Player Discussion Martin Pospisil: 2018 4th round, 105th overall

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Actually no, it’s getting a bit into physics and seems super counter intuitive, but pushing to the side actually generates a lot more forward velocity than pushing straight back regardless of what method you compare it against. The reasoning is kind of what you touched on, because the force along the y axis (the outward part) is forced into forward velocity due to the sliding skate only being capable of forward or backward motion. It kind of operates like a gear box, it requires more force but you get a lot more velocity out of it compared to the same amount of force applied straight backward. It’s why you’ll see players strides widen as they get up to top speed, the same way you’d start a car in 1st gear then shift up at higher speeds.

If you’re a nerd like me and this at all intrigues you, this topic is a lot more covered around sailing. It’s the same concept that let’s sail boats travel faster than the wind speed powering them. A weird way to think of it in a simpler way is imagine trying to grab something slippery, and how it shoots out of your hand. Now what moved faster, your fingers while they were squeezing it or the object that shot out, despite the direction of the force almost being perpendicular?
Okay I'm going to take this to the OT thread. Let's discuss further.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I was excited to read about my boy Popsicle and got a physics lecture instead

Gross. Give me a history lecture or the story of your life or something, but physics is just eye bleeding.

Anyways, Martin Popsicle has turned out into something special. I’m still going to call him popsicle as a nickname since that’s how we all thought his name sounded like when we drafted him 😂😂😂.

• Love
Reactions: Figgy44 and salwan

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Gross. Give me a history lecture or the story of your life or something, but physics is just eye bleeding.

Anyways, Martin Popsicle has turned out into something special. I’m still going to call him popsicle as a nickname since that’s how we all thought his name sounded like when we drafted him 😂😂😂.

IIRC, it's either Popsicle or Possible.

Everything is Pospisil in this life!

Reactions: Kahvi and super6646

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Was it Tuulola who said this few years ago? btw Flames still have his NHL rights, statwatching tells me he's had a good start this year, 9 points in 12 games in Liiga.

Yeah, Eetu Tuulola said, "Everything is possible in this life".

Reactions: Kahvi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad