Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
I’m sick and tired of reject scouts, who couldn’t get an actual NHL job, plying their services for media and their poor projections becoming gospel for hockey fans.

Mason Lohrei is an exceptional young talent. Those who prayed to the church of Corey Pronman etc are in for a rude awakening. Bruins have a solid prospect pool.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
How do you lock this kid up early and save some $$ down the line? Give him 4/5 asap or something ?

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I’m sick and tired of reject scouts, who couldn’t get an actual NHL job, plying their services for media and their poor projections becoming gospel for hockey fans.

Mason Lohrei is an exceptional young talent. Those who prayed to the church of Corey Pronman etc are in for a rude awakening. Bruins have a solid prospect pool.
We got to stop worrying about the prospect rankings. These are just based on abundance of high skill talent. Basically any teams that are bad for a long time and have had lots of first round picks are at the top. It makes perfect sense to me. Bruins are good at drafting and developing. They almost never have first round picks and when they do it’s like 25+.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He has made great progress this year, and we are seeing into the future with his skillset, which is needed on the backend.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Please please please get him off the top pair, he's getting eaten alive. On the 3rd goal he didn't realize that Barkov beat the two forwards coming back and he was the only thing between him and the goal, instead of playing center field he went to shove the other Panthers player out of the slot and cleared the path for him. Swayman bailed him out in other points in that game, like when he let Tarasenko get behind him. 3rd pair with Peeke is ideal, top pair vs the iron is not going well.

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
i'm interested in what the boards thoughts are on what lohrie's offensive numbers will be next year. he's improved his output year to year in the ushl and at Ohio State. I bet he would have had more points than he did his last buckeye season if he hadn't gotten hurt. if he stays healthy, has decent playing time, and gets some shifts on PP2, I think we could see a big improvement on his 4 goals and 9 assists.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
i'm interested in what the boards thoughts are on what lohrie's offensive numbers will be next year. he's improved his output year to year in the ushl and at Ohio State. I bet he would have had more points than he did his last buckeye season if he hadn't gotten hurt. if he stays healthy, has decent playing time, and gets some shifts on PP2, I think we could see a big improvement on his 4 goals and 9 assists.
Yeah, PP time is the key. Torey Krug put up 40 points his first full season but he was on PP1.

I'll say 35 points with PP2 time and consistent 3rd pair minutes.

Reactions: Raleighfern

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
Likely to see 8-10 goals and 20 assists, he is gold!

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
Wouldn't be surprised to see Lohrei force Monty to play him big minutes more and more, as the season moves along. How long will it take for him to take over the first PP unit...it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
i'm excited about the potential for more points from our backend with lohrie's development, zadorov's points, and the hoped for general improvment with leech back there.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Wouldn't be surprised to see Lohrei force Monty to play him big minutes more and more, as the season moves along. How long will it take for him to take over the first PP unit...it's just a matter of time.
I agree. Lohrei looks destined for the top 4. That would put Zadorov on the third pair, where he has spent most of his long career. He and Peeke would make for an $8M+ 3rd pair. Tough use of capspace. Maybe they find someone to take H Lindholm’s contract in that case (would probably require a first to go with Lindholm or a lot of cap retention to entice a team to take on the remaining term).

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I agree. Lohrei looks destined for the top 4. That would put Zadorov on the third pair, where he has spent most of his long career. He and Peeke would make for an $8M+ 3rd pair. Tough use of capspace. Maybe they find someone to take H Lindholm’s contract in that case (would probably require a first to go with Lindholm or a lot of cap retention to entice a team to take on the remaining term).
Are you just trading Lindholm out of principle? Lohrei is cheap. Lets you spend more on the other two defensemen.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Are you just trading Lindholm out of principle? Lohrei is cheap. Lets you spend more on the other two defensemen.
Not out of principal, but for cap management purposes. $8M+ for the third pair means you are underallocated in other positions of need. It will be fine for this year while Lohrei is on his ELC, but if he performed well enough for a top 4 role this season, he’ll have a much higher cap hit next season on his new deal.

Hampus and Zadorov both have 6 years left at a combined cap hit of $11.5M with one of them being a 3rd pair. Something has to give.
If it gives them an opportunity to get out from under Hampus’ contract (with a significant sweetener) because Lohrei develops as well as many of us hope, then that’s a great situation for the team. Hampus will be 36 at the end of his contract and he had a big regression year already last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad