Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
It'll be a Stark variant, the Disney shills will defend it and say "HUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR IT HAPPENED IN MUH COMIC BOOK 20 YEARS AGO!" what they forget to tell you is Demon in an Armor was horrible and no body bought it, same with the Shalla-Bal Silver Silver, that run was awful as well, just because it happened doesnt make it good, Captain America was mind controlled by HYDRA in Civil War II and it was re-god damn-diclous, The Punisher was temporally turned into a f***ing black guy in something straight out of Face/off tohide his identity from the Kingpin...because of reasons and was utterly f***ing idiotic, one of the worst comics I ever read and borderline racist.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fripp and beowulf

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It'll be a Stark variant, the Disney shills will defend it and say "HUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR IT HAPPENED IN MUH COMIC BOOK 20 YEARS AGO!" what they forget to tell you is Demon in an Armor was horrible and no body bought it, same with the Shalla-Bal Silver Silver, that run was awful as well, just because it happened doesnt make it good, Captain America was mind controlled by HYDRA in Civil War II and it was re-god damn-diclous, The Punisher was temporally turned into a f***ing black guy in something straight out of Face/off tohide his identity from the Kingpin...because of reasons and was utterly f***ing idiotic, one of the worst comics I ever read and borderline racist.

I’ll get back to you once I get sufficient time to unpack this.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Yikessssss

Reactions: x Tame Impala

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
He was already cast and wasted as a generic villain in the first Doctor Strange movie.
Obviously this ship has sailed here with the RDJ news. But Mads would have been an excellent call. I wouldn't have had a problem with reusing him as an actor since his initial appearance is pretty minor in the whole scheme of the MCU.

I'm personally not that precious about who plays whom in things. Bond movies have reused actors in notable roles. Maud Adams being two different Bond girls in two separate movies. Joe Don Baker played a bad guy in one movie and a completely different good guy in the next two. Granted the Bond series cares a lot less about continuity than the MCU. And neither of those folks are the biggest star ... (though casting a former Bond as a Bond villain is kinda a fun idea).

I assume that RDJ is playing a Stark variant (haven't actually read the articles), but even if he wasn't I think I'd be alright with him just being a new character. Definitely a little weird, but what's most important is a good performance, which he is certainly capable of giving.

Interesting times.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Without a doubt Marvel is looking to regain excitement and popularity … so going this direction certainly gets people talking, and now there will be a lot of hype/intrigue about the next Avengers movies and what we can expect to see.

That aside there are some elements there with RDJ coming back as a villian, themes of the multiverse, etc that could make this a great ending of this iteration of the MCU.

The question is can they stick the landing? There are so many loose ends out there post Endgame, I have no idea how they will bring it all back for an epic finale.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Add me as another fan who isn't excited about the RDJ casting, but at the very least they did allude to this being Doom from another Earth rather than the main MCU 616 Earth...so it could be a variant.

But my issue is that I don't want variant Doom established before the main Doom, if that even happens!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Lower your adderall dosage

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
If they do it right, it can work and really be a great storyline. If they do it wrong its going to crash and burn epically. It's a pretty easy thing to pull off. Simply make him a Tony Stark variant from a universe where he was evil instead of good. Poof you get Dr Doom instead of Iron Man.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I can't decide if this is clever or lazy.
I think it’ll be more clever than lazy. Alternate timeline Tony where he’s still just as smart and capable, but turned loose against the world/galaxy/multiverse has a lot of potential. He’d be formidable and have a lot of weight to the story.

I’m interested in this IP again whereas had they stuck with Kang I would’ve gone on hardly caring at all

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Add me as another fan who isn't excited about the RDJ casting, but at the very least they did allude to this being Doom from another Earth rather than the main MCU 616 Earth...so it could be a variant.

But my issue is that I don't want variant Doom established before the main Doom, if that even happens!
You'd have to ask why a Variant of Doom from another Earth would decide to come to the 616 MCU. Can't be random.

I'm more in line with trying to do what they can make up wise or prosthetics wise to alter RDJ's look so that he can look somewhat different than Stark. Why do we need villains from alternative realities?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
You'd have to ask why a Variant of Doom from another Earth would decide to come to the 616 MCU. Can't be random.

I'm more in line with trying to do what they can make up wise or prosthetics wise to alter RDJ's look so that he can look somewhat different than Stark. Why do we need villains from alternative realities?

Yeah, that's why I was thinking they should go down the path of having it be a Tony Stark variant and just retcon Dr Doom's identity. That way you get the storyline of the heroes of having to fight Tony Stark and all of the emotional impact/turmoil that comes with it. It also avoids having to ask the audience to see RDJ in a Marvel movie as a 100% different character and accept it without breaking the suspension of disbelief.

Reactions: NyQuil

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The biggest negative of this multiverse mess also can be a positive -- they can pretty easily write their way into or out of whatever they want.

I don't think setting things up will be that hard. The real challenge will be condensing it/breaking it all back down.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

This version of Doom probably is in the X-men timeline that’s on a collision with 616, so he will look to lead an attack to weaken 616 so his universe reigns over.

This seems to line up with that idea that Tony wanted to put a suit of armour around the world. They have some similarities as characters

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The biggest negative of this multiverse mess also can be a positive -- they can pretty easily write their way into or out of whatever they want.

I don't think setting things up will be that hard. The real challenge will be condensing it/breaking it all back down.
I think the biggest issue is along with them being able to do whatever the hell they want and thus making any tension or adversity feel abstract and manufactured, is that the series loses the degree of groundedness (since citing to relative realism is a bit of a stretch) that the pre-Endgame movies had. Calling the main saga a "sacred" timeline doesn't really conceptually erase that there are infinite other timelines that the characters can hop to or have others hop in to. I mean sure you still want the heroes to prevail in the "sacred" timeline but it makes it all so convoluted when the threads of reality get frayed to meet casting/marketing needs of the studio.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Well the idea is that, I think, Doom and the Fantastic Four (who are from another timeline) would be pulled in via some phenomena.

I have no idea why we need alternate reality people all the time. So many actors who would crush being Doom probably and didn't need RDJ.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I think the biggest issue is along with them being able to do whatever the hell they want and thus making any tension or adversity feel abstract and manufactured, is that the series loses the degree of groundedness (since citing to relative realism is a bit of a stretch) that the pre-Endgame movies had. Calling the main saga a "sacred" timeline doesn't really conceptually erase that there are infinite other timelines that the characters can hop to or have others hop in to. I mean sure you still want the heroes to prevail in the "sacred" timeline but it makes it all so convoluted when the threads of reality get frayed to meet casting/marketing needs of the studio.
100%

I've been skeptical since they said they were going this route. The only chance to make this work would be to have us get invested in variants and other timelines ... but that's been a complete whiff. Rather than building something that works, the multiverse has primarily been used as a nostalgic cameo machine. They've tried to coast by on memories rather than doing something new and it's ultimately going to cheapen the MCU when it was at its best.

Honestly that was inevitable. Once they went the multiverse route it was only a matter of time before the past (RDJ, Chris Evans) start popping up again.

I know some will say it doesn't impact them and that Endgame will still be effective. But I'm skeptical. Just did a full rewatch of all the X-Men movies and, at least for me, what once were emotional moments (end of Logan, as the biggest example) really just don't hit the same as it initially did when it felt like a real end that it now obviously is not.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well the idea is that, I think, Doom and the Fantastic Four (who are from another timeline) would be pulled in via some phenomena.

I have no idea why we need alternate reality people all the time. So many actors who would crush being Doom probably and didn't need RDJ.
RDJ I think can own the part of Victor Von Doom. That's why I don't want him to be some type of Variant of Stark. Victor Von Doom is an iconic character in the Marvel world.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
RDJ I think can own the part of Victor Von Doom. That's why I don't want him to be some type of Variant of Stark. Victor Von Doom is an iconic character in the Marvel world.
An iconic character for Marvel but otherwise not that well known for the general public. As the MCU from the start worked best by bridging the divide here making it's characters accessible to the general public while staying true to their original spirit, do they want a Victor Von Doom who is the on and off king of the made up country of (checks wiki) Latveria ruling from its capital city Doomstadt? Or something everyone's familiar with a version of Tony Stark who just went wrong but mirrors everything else about Dr. Doom?

To be honest I really don't know and am just throwing out a counter theory. As someone only loosely familiar with the Marvel Comics universe - was only interested in X-Men when I was young, I'm sure the full package of Victor Von Doom is great for the comics but feel a simplified/more familiar version might be better for the MCU.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad