Confirmed with Link: Mathieu Joseph traded to Blues

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Man these last few days have really shown me how insufferable some of my fellow Sens fans are..

Staios had to clean up the mess of the last GM. That is now done. Its not Staios' fault he was left a gong show.

Matt Joseph was one of the most mid players on this team. He really didnt bring much and we replaced him with two players who will help change the culture of that forward group.

I hate the idea we should have just ran it back. We were not good enough! We needed change so as to not become the Toronto Maple Leafs. This is part of the real culture change this team has needed.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think Staios wants to surround Tkachuk and Stützle with guys who have good habits, compete hard in games + practice, and have a pedigree of winning instead of guys who want to cash their paycheque and have a good time on weekends.
I wonder who Perron will cheap shot and get suspended for.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Perron is a major upgrade over Joseph. I like Joseph at a person, he's just not bringing enough as a player.
Perron is 36, he's better but he's also just as likely to start breaking down this year.

It is what it is, we wanted veterans that weren't awful and we got some.

The clean up in aisle "Pierre Dorion is the worst GM of all time" continues

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

That must have been one tough negotiation. What do you want for him... Nothing... Well how 'bout you attach a 3rd round pick in next year's draft.. OK.

Very hard to understand Joseph having negative value.
I mean was this we tried 32 teams and no takers for free. So no one would have taken him on waivers must have been the assessment. Hard to fathom.
Why break Dorion's tradition?

1719946628752.jpeg

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I think Staios wants to surround Tkachuk and Stützle with guys who have good habits, compete hard in games + practice, and have a pedigree of winning instead of guys who want to cash their paycheque and have a good time on weekends.

Perron is more of a Tarasenko replacement, if we're being honest, as well.

Gregor will do what Joseph did for much less money.

I think you're overestimating Gregor or underestimating Joseph.

Joseph was a guy who could plug in up and down the lineup, left side or right. He was a very versatilite player, and he brought speed to a top nine that lacks it. I understand the reasons for moving him out, but let's be realistic about what he provides.

Gregor is a 4th liner.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024

Joseph was a guy who could plug in up and down the lineup, left side or right. He was a very versatilite player, and he brought speed to a top nine that lacks it.

Gregor is a 4th liner.

Sure, it's not as simple as player for player.

Look at it this way: Amadio and Gregor in for Joseph and Kelly. In aggregate I think we're better and we opened up cap space.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Just further proof, after Ullmark and Chychrun, that the market is the market. You don't get to pick a different one that would be kinder to you, you have to deal in reality. If someone liked him better than STL, they would have traded him there.

Yet other teams appear to deal in a market where they dont need to hand out picks to get rid of players, in this case a good player on a decent contract. Hmm.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well, worries are getting confirmed, this team still has no idea what they are doing

Signing 36 y/o Perron to a 4.0 AAV to pay and dump the defensive guy who finished 5th in ES scoring last season. I would bet a good amount that Perron scores less ES pts this season

This is getting ridiculous

Reactions: Cosmix and bicboi64

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's not that hard to understand, really. Joseph was a mostly underperforming, very inconsistent player on a bad, very inconsistent team.

It's easy to see why other teams would ask, "why would we want that?".

I am not the biggest Joseph supporter and argued with my share of people on here about what he is.. Never thought he was negative value.. I mean he can do some things better for sure.. but his speed is an asset ; not completely maximized but still an asset. He is quite good on the PK,
Like I said earlier the Sens must have been very motivated for $ or possibly something else to move him.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Sure, it's not as simple as player for player.

Look at it this way: Amadio and Gregor in for Joseph and Kelly. In aggregate I think we're better and we opened up cap space.

I agree that Amadio is basically plugging into the Joseph role. I don't mind the changes. I just wish it didn't cost us as much as it did on Joseph.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Joseph was a guy who could plug in up and down the lineup, left side or right. He was a very versatilite player, and he brought speed to a top nine that lacks it. I understand the reasons for moving him out, but let's be realistic about what he provides.

Gregor is a 4th liner.
Once we got a real head coach in Martin, Joseph became a non factor.

He isn't very good and is overpaid. We were never going to be rid of that contract without giving up another asset.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Man these last few days have really shown me how insufferable some of my fellow Sens fans are..

Staios had to clean up the mess of the last GM. That is now done. Its not Staios' fault he was left a gong show.

Matt Joseph was one of the most mid players on this team. He really didnt bring much and we replaced him with two players who will help change the culture of that forward group.

I hate the idea we should have just ran it back. We were not good enough! We needed change so as to not become the Toronto Maple Leafs. This is part of the real culture change this team has needed.
Staios had several jobs to do this offseason. Fix the goaltending, bring in a top 4 RHD, and help change up the culture of the locker room. On paper, he's accomplished all of those. Not only are all the players brought in much better fits stylistically for this team, but they also are professionals and good veteran mentors for this team. The core of this team needs to learn how to be true pros at the NHL level if they want to take the next step, and they're not going to learn how to do that unless there are quite a few guys in the room to look at as examples.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
In 76 games Perron had 47 points, 17 of which came on the powerplay (played 2.57 min/game on the PP) and 30 came at even strength

In 72 games Joseph had 35 points, 0 of which came on the powerplay (only played 45 sec/game on the PP)

Unless Perron gets top unit PP time on this team like he did in Detroit, I don't even know if he produces more than Joseph next season, who outproduced Perron at even strength.

Reactions: Cosmix and bicboi64

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
perpetuating a loser country club locker room even more loser behaviour though.

these guys take winning and playing in the nhl for granted, it's the biggest problem with this team.

staois is trying to fix the most sinister problem with the team.
If this is the case they should have 100% shipped out a core member

trading around the edges won't change country club behaviour

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad