiala, but even I didn't expect it to be this hard this fast. The only team with less even strength goals scored this season is Arizona. So given that we already traded Fiala for a pure futures package, it's time to lean a little bit more into the future of the franchise, rather than the present. I expect Dumba to be gone way or another, with my preference being a trade for whatever we can get.

That said, Zuccarello is another guy who could have some value to a playoff team. He's 35 years and has put up an 83 point per 82 game pace the last two seasons and change, playing next to Kaprizov 100% of the time. His contract is 6M for one more year after this one. I won't sugarcoat it, his one ice play leaves a lot to be desired at this point, and his age is showing, but he still manages to be productive (in terms of points) at the top of the lineup.

The Wild should be trying to put Boldy next to Kaprizov at this point to spur some offense, so I'm not looking for a Zuccarello replacement.

I would like to know the best pick or prospect your team would offer for Zuccarello, either straight up or in a package.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Calgary would be interested, but I don't think we can spare picks at this point.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
omg...not again.

Zuccarello isn't going anywhere, not if the Wild want to re-sign Kaprizov.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Trade him now. He’s being propped up majority by Kaprizov and Kaprizov isn’t going to give a single shit if a 38 year old Zucc is on the team or not when his contract is up.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Calgary would be interested, but I don't think we can spare picks at this point.

Open to prospects too, if that's better. I don't necessarily want younger roster players back, because we have quite a few of those, but I'd be open to hearing offers at least.

omg...not again.

Also sorry in advance, but unfortunately whoever makes the best offer for Zuccarello gets this guy too

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I’ll be surprised if Zucc is traded.

Minnesota is a bubble team this season and I expect they’ll be in the race until near the end of the season, one way or another.

I also have a hard time seeing a team pony up anything of decent value since he has another year left on his contract. If Minny retains could get something of equivalent of 2 2nds, but I doubt that’s worth it.

Zucc simply isn’t the type of player a GM overpays for at the deadline. He’s more of a plan B/C option.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I’ll be surprised if Zucc is traded.

Minnesota is a bubble team this season and I expect they’ll be in the race until near the end of the season, one way or another.

I also have a hard time seeing a team pony up anything of decent value since he has another year left on his contract. If Minny retains could get something of equivalent of 2 2nds, but I doubt that’s worth it.

Zucc simply isn’t the type of player a GM overpays for at the deadline. He’s more of a plan B/C option.
The Rangers got a conditional 2nd and 3rd. He’s older with a year left at $6 million. I think it’s more likely done next season deadline if they are out of contention.

Reactions: Kocur Dill

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
omg...not again.

Are the Wild re-signing Zucc for another 2 years to make Kaprizov happy? I hardly think that's going to be any indication on keeping Kaprizov.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Are the Wild re-signing Zucc for another 2 years to make Kaprizov happy? I hardly think that's going to be any indication on keeping Kaprizov.
Ignore him. Apparently Panarin only wanted Strome as his centre last year. I don't see him asking for a trade now that Strome is gone.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Best bet is to trade him in his final year. Can't imagine any contender wanting him for another year at six million let alone pay anything substantial. He would play down the lineup with lesser minutes and quality of linemates, production probably takes a hit too.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
The Rangers got a conditional 2nd and 3rd. He’s older with a year left at $6 million. I think it’s more likely done next season deadline if they are out of contention.

Depending on the ask for Kane/Tarasenko if either shakes out, I'd give the Hobbit a look for the right price.

It's no secret we need help in the top 9 on RW.

Intrigued to see what he could do with Panarin 5v5 and Trochek as the gopher on that line.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
No, they would re-sign him because he's a PPG player, and by far the best partner for Kaprizov. Their chemistry is unreal.

But I get the feeling that Zucc is done with the Wild when his contract expires. Same with Kaprizov, who should explore the market anyway when he becomes a UFA. I think he was smart when he refused to sign 8 years with the Wild.

Zuccarello was traded for two conditional 1st round picks. To meet the first one he just had to sign with the Stars, and they were just one goal away in the playoffs to meet the second. Too bad it didn't work out for the Rangers, Gorton gambled and lost.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
No, they would re-sign him because he's a PPG player, and by far the best partner for Kaprizov. Their chemistry is unreal.

But I get the feeling that Zucc is done with the Wild when his contract expires. Same with Kaprizov, who should explore the market anyway when he becomes a UFA. I think he was smart when he refused to sign 8 years with the Wild.

Zuccarello was traded for two conditional 1st round picks. To meet the first one he just had to sign with the Stars, and they were just one goal away in the playoffs to meet the second. Too bad it didn't work out for the Rangers, Gorton gambled and lost.
If Gorton could’ve gotten a guaranteed 1st he would have. Anyways, highly doubtful Zucc gets dealt this season as a contender would need 6 million in space to pay him next year. If they are in contention then Minn probably keep him next year too. After that, he’s likely gone… maybe takes 1 year deals if he’s still producing with Kaprizov.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And then he had a 79 point season, beating his best season as a Ranger by 18. He also a PPG this year.
Zuccarello has shown little wear and tear for a guy of his age. He's still quick, if not fast, has great skill and vision, and is extremely smart.

The only reason that he is mildly unpopular on the MN HFB is that a Zuccarello Superfan follows him to whatever team he goes, and seems to delight in annoying said fanbases on the forums. His egotistical shit tends to color impressions of Zucc, even though he has nothing to do with it. NYR fans will know exactly what i am talking about.;)

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Depending on the ask for Kane/Tarasenko if either shakes out, I'd give the Hobbit a look for the right price.

It's no secret we need help in the top 9 on RW.

Intrigued to see what he could do with Panarin 5v5 and Trochek as the gopher on that line.

I don't ask for much. I wouldn't expect a 1st to be a part of the deal.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And then he had a 79 point season, beating his best season as a Ranger by 18.
Zuccarello has shown little wear and tear for a guy of his age. He's still quick, if not fast, has great skill and vision, and is extremely smart.

The only reason that he is mildly unpopular on the MN HFB is that a Zuccarello Superfan follows him to whatever team he goes, and seems to delight in annoying said fanbases on the forums. His egotistical shit tends to color impressions of Zucc, even though he has nothing to do with it. NYR fans will know exactly what i am talking about.;)

Trading Zuccarello has very little to do with any fan or fans and very much more to do with his age, his play, and the state of the team.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trading Zuccarello has very little to do with any fan or fans and very much more to do with his age, his play, and the state of the team.
Oh, I get that. With the trading of Fiala, Guerin seems to have punted on any possibility of MN being a Cup contender anytime soon, so moving Zucc is something to be considered, for sure.

I do think that he some are taking his play for granted, though. He would be a massive addition to any Cup contender wanting to add a top line player with smarts and skill. The guy produces.

When I hear Evason complain about him and Kaprizov, I want to puke. He won't be happy until every forward on the team is a dump and chaser who scores 31 points per season. He's already trying to neuter Boldy.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
And then he had a 79 point season, beating his best season as a Ranger by 18.

Ah yes. We know it well.

Reactions: 57special

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Trade him now. He’s being propped up majority by Kaprizov and Kaprizov isn’t going to give a single shit if a 38 year old Zucc is on the team or not when his contract is up.

I read a interview in the Athletic where Kaprizov said he sings Zuccs daughter lullabies every night over the phone. If Im Minnesota I am taking a long hard consideration into if its the organization or the players he has a bond with that keeps him there. Re-signing Zucc on a veteran contract could prove to be smart asset management.

I mean, Hank was literally crying on camera when Zucc was traded. He is a terrible guy to have around if you want players to just not care if he gets moved.

On that note Id love to see him back in NYR and have him retire a Ranger. Maybe Kaprizov should follow him to a better organization.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I read a interview in the Athletic where Kaprizov said he sings Zuccs daughter lullabies every night over the phone. If Im Minnesota I am taking a long hard consideration into if its the organization or the players he has a bond with that keeps him there. Re-signing Zucc on a veteran contract could prove to be smart asset management.

I mean, Hank was literally crying on camera when Zucc was traded. He is a terrible guy to have around if you want players to just not care if he gets moved.

On that note Id love to see him back in NYR and have him retire a Ranger. Maybe Kaprizov should follow him to a better organization.

It's Kaprizov's contract that keeps him here. It would violate several rules if he were to go sign with another team while under contract with the Wild.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
It's Kaprizov's contract that keeps him here. It would violate several rules if he were to go sign with another team while under contract with the Wild.

Yes that is true. The same is also true for the players desire to sign a new contract when the current one expires. There are many factors to consider for any player who will have no shortcomings of suitors when the contract nears its end. Hard to know what Kaprizov think is important, but if you go by what you know today, one player wanted out is someone said star player seem to be very close to.

Ultimately it might not even be a consideration, but Id at least give it a thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad