Player Discussion Marner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Reactions: arso40

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I’d think the last 3 years would be a more up to date comparison even though Mitch may have still been injured last year.
Marner 22 games 25 points 1.13 P/gp
William 22 games 20 points .90 P/gp

lol love the- "Marner may have been injured"...but ignore that we know Nylander was ill. Not hiding your bias at all.

Now post:

- linemates, considering research indicated linemates play an inportant factor for players productions
- post videos and let's discuss the play driver for the goal.
- post what game in series and game score at times of point

Last edited:
Reactions: thewave

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I’d think the last 3 years would be a more up to date comparison even though Mitch may have still been injured last year.
Anyone that watches these games knows Mitch was awful, couldn’t care less about his inflated points

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Marner pointless in 3/5 games this year. Only recorded 1 shot in 3/5.

Good thing he had a great offseason. He must be still recovering from his high ankle sprain.

Can count on you to stir shit up immediately in this thread. I honestly don’t wanna see you complain about anyone else in this thread. You instigate as much if not more than anyone else. Then cry wolf whenever someone says something.

lol love the- "Marner may have been injured"...but ignore that we know Nylander was ill. Not hiding your bias at all.

Now post:

- linemates, considering research indicated linemates play an inportant factor for players productions

Honestly Nylander discredited himself in the Amazon series. Claiming you have migraines but then hosting a watch party when you could have been playing is crazy and was not a good look.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Now post:

You keep bringing this up and I asked you last time.

How bad are Point, Rantanen, and Draisaitl?

They benefit more than Marner right? Assuming Marner is better than all 3 then, right?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Ok, 3 years - certainly more relevant than 8 or 9. (Slight correction to your post - Marner played 25 games.)

Regular - playoffs - drop:

Marner 1.27 - 1.00 drop 0.27
Nylander 1.08 - 0.91 drop 0.17

Marner still has more of a drop in the playoffs

Last 2 years:

Marner 1.23 - 0.94 drop 0.29
Nylander 1.13 - 0.87 drop 0.26

Last year:

Marner 1.23 - 0.43 drop 0.80
Nylander 1.20 - 0.75 drop 0.45

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Can count on you to stir shit up immediately in this thread. I honestly don’t wanna see you complain about anyone else in this thread. You instigate as much if not more than anyone else. Then cry wolf whenever someone says something.

Honestly Nylander discredited himself in the Amazon series. Claiming you have migraines but then hosting a watch party when you could have been playing is crazy and was not a good look.
I agree, I thought it was weird that he was watching it on TV at home with friends. Were those his roommates? He looks like he lives like a college student. Are you implying you think he was faking his illness? I don't know what players typically do when they are sick and not playing. Do they locl their family out and sit in their rooms in the dark?

I never said Nylander wasn't without flaws and Nylander isn't my favorite player either. However, he's more than lived up to his contract...I judged his play based on his 7 million contract and am judging him this year on his new contract. I judge Marner the same way.

I've said this many times, why do we keep comparing Marners last few years to Nylanders? Marner made 55% more than Nylander the past 5 years.

Marner is on year 6 of not living up to his contract. Nylander has exceeded his.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree, I thought it was weird that he was watching it on TV at home with friends. Were those his roommates? He looks like he lives like a college student. Are you implying you think he was faking his illness? I don't know what players typically do when they are sick and not playing. Do they locl their family out and sit in their rooms in the dark?

I never said Nylander wasn't without flaws and Nylander isn't my favorite player either. However, he's more than lived up to his contract...I judged his play based on his 7 million contract and am judging him this year on his new contract. I judge Marner the same way.

I've said this many times, why do we keep comparing Marners last few years to Nylanders? Marner made 55% more than Nylander the past 5 years.

Marner is on year 6 of not living up to his contract. Nylander has exceeded his.

I won’t say that he was faking. I don’t think he was faking. I’m assuming he was in the last day of a protocol they probably set out. But I think it’s just the optics. He said it was his choice to sit out because he felt like he’d be of no use but then decided to watch with lights and drinks. Optically that just doesn’t look good to the fans. It could 100% be his roommates. He lives with Alex now. It kind of looked like Alex was there and a few other Swedes who weren’t in the playoffs.

Reactions: Antropovsky

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I won’t say that he was faking. I don’t think he was faking. I’m assuming he was in the last day of a protocol they probably set out. But I think it’s just the optics. He said it was his choice to sit out because he felt like he’d be of no use but then decided to watch with lights and drinks. Optically that just doesn’t look good to the fans. It could 100% be his roommates. He lives with Alex now. It kind of looked like Alex was there and a few other Swedes who weren’t in the playoffs.

Those videos of him practicing are even more damning.

He wasn't wearing a red no contact jersey. Reports didn't say he was excluded from engaging in the full practice either. Not to mention flying if there was even a suspicion of a concussion or lingering effects from one.

If he was healthy enough to party and carry on with his friends then he was healthy enough to at least show up and sit in the press box to show his support for the team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ok, 3 years - certainly more relevant than 8 or 9. (Slight correction to your post - Marner played 25 games.)

Regular - playoffs - drop:

Marner 1.27 - 1.00 drop 0.27
Nylander 1.08 - 0.91 drop 0.17

Marner still has more of a drop in the playoffs

Last 2 years:

Marner 1.23 - 0.94 drop 0.29
Nylander 1.13 - 0.87 drop 0.26

Last year:

Marner 1.23 - 0.43 drop 0.80
Nylander 1.20 - 0.75 drop 0.45

If you do games 5 6 7 drop in the PO. You will start a stampede. Its ugly for Marner. When you need him most. He isnt there.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

You can feel rough with them and have problems doing certain tasks and others are ok. For instance you can start to get your heart pumping and then vomit. But casually watch tv with a buzzing headache.

Not a fan of that either but if he was throwing up under load... What good is that?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Several times vs the Rangers, Marner gets pinned along the wall, stripped of the puck very easily. These types of plays happen constantly in the playoffs, separate man from puck physically.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
This guy represents everything that is the "country club" atmosphere. Talented enough to put up points but he's no better today as a hockey player then he was during his ELC. Has never worked on his game to improve his weaknesses since his rookie season. Below average shot, below average skating (straight line speed) in a small frame that shy's away from contact. A team serious about competing does not give this guy his current contract let alone a raise.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Several times vs the Rangers, Marner gets pinned along the wall, stripped of the puck very easily. These types of plays happen constantly in the playoffs, separate man from puck physically.

They played Marner exactly how they expect they would have to in the POs.

This guy represents everything that is the "country club" atmosphere. Talented enough to put up points but he's no better today as a hockey player then he was during his ELC. Has never worked on his game to improve his weaknesses since his rookie season. Below average shot, below average skating (straight line speed) in a small frame that shy's away from contact. A team serious about competing does not give this guy his current contract let alone a raise.

100%

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
They played Marner exactly how they expect they would have to in the POs.

100%
he wont get a penny more than pannarin .you couldnt get them straight up right now in a trade.that was a playoff style game same results .knies is the guy u dont want offersheeted .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad