Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
My guess is that RDJ becomes Doom in the main X-men universe … which perhaps is on a collision course with 616. So to preserve his timeline, he seeks to destroy 616.

This would set up Secret Wars nicely.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean I'm neither excited, nor upset.

Him in the role can be good, I'm more concerned about entirely pivoting off a previously planned big bad when the post endgame MCU has already felt so directionless and lacking in connective fiber as is.

But as far as variant of Tony Stark as Dr. Doom, it's been done before:

1000062857.jpg

Granted, it was a "What If?" fantasy issue, but the what if show did Captain America as Captain Britain and then the MCU had Hayley Atwell make an extended cameo in that exact role in an alternate universe.

I have had my reservations about the expansion of the concept of the multiverse and the implications of TVA timelines as and entirely separate element for random character intros, but if that's the mechanics of the universe now, I really don't see a huge issue here.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I mean I'm neither excited, nor upset.

Him in the role can be good, I'm more concerned about entirely pivoting off a previously planned big bad when the post endgame MCU has already felt so directionless and lacking in connective fiber as is.

But as far as variant of Tony Stark as Dr. Doom, it's been done before:

View attachment 897535
Granted, it was a "What If?" fantasy issue, but the what if show did Captain America as Captain Britain and then the MCU had Hayley Atwell make an extended cameo in that exact role in an alternate universe.

I have had my reservations about the expansion of the concept of the multiverse and the implications of TVA timelines as and entirely separate element for random character intros, but if that's the mechanics of the universe now, I really don't see a huge issue here.
This echoes my thoughts as well

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Don't understand the RDJ casting at all.
Reeks of fan baiting, knee jerk reaction and desperation since Johnathan Majors is a total idiot that got himself fired at the start of his arc, so they scraped that idea and hot shoted Doom with the first excuse that was handed to them instead of a building up to him , a team up of Galactis, Doom, and Kang vs The Fantastic 4, X-Men, and whatever the hell set of Avengers you wanted to round up would have been the shit but we'll never see that now, Thank Johnny boy, you f***ing dink.

Last edited:
Reactions: BertCorbeau

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think it CAN work with RDJ as Doom, but this is not what I would've done and I think they created a new set of challenges for themselves by using him as Doom.

They already had to 1) Nail Doom's casting (generally) 2) Pivot from Kang in a way that makes sense and now 3) They have to make audiences forget this guy is the Iron Man we love.

Just felt like a "Hey we already have big problems just *normally* but now let's take everyone's favorite and make him evil - replacing a cool opportunity for some other actor like Cillian Murphy to be an iconic Doom"

Reactions: PeteWorrell

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
I think it CAN work with RDJ as Doom, but this is not what I would've done and I think they created a new set of challenges for themselves by using him as Doom.

They already had to 1) Nail Doom's casting (generally) 2) Pivot from Kang in a way that makes sense and now 3) They have to make audiences forget this guy is the Iron Man we love.

Just felt like a "Hey we already have big problems just *normally* but now let's take everyone's favorite and make him evil - replacing a cool opportunity for some other actor like Cillian Murphy to be an iconic Doom"

This. Sure, it COULD work, doesnt make it any less stupid, and dont go pulling the "huuuuuur duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur but it happened in muh comics"! crap, yes it did, in an issue of What If, that sat on shelves and collected dust because nobody f***ing read it, Why not bring back Chris Evans to be the HYRDA controlled Captain America? It happened in Civil War II and it to was stupid as f***, everybody hated it and the book didnt sell ever since and is largely forgotten.

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Lazy by Marvel….

Since RDJ already played IM, I’m guessing Dr Dr Doom is from another universe ?

That’s the problem with the multiverse, you can do whatever you want and choose the easy path and in this case it’s obvious they are using it to bring back their cash cow (RDJ)

FF4 looks cool tho

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
My hope is the return of RDJ is an illusion or a disguise by Mephisto who has Stark's soul trapped but I highly doubt the writers are that clever to have thought that part up or even know who Mephisto even is.

Reactions: Power Man

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't like having RDJ return as villain it seems all wonky
As long as it's not a variant, I'm ok with it. A couple of actors have played more than 1 role in the MCU. Hawkeye's wife voiced one of Rocket's friends in the Guardians 3 movie. But, in terms of pure acting, Gemma Chan played a lead character in Eternals and one of the Cree in Captain Marvel (though she was in blue makeup for it, thus not clear that they were the same actor).

So, hopefully, they do something to RDJ's look so that it's not just "Stark's" face on Doom. That it's at least different just enough so that RDJ can play the character without it being a variant of Stark.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My hope is the return of RDJ is an illusion or a disguise by Mephisto who has Stark's soul trapped but I highly doubt the writers are that clever to have thought that part up or even know who Mephisto even is.

I'm sure they know who he is after all of the hysteria regarding Mephisto that comic book nerds projected on to Wanda Vision.

Or again, when they thought that he was pretending to be Dr. Strange in the trailers for Spider Man: No Way Home.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
I'm sure they know who he is after all of the hysteria regarding Mephisto that comic book nerds projected on to Wanda Vision.

Or again, when they thought that he was pretending to be Dr. Strange in the trailers for Spider Man: No Way Home.
I stand by my statement, Cannon Pictures bought the rights to Spider-Man knowing nothing about the character or Marvel comics in the mid 80s and wanted to make the movie a shitty David Cronenberg style body horror rip off, it took Stan Lee interfering when he read the script to block it from ever being made since he still had the creative control.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I stand by my statement, Cannon Pictures bought the rights to Spider-Man knowing nothing about the character or Marvel comics in the mid 80s and wanted to make the movie a shitty David Cronenberg style body horror rip off.

How is something that happened 40 years ago relevant to today's MCU writers?

As long as it's not a variant, I'm ok with it. A couple of actors have played more than 1 role in the MCU. Hawkeye's wife voiced one of Rocket's friends in the Guardians 3 movie. But, in terms of pure acting, Gemma Chan played a lead character in Eternals and one of the Cree in Captain Marvel (though she was in blue makeup for it, thus not clear that they were the same actor).

So, hopefully, they do something to RDJ's look so that it's not just "Stark's" face on Doom. That it's at least different just enough so that RDJ can play the character without it being a variant of Stark.

I almost think that they have to lean into the Tony Stark thing at this point.

He's the most recognizable face in the MCU so it's not like recasting a minor character.

They'll probably do some kind of big mask reveal and the F4 guys will be like "that's what he looks like" but the MCU guys will be like "holy shit, don't you know who that is?"

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How is something that happened 40 years ago relevant to today's MCU writers?

I almost think that they have to lean into the Tony Stark thing at this point.

He's the most recognizable face in the MCU so it's not like recasting a minor character.

They'll probably do some kind of big mask reveal and the F4 guys will be like "that's what he looks like" but the MCU guys will be like "holy shit, don't you know who that is?"
Doom is a great iconic character, so they need to do him justic. Unlike what they did to the Mandarin character in Ironman 3 for example. That's why I don't want a variant of Stark.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Doom is a great iconic character, so they need to do him justic. Unlike what they did to the Mandarin character in Ironman 3 for example. That's why I don't want a variant of Stark.

That's fair.

The other F4 film iterations have never really captured the character very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad