Player Discussion Marner

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This hosting parties nonsense might be the most pathetic attempt ever to smear one of our players for no reason. Nylander is hardly even injured, he's the only one who shows up for big games, if he was able to play you can be damn sure he would have played and when he was able to play, he was the only guy on the team who was able to actually put the puck in the net.

Not just pathetic, pathetic and disgusting. I get it, some people care more about Marner than they care about the team and that is their right. But when you resort to personal attacks on other players to pump up your one true love, that's just disgraceful.

Nylander addressed both situations. They were arguing over a play. Matthews wanted the puck and didn’t love the quality of passes he was getting from either Marner or Nylander (we don’t know bc we don’t have the audio), Nylander wanted him to shoot and just in general everyone to stop bitching haha. He had every right to call them out, you’re getting killed by Boston they are arguing about nonsense & the boys should be focused on the task at hand. That’s the first thing.

I didn’t love Nylander hosting because optically it doesn’t look good to the public. But he addressed it. They put him in a protocol, he was getting out of that protocol the following day as he practiced the very next day. So I understand he wanted to support the boys. Just optically, it looks bad, makes you feel like damn he should have just played instead of watching from home. But once you step back you understand protocols have to be followed.

Reactions: ACC1224

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Nylander addressed both situations. They were arguing over a play. Matthews wanted the puck and didn’t love the quality of passes he was getting from either Marner or Nylander (we don’t know bc we don’t have the audio), Nylander wanted him to shoot and just in general everyone to stop bitching haha. He had every right to call them out, you’re getting killed by Boston they are arguing about nonsense & the boys should be focused on the task at hand. That’s the first thing.

I didn’t love Nylander hosting because optically it doesn’t look good to the public. But he addressed it. They put him in a protocol, he was getting out of that protocol the following day as he practiced the very next day. So I understand he wanted to support the boys. Just optically, it looks bad, makes you feel like damn he should have just played instead of watching from home. But once you step back you understand protocols have to be followed.
That’s subjective to a pre existing notion cause I never felt that way about it at all

Reactions: francis246

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Tbh, that's actually how I saw it too. Matthews was crying to Marner, Marner sitting there like "what??" then Nylander saying stop crying to Matthews. I haven't seen the Prime series yet, though, I've heard it gets addressed there.
...Matthews, Marner, and Nylander were on the shift right before the bench argument. During that shift, Marner took a light crosscheck in the Ozone, dropped like he'd been shot, and spent the rest of the shift complaining to the ref. The whistle finally blew in the defensive zone, and Marner immediately tracked down the ref to keep complaining. The line went to the bench, and immediately Nylander was caught on camera saying, "quit crying bro" on the bench while looking in the direction of Marner and Matthews, likely aimed at Marner, who was probably still shouting at the ref from the bench. It makes no sense to believe anything otherwise.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That’s subjective to a pre existing notion cause I never felt that way about it at all

Absolutely I’m just talking in general. I’m just saying I felt seeing it some people might feel a way or turn it into something or question why he wasn’t playing.

Reactions: arso40

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
...Matthews, Marner, and Nylander were on the shift right before the bench argument. During that shift, Marner took a light crosscheck in the Ozone, dropped like he'd been shot, and spent the rest of the shift complaining to the ref. The whistle finally blew in the defensive zone, and Marner immediately tracked down the ref to keep complaining. The line went to the bench, and immediately Nylander was caught on camera saying, "quit crying bro" on the bench while looking in the direction of Marner and Matthews, likely aimed at Marner, who was probably still shouting at the ref from the bench. It makes no sense to believe anything otherwise.

The clip doesn’t start with Nylander’s quote and even in the Amazon doc they show the full thing. It starts with Matthews saying something in the direction of Marner and Nylander, then it cuts to Nylander saying “JUST shoot it, quit crying bro”

Marner once at the bench was not complaining to the refs. He was just sitting there with a clueless look on his face. There is not a single clip posted on social media, in the Amazon doc or YouTube that shows Marner yelling at the ref on the bench. The only thing shown is Matthews looking at Nylander and Marner and saying something. Then Nylander responding.

Reactions: arso40 and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Calling Nylander ouy makes no sense.

He was injured. If you believe he was faking an injury then Marner/Tavares should have called out Matthews who must have been faking his injury in game 4 Period 3 until Game 6 Period 3.

He came back in Game 4 and didnt play like he was afraid to get hit or nervoud from his migranes.

Nylander needs to play and avoid being injured but his play overall was good.

Marner, Tavares and Rielly had sloppy and uneven play laat year vs Boston.

Tavares and Rielly look to be on a decline.

Marner may have had a bad/down series. He still has potential to bounce back tavares not confident at all on and Rielly my faith is shrinking as well sadly.

The leafs will needs 34, 16, and 88 to be the best players in the series to have success.

We have had times where 88s been great and others poor (2021 and 2024), where marner had been great and others poor (2018) where matthews great and others poor (2019)

We need these guys all to play and produce in a playoff run. Otherwise this team is screwed.
He went off script on a set play which is why they called him out. All good, these things happen and it's good to see the players care.

I don't believe he was faking an injury.

The problem isn’t that they aren’t getting chances. The problem is that the PP is not fluid. You have Matthews who wants to be in a specific spot for his patented shot. We don’t have a net front presence, Marner holds on to the puck too long and we don’t utilize the bumper play that every team in the league uses. Quick pass down low, two defenders chase, bumper spot is wide open. It works like a charm, the first years with Babcock we used that play all the time with Kadri and Van Riemsdyk. Hell, Van Riemsdyk used it against us last night.

It’s not just Marner, the whole unit passes so damn slow and doesn’t move.
Sums it up.

Reactions: francis246

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah it was a pretty bad look.
Christ, Marner gets roasted for riding a Jet Ski in July.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Where is the interview by Nylander about the argument?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nylander has never been close to good enough in the post season. Maybe better than Matthews and Marner but overall if that’s the best he has they’re never winning.
Oh he's been more than "good enough". He's not responsible for the team winning or losing, all he can do is his part. He's played well above his cap hit for us, if we could say the same for M&M then we would have won a number of series that we lost.

Now that he's in a new salary bracket, expectations have changed and more is expected of him but this point, I don't see how anyone can possibly question Nylander's play, especially in the playoffs.

Of course that's what you think, thanks for your input.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Oh he's been more than "good enough". He's not responsible for the team winning or losing, all he can do is his part. He's played well above his cap hit for us, if we could say the same for M&M then we would have won a number of series that we lost.

Now that he's in a new salary bracket, expectations have changed and more is expected of him but this point, I don't see how anyone can possibly question Nylander's play, especially in the playoffs.

After crunching the #’s myself I can’t really shit on Nylander he’s consistent.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
proud to maintain a balance of caring about the Leafs where I spend a lot of time on HFboards but I am also unaware things like a Nylander watch party last playoffs

After crunching the #’s myself I can’t really shit on Nylander he’s consistent.
yeah he's an absolute killer, I love him ,and also the guys he yelled at on the bench during a meltdown game vs Boston, who he obviously also loves, and who also obviously love him back.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
proud to maintain a balance of caring about the Leafs where I spend a lot of time on HFboards but I am also unaware things like a Nylander watch party last playoffs

yeah he's an absolute killer, I love him ,and also the guys he yelled at on the bench during a meltdown game vs Boston, who he obviously also loves, and who also obviously love him back.
Funny how some posters jump to speculate about Nylander in a “watch party” but spin stories to paint Marner like a saint. “Marner was trying to split Nylander and Matthews up” or “Marner wasn’t passing, he was just flipping it out of the zone.”

Was it even a watch party, or does he just have roommates? Nylander’s 27 and unmarried. Do injured players with wives and kids, when their teams are on the road, lock themselves away from their families? Was he on meds at home? Is it more tolerable with less light and noise? Not having to deal with the demands of a fast-paced, physical sport?

I'm not blindly defending Nylanderthere are areas I wish he’d improve, and I’ve said that. But the fact that certain posters nitpick Nylander, while fabricating elaborate excuses to keep Marner blameless, shows just how biased they are toward Marner.

Reactions: thewave and arso40

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I question his performance after watching him play. He’s been better, but he’s still not good enough. There are times when he should be sacrificing his body, but he does not do that. It appears to me that it’s not that important to him.

• Haha

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I question his performance after watching him play. He’s been better, but he’s still not good enough. There are times when he should be sacrificing his body, but he does not do that. It appears to me that it’s not that important to him.
If you question his play in the playoffs then I question your judgement.

Who cares about "sacrificing his body"? Why would you want any of our players to sacrifice their bodies? Nylander uses his body, his strength to drive to the net and score goals which helps us win games.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Funny how some posters jump to speculate about Nylander in a “watch party” but spin stories to paint Marner like a saint. “Marner was trying to split Nylander and Matthews up” or “Marner wasn’t passing, he was just flipping it out of the zone.”

Was it even a watch party, or does he just have roommates? Nylander’s 27 and unmarried. Do injured players with wives and kids, when their teams are on the road, lock themselves away from their families? Was he on meds at home? Is it more tolerable with less light and noise? Not having to deal with the demands of a fast-paced, physical sport?

I'm not blindly defending Nylanderthere are areas I wish he’d improve, and I’ve said that. But the fact that certain posters nitpick Nylander, while fabricating elaborate excuses to keep Marner blameless, shows just how biased they are toward Marner.
man that is funny

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If you question his play in the playoffs then I question your judgement.

Who cares about "sacrificing his body"? Why would you want any of our players to sacrifice their bodies? Nylander uses his body, his strength to drive to the net and score goals which helps us win games.
If winning is the goal there are times throughout the playoffs when you must sacrifice your body. He ( they) haven’t shown they’re willing to do that. If the leaders won’t , then the rest won’t either.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Cheryl after the 2nd period highlighted a sequence where she criticized Marner for just roaming on the ice, and not taking any assignment.
Will Marner group try to get Cheryl fired from TSN for doing that?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Cheryl after the 2nd period highlighted a sequence where she criticized Marner for just roaming on the ice, and not taking any assignment.
Media personalities aren't there to be right. Media personalities are there to drive engagement. You're talking about it, so she did her job.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Are you saying she didn’t analyze that play properly?
I don't know. I tend not to watch the intermission drivel, and don't know what she's referring to. She could be right. Marner had some bad moments last night, just like everybody else on the team. But we all know why she focused on Marner.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Since people over in the nylander thread think I'm a marner fanboy let me just say that Marner is playing horrific for a 11M right now as well

Matthewd horrific for a 13.25M player

if marner has only ppg season some how he would need to win the conn smythe to be worth bringing back next year.

Right now 34, 16, and 88, are competing to see who can disapoint the most.

Tavares has passed that group and is a perpetual disapointment

Praying for a dominant stretch of games for these 3 the enxt 4-5 games to get us to a good record and to see them play and produce like they have in the past and are expected to.

Marners style of hockey is infuriating when not working. Too perimeter, too focused on playing near the point and forcing passes. He needs to work this out and become more dynamic and diverse offensive threat for him to succeed in the playoffs.

I need 100 pts from 16 and 88

And 110 from 34

For them to be worth close to their deals

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
This has always been my criticism of Marner, he just moves around in open ice, lifting an opponents stick is as close as he wants to get to a dirty area of the ice. I'm sure this is exactly what Berube was getting at: the difference between competing hard and working hard. Marner works hard, but his compete level is almost nonexistent.

Watch the Bruins series and he looks like he's in a shinny game.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This has always been my criticism of Marner, he just moves around in open ice, lifting an opponents stick is as close as he wants to get to a dirty area of the ice. I'm sure this is exactly what Berube was getting at: the difference between competing hard and working hard. Marner works hard, but his compete level is almost nonexistent.

Watch the Bruins series and he looks like he's in a shinny game.
Honestly, you could call it working hard without a purpose.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad