Player Discussion Marner

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Since people over in the nylander thread think I'm a marner fanboy let me just say that Marner is playing horrific for a 11M right now as well

Matthewd horrific for a 13.25M player

if marner has only ppg season some how he would need to win the conn smythe to be worth bringing back next year.

Right now 34, 16, and 88, are competing to see who can disapoint the most.

Tavares has passed that group and is a perpetual disapointment

Praying for a dominant stretch of games for these 3 the enxt 4-5 games to get us to a good record and to see them play and produce like they have in the past and are expected to.

Marners style of hockey is infuriating when not working. Too perimeter, too focused on playing near the point and forcing passes. He needs to work this out and become more dynamic and diverse offensive threat for him to succeed in the playoffs.

I need 100 pts from 16 and 88

And 110 from 34

For them to be worth close to their deals
If you're Matthews and your teammate Marner just wants to sauce passes from the perimeter and not create screens, not good to the net, not be a shooting threat, not physically battle for a puck, then your gonna have a hard time producing offense.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If winning is the goal there are times throughout the playoffs when you must sacrifice your body. He ( they) haven’t shown they’re willing to do that. If the leaders won’t , then the rest won’t either.
I get what you mean and I mostly agree. Just the idea of someone like Marner "sacrifing their body" is a bit scary. :)

Mostly I just want everyone engaged and playing their butts off. And that has been lacking at times, especially in game 7's.

Reactions: Nineteen67

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Since people over in the nylander thread think I'm a marner fanboy let me just say that Marner is playing horrific for a 11M right now as well

Matthewd horrific for a 13.25M player

if marner has only ppg season some how he would need to win the conn smythe to be worth bringing back next year.

Right now 34, 16, and 88, are competing to see who can disapoint the most.

Tavares has passed that group and is a perpetual disapointment

Praying for a dominant stretch of games for these 3 the enxt 4-5 games to get us to a good record and to see them play and produce like they have in the past and are expected to.

Marners style of hockey is infuriating when not working. Too perimeter, too focused on playing near the point and forcing passes. He needs to work this out and become more dynamic and diverse offensive threat for him to succeed in the playoffs.

I need 100 pts from 16 and 88

And 110 from 34

For them to be worth close to their deals
Marner pretty much paces out 100 points every season so he's a pass by your criteria?

I know you know this but there is more to the game than just points.

Reactions: arso40

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Matthews: 1st in the league in shots, 1st in missed shots, 2nd in ixG (barely behind somebody with 2 more games), 1st in iSCF, 1st in iHDCF, etc.
This place: That darn playmaker on his line must be limiting his chances!
:laugh:

Reactions: Confucius and bax

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner pretty much paces out 100 points every season so he's a pass by your criteria?

I know you know this but there is more to the game than just points.
points matter the most especially at these current deals

WE talk about being good defensively year in and year out

Matthews and Marner have top 3 selke finishes and still come playoffs the team and they themselves struggle with putting pts and getting offense.

This team should be ovepowering other teams with the allegedly elite/uncompetable talent they have in the core 4/5 guys

100 pts you are right is too low. He needs to be at 110+. Him and Nylander should be on the 1st and 2nd NHL teams as RW to be able to justify 11.5M and I am assuming 12.5M (marners potential ask)

Marners defense did him nothing when he played another super star player in pastrnak who managed to get two big goals when marner was on the ice/at fault.

To beat teams we will need huge offensive power from the stars + good defensive system (not indovudally foced defensive players) which promotes physicality and sustained pressure offense + goaltending

Marner/Matthews/Barkov (another guy whose defense league wide is praised to lengths) all they want, the elite and best players will get their chances and pts across the EVS/5v5/PP as we saw with Mcdavid vs Barkov/panthers in the finals

Our core needs to be the guys that are pushing and out producing other teams stars for us to have a great run

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Honestly, you could call it working hard without a purpose.
Agreed, his numbers prove it. His points are more a reflection of heavy minutes and playing with skilled linemates than his own ability.

Marner has 1 goal, 7 points in 7 games, and is a -2.
  • 3 assists are on the PP.
  • 2 assists are phantom (one from a clearing attempt, the other a dump-in).
  • 1 assist was a shot attempt creating rebound which came 5v5 while playing on a $36 million line.

No matter what the Marner fans are trying to sell, it's not looking good.

Reactions: stickty111

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If you're Matthews and your teammate Marner just wants to sauce passes from the perimeter and not create screens, not good to the net, not be a shooting threat, not physically battle for a puck, then your gonna have a hard time producing offense.
Matthews makes way too much for these excuses

He should be dropping 120 pts now.

Kaprizov plays with zuccerllo (similar style but worse player than marner) and worse offensive teammates overall than Matthews but has been incredible for 2 of past 3 years and is great to start this year

Mcdavid was producing with Maroon, Lucic, etc on the wing.

Matthews/Marner/Nylander have no reason not to be 3 of the top 7 pt producers in the league this year.

Reactions: francis246

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I get what you mean and I mostly agree. Just the idea of someone like Marner "sacrifing their body" is a bit scary. :)

Mostly I just want everyone engaged and playing their butts off. And that has been lacking at times, especially in game 7's.
I don’t expect them to change.

Reactions: arso40

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Are we really getting closer to the goal of winning the cup by signing Marner to $12.5M - $13M?

Yeah yeah yeah we can talk shit all we like about how Nylander being paid his money ain't it either but why the hell would you go and make the same mistake twice?

Overpaying 2 soft wingers instead of 1 is supposed to accomplish what now?

Agreed, his numbers prove it. His points are more a reflection of heavy minutes and playing with skilled linemates than his own ability.

Marner has 1 goal, 7 points in 7 games, and is a -2.
  • 3 assists are on the PP.
  • 2 assists are phantom (one from a clearing attempt, the other a dump-in).
  • 1 assist was a shot attempt creating rebound which came 5v5 while playing on a $36 million line.

No matter what the Marner fans are trying to sell, it's not looking good.
I'm not really much for the "empty calorie points" argument but his points so far this year have definitely been VERY "empty calorie".

Reactions: Antropovsky

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews makes way too much for these excuses

He should be dropping 120 pts now.

Kaprizov plays with zuccerllo (similar style but worse player than marner) and worse offensive teammates overall than Matthews but has been incredible for 2 of past 3 years and is great to start this year

Mcdavid was producing with Maroon, Lucic, etc on the wing.

Matthews/Marner/Nylander have no reason not to be 3 of the top 7 pt producers in the league this year.
Yeah but Matthews has atleast done it, and has seperated himself with goalscoring by a HUGE margin.

What about Marner? Just the greatest 99 point player in history or what's the deal? Utterly zero justification he should be anywhere near the highest paid players in the league, he's not that guy.

The Marner PR crew was absolutely adament how his underlying numbers made him much better than Rantanen back in 2019 when those guys were signing their post ELC contracts. Has it worked that way at all? Has Marner seperated himself at all from Rantanen? Not even f***ing close, if anything it's been Rantanen improving. Don't even have to go into postseason success, Rantanen is a whole different caliber of player than Marner in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad