Confirmed with Link: Mathieu Joseph traded to Blues

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Man these last few days have really shown me how insufferable some of my fellow Sens fans are..

Staios had to clean up the mess of the last GM. That is now done. Its not Staios' fault he was left a gong show.

Matt Joseph was one of the most mid players on this team. He really didnt bring much and we replaced him with two players who will help change the culture of that forward group.

I hate the idea we should have just ran it back. We were not good enough! We needed change so as to not become the Toronto Maple Leafs. This is part of the real culture change this team has needed.
Someone here this summer said it best.

The moves are not gonna be splashy, everyone is going to bitch and moan, but the team is going to be far better off on the ice.

I'm much more confident in this team this week than I was last week.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Sure, it's not as simple as player for player.

Look at it this way: Amadio and Gregor in for Joseph and Kelly. In aggregate I think we're better and we opened up cap space.

Can someone explain to me how Amadio and Gregor are an improvement over Joseph and Kelly because to me these seem like lateral movements at best.

Reactions: DrEasy

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You said that on the main board too. With new ownership and management - even if we don't like this move - why is that?
Because no matter who's in charge, we get the same shit every single year. Lateral moves at best, that keep this team from ever getting better. I'm tired of being sold hope but finding out I got manure instead.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't mind the move as much as other people but I will say this after looking at our roster - I think we're headed for another rebuild in 2-3 years lol

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
In 76 games Perron had 47 points, 17 of which came on the powerplay (played 2.57 min/game on the PP) and 30 came at even strength

In 72 games Joseph had 35 points, 0 of which came on the powerplay (only played 45 sec/game on the PP)

Unless Perron gets top unit PP time on this team like he did in Detroit, I don't even know if he produces more than Joseph next season, who outproduced Perron at even strength.
Perron isn't Joseph's replacement, Amadio is.

Perron was brought in to bring some sort of leadership and experience in the bottom six. It was an expensive contract and he's declining but I understand why someone who actually communicates with the dressing room would do it.

Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Can someone explain to me how Amadio and Gregor are an improvement over Joseph and Kelly because to me these seem like lateral movements at best.

This team has sucked for years with the same group of players all hanging out and yucking it up at Lieutenant's Pump after games.

Sometimes just being different is better. Especially when all you've done is lose.

New faces are good, even if it doesn't guarantee anything.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Seadogs vs Fighting Hawks representation going down. Tough break, i loved that speed. Figured it was more of a weapon than rest. But he couldnt use it for productivity so he had to go. Im not sure keeping Joseph for 2 more years at that price is better asset management than spending a 3rd to better manage the cap. Sometimes to improve the team you have to forego winning the trade. Market value is what it is.

Reactions: LiseL

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
In 76 games Perron had 47 points, 17 of which came on the powerplay (played 2.57 min/game on the PP) and 30 came at even strength

In 72 games Joseph had 35 points, 0 of which came on the powerplay (only played 45 sec/game on the PP)

Unless Perron gets top unit PP time on this team like he did in Detroit, I don't even know if he produces more than Joseph next season, who outproduced Perron at even strength.
He'll find a way. Unlike Joseph, he's actually done it before.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Staios has already said it. Agree or disagree, he hasn't hidden from it and has articulated his reasoning many times.

Now he can be judged on the results like Dorion was.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
It's fascinating to me that this fanbase watched this roster shit the bed last year yet are so attached and think that many of the players who shit that bed are good and should stay for this upcoming season.
Absolutely agree. Joseph was speed and not much else. He was absolutely brutal at times last year and brought nothing to the table. We needed cap space to sign Pinto and this move is not unexpected at all based on who we could move out.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This team has sucked for years with the same group of players all hanging out and yucking it up at Lieutenant's Pump after games.

Sometimes just being different is better. Especially when all you've done is lose.

New faces are good, even if it doesn't guarantee anything.

If that's how you feel then the problem would be the core, not the fringe players.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
He'll find a way. Unlike Joseph, he's actually done it before.

Perron is also a dickhead to play against who'll bring it even in practice. The team needs that.

Linus Ullmark said that when he went from Buffalo to Boston, he was shocked at how much more intense practices were and how veterans competed against each other every day.

Well right now, we're Buffalo.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Because no matter who's in charge, we get the same shit every single year. Lateral moves at best, that keep this team from ever getting better. I'm tired of being sold hope but finding out I got manure instead.
I think you need to let the new regime settle in first. I HATE this trade, but we need to sign Pinto, what can we do. They cleaned up some of Dorion's mistakes, they trotted in some vets. Let's see how it goes.

I re-iterate though, I HATE this trade

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

They spent a fair bit 4m per for Perron.. A large part of why has to be Veteran Leadership along with how they feel he can compliment the top 9 with his veratility and experience and some edge.
Joseph does not provide that , and if he did they don't sign Perron.
I think there is more that they value in Perron other than straight point production.. which does very little in comparing two players.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Perron isn't Joseph's replacement, Amadio is.

Perron was brought in to bring some sort of leadership and experience in the bottom six. It was an expensive contract and he's declining but I understand why someone who actually communicates with the dressing room would do it.

We didn't need another scoring foward who needs significant PP time to justify his contract.

We should have just added Amadio as the finishing piece on the 3rd line. He fits what we need, not Perron.

If you want leadership and experience we should have outbid teams like Toronto/Winnipeg/Colorado for Hakanpaa/Miller/DeHaan. There's also plenty of veterans available right now to play down the lineup.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
OK, first move of the Staios era that I think is just objectively bad. All of the bad contracts given yesterday, and we're paying to drop a useful 3rd liner with a 2.95M cap hit for only two more years?

Unless there are off-ice issues, this makes no sense.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad