Martin Marincin vs Oscar Klefbom

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Two young D. Both started their NHL careers this season. Who will become a better D?

Klefbom was more highly touted, being a 1st round pick and top D in the WJC. However he battled injuries since then, fortunately having a promising NHL stint

Marincin is a lower 2nd round pick, but did well in the AHL and had a better NHL stint

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
I'm personally just a big Marincin fan, he has been my favourite prospect for awhile and I loved the way he played this year.

I think if he can add some muscle he will be a stud.

I like Klefbom and he probably has more upside. Just like Martin more

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
IMO Klefbom has higher ceiling (potential #2 D) but Marincin is safer pick (potential #3 D). I'll vote for Klefbom.

That's my thinking too. Klefbom looked more offensively talented at times in the NHL and had a great ability to get shots through. Marincin only started jumping up in the play and rushing the puck as the season wore on. Defensively I am not sure whos better. Klefbom looked solid towards the latter games, but he was playing easier minutes. Marincin had more rookie mistakes but played tougher minutes, so easier to get exposed

Marincin was always recognized as an offensive D in junior and AHL. So I think once hes able to utilize his full talents he should only get better. The only thing is, it appears his offense comes from being risky and rushing the puck, so if he improves offensively, hell take more risks defensively. But I feel he was forced to play a conservative game in the NHL since he was playing harder minutes

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I voted Marincin based solely on my belief that Klefbom will never remain healthy enough to be a reliable defenceman.

If Klefbom could stay healthy I think he would most likely be a better player.

Perhaps his injuries are fluke.. I hope so.

Perhaps he needs to change his game to one his body can handle. In that case he becomes more of a wild card.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I say Marincin. He just gets it. He knows what to do with a puck. He hasn't had much offense but it looks to me like he will have good numbers as he evolves. He plays safe but he will pinch and even has some dangle in his game. Most importantly, when he screws up he does not panic at all.

Klefbom has more potential, but I'm kind of sick about hearing about potential TBH. Marincin has proven a lot more, which I find refreshing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Klefbom for me, as long as he can stay relatively healthy he will be a beast of a player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I say Marincin. He just gets it. He knows what to do with a puck. He hasn't had much offense but it looks to me like he will have good numbers as he evolves. He plays safe but he will pinch and even has some dangle in his game. Most importantly, when he screws up he does not panic at all.

Klefbom has more potential, but I'm kind of sick about hearing about potential TBH. Marincin has proven a lot more, which I find refreshing.

He has? He played a few more NHL games but i wouldn't consider that much more proven.
If you take into account their pre-NHL career, Klefbom was a lot more proven at a higher level (WJC All Star, prominent role on a pro team).

Marincin is a nice player but what gives Klefbom the edge for me is his strength and ability to win puck battles. Marincin gets worked along the boards because he's still way too lean while Klefbom started winning puck battles almost immediately into his NHL career.
I honestly think that Klefbom will easily be the better player as long as he stays healthy. Durability is his one big weakness.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Tentatively Marincin for me.

I have yet to be overly impressed with Klefbom. But this was Klefbom's first year in NA, so there is room for growth.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
IMO Klefbom has higher ceiling (potential #2 D) but Marincin is safer pick (potential #3 D). I'll vote for Klefbom.

Yeah, I think Klefbom has potential to turn into a Seabrook/Phillips type of D-man.
Marincin's upside is Petry, i think, which is good.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He has? He played a few more NHL games but i wouldn't consider that much more proven.
If you take into account their pre-NHL career, Klefbom was a lot more proven at a higher level (WJC All Star, prominent role on a pro team).

Marincin is a nice player but what gives Klefbom the edge for me is his strength and ability to win puck battles. Marincin gets worked along the boards because he's still way too lean while Klefbom started winning puck battles almost immediately into his NHL career.
I honestly think that Klefbom will easily be the better player as long as he stays healthy. Durability is his one big weakness.

Agreed, I think that Klefbom is a cut above but injuries could take a toll on him which would be a real shame since he has so much potential.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Tough to say, Marincin was impressive in his time. I have had very high hopes for Klefbom though. We really need both of them to turn out to be at the very least solid reliable long term dmen.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

that's just it though. I count pre-NHL career as NHL potential. It's nice to have a proven NHL asset. Potential isn't irrelevant, but Klefbom has had a spotty pre-NHL start too. He's been injured a lot and he was sub-par on the Barons. He looked way better as an Oiler, but there's a small sample size there. It's not just the difference in GP either. It's in the minutes per game as well.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Marincin for me.

I think both are very similar in talent.

Marincin is very clearly the superior player right now and is playing like a true top 4 NHL D-man right now. At only 22 right now he is years away from his peak, plus has so much room to grow physically. Imagining him being 210-220 while maintaining that great skating, positioning, and reach... The guys ceiling is crazy good.

Really depends how much he can improve his strength/weight. But really with proper diet and work out that should not be a problem. Very much like RNH his main draw back is not being big enough to handle the big western conference.

Klefbom's effectiveness this year has been greatly exaggerated. A lot of fanboys are pumping tires. You can not even really compare the two since Klefbom primarily has faced much weaker opponents, lower ice time, and done slightly worse in a much more limited role.

Klefbom does have the draft pedigree, potential, and physical tools to be better than Maracin but right now that is purely speculation and hope. Disappointing would be the only way to describe Klefboms career to date. Injuries and adapting to the NA style of game has slowed his development to a crawl. Barring more injuries he should be able to get back on track but I fear what the loss of a full year has done to his top end potential.

I think Klefbom is one more serious injury away from becoming a bust... Btw last I heard he was injured again down in OKC.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Marincin for me.

Marincin is very clearly the superior player right now and is playing like a true top 4 NHL D-man right now. At only 22 right now he is years away from his peak, plus has so much room to grow physically. Imagining him being 210-220 while maintaining that great skating, positioning, and reach... The guys ceiling is crazy good.

Really depends how much he can improve his strength/weight. But really with proper diet and work out that should not be a problem. Very much like RNH his main draw back is not being big enough to handle the big western conference.

Klefbom's effectiveness this year has been greatly exaggerated. A lot of fanboys are pumping tires. You can not even really compare the two since Klefbom primarily has faced much weaker opponents, lower ice time, and done slightly worse in a much more limited role.

Klefbom does have the draft pedigree, potential, and physical tools to be better than Maracin but right now that is purely speculation and hope. Disappointing would be the only way to describe Klefboms career to date. Injuries and adapting to the NA style of game has slowed his development to a crawl. Barring more injuries he should be able to get back on track but I fear what the loss of a full year has done to his top end potential.

I think Klefbom is one more serious injury away from becoming a bust... Btw last I heard he was injured again down in OKC.

Well keep your fingers crossed.

Can someone explain to me why you have to tear down one prospect to "prop up" another. Geez.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Well keep your fingers crossed.

Can someone explain to me why you have to tear down one prospect to "prop up" another. Geez.

Marincin for me.

People see what they want to see and read what they want to read to the exclusion of all else if suits their agenda.

I like Klefbom a lot. Shows tons of potential but your just ignoring facts if you toss out his injury history or that he so far has only looked good playing bottom pairing minutes and match ups. I would blame his bad games with Schultz being a disaster more because of Schultz than Klefbom but that pairing certainly had some seriously bad games.

If Klefbom can get healthy and stay healthy soon it would be very impressive if Klefbom did as well or better than Marincin played this year. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

EDIT: Mr Positive. Thanks. Figured my post had both positive and negatives for both players.

Oct 30, 2011
Without the injuries, the race would be a lot closer, but right now Marincin has the edge.

Longterm? Hard to say.

I'm not going to predict that the next injury will somehow prevent Klefbom from progressing further(though one has to hope it'll be after he's established himself for a full season).

I think a dose of veteran leadership would help both guys though. Nothing with Petry and Ference, but it would be nice to have a legit top pairing guy to mentor these kids.

Hopefully both guys have a productive off-season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I feel like Marincin is the more cerebral player. I donno... I like his head for the game a bit more than Klefboms.

I wish the Oilers would try and develop some of these guys' offensive awareness though. Players like Petry are nice, but we need more guys who can put up points.

I remember a comment, (I can't remember by who unfortunately) that was basically along the lines of wanting Marincin to only focus on his defensive game when he is up here. Now I suppose I can see value in that, but this is a guy that put up offensive numbers in junior and in the AHL. It is a large part of his game. Having him come up and focus solely on one part of his game seems like a pretty good way to just have him lose that other part of his game. The part that frankly made him such a promising prospect in the first place.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I feel like Marincin is the more cerebral player. I donno... I like his head for the game a bit more than Klefboms.

I wish the Oilers would try and develop some of these guys' offensive awareness though. Players like Petry are nice, but we need more guys who can put up points.

I remember a comment, (I can't remember by who unfortunately) that was basically along the lines of wanting Marincin to only focus on his defensive game when he is up here. Now I suppose I can see value in that, but this is a guy that put up offensive numbers in junior and in the AHL. It is a large part of his game. Having him come up and focus solely on one part of his game seems like a pretty good way to just have him lose that other part of his game. The part that frankly made him such a promising prospect in the first place.

I guess the rub there is if he's been eaten alive defensively, you can't really let him be offensive.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
klefbom because he already possesses something we need a lot of and it is a quick accurate breakout pass

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton
Marincin now, Klefbom future.

You can see the full package already with Klefbom, he just needs to play more games and work out the kinks. I think Marincin is a better pick for the lineup next season though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad