Player Discussion Marner

Jun 27, 2005
How would you know? You literally disappeared from posting in the playoffs and only reappeared after when it was all said and done. You participated in none of the GDT's or posted about any of the players during the playoffs.

Your defense of Marner was an absolute minimum during the playoffs, only after the playoffs you fired up your PR campaign again.
We're talking about haters whining for years. I've followed what the haters have said. What my posting on GDT threads has to with you guys whining I have no clue. During golf season I'm golfing 5 times a week. I don't have the time or the interest in posting ALL DAY LONG about your whining.

Why do you people NEVER and I mean NEVER ever respond the the actual stats that I post? Once again, the haters become very predictable.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We're talking about haters whining for years. I've followed what the haters have said. What my posting on GDT threads has to with you guys whining I have no clue. During golf season I'm golfing 5 times a week. I don't have the time or the interest in posting ALL DAY LONG about your whining.

Why do you people NEVER and I mean NEVER ever respond the the actual stats that I post? Once again, the haters become very predictable.

Never seen a single Marner hater here. Must be like a BigFoot. Everyone loves Marner except they don't like the money he makes and playoff performances.

Oh well

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Never seen a single Marner hater here. Must be like a BigFoot. Everyone loves Marner except they don't like the money he makes and playoff performances.

Oh well
You can compare Marner to Gretzky, but if you think hes vastly overpaid for his playoff games, you're a hater or a troll.

Read the news, listen to former players, two uears in a row this board voted very unanimously that he would be traded..which one is closer to the truth?

Reactions: thewave

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

I literally work a full time job and still post here as much as I do. What are you golfing for 12 hours a day? None of your bullshit adds up.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
You can compare Marner to Gretzky, but if you think hes vastly overpaid for his playoff games, you're a hater or a troll.

Read the news, listen to former players, two uears in a row this board voted very unanimously that he would be traded..which one is closer to the truth?

2 yeat ago it was Nylander voted unanimously to be traded, now its marner and maybe in 2 year it will be Matthews. Welcome in Toronto!!!

Marner look like by some like the worst superstar in the league, get one great playoff and you're becoming the best player in team history. Its how its working in cities like Toronto or Montreal ( # Carey Price)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I bet you ignore the defensive stats again. - check
yet again you just ignored the facts - check
But I know you're just going to ignore the things that make your dissonance uncomfortable again like all the other times. -check
You are very predictable. -check
This is getting boring. I repeat:

You ignored my questions, yet you keep expecting me to answer yours while also putting up with your insults. Why can't you discuss things without making personal insults? How is fair that you keep peppering me with insults and asking me questions when you refuse to answer my questions?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Not even sure what you're asking.

If I signed a contract with a company for 8 years. And before my new contract even starts they say, hey, will you be okay with us trading you to so and so?

It would make sense to be pissed and say absolutely not.

However, if I signed a 6 year contract and my employer approached me in my 6th year and said, hey, will you ne okay with us trading you to so and so?

I would be considerably less angry. Especially considering it's clear that I'm no longer in their long term plans after 5 years and in a year I'll need a new home anyways. However, Marner might be shooting himself in the foot because a 8 year contract might be in his favor, rather than a short term one or the max 7 he can get as ufa.

Whereas if it was less than a year in an 8 year contract, I'd be angry that they've changed their minds so quickly.

If the team wants to trade you, why would they be concerned about your emotions? Emotions? What do emotions have to do with it?

If you are a born and raised GTA kid, played your Jr career 3 hours away from GTA, have your house, wife, parents and summer home in the GTA area are you any less offended if you are asked to waive your 1 year NMC, than a guy who summers in Sweden has zero connection to Toronto outside of 7 months a year?

If a company signs me to a 8 year contract and wants to sell my contract to a competitor as long as the new prospective employer's city has the environment that I want, I'd be happy to waive. If my Current employer says hey we sold your contract to a company in Pitts, Columbus, Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa.. I'd say not a f-ing chance... if they say hey we sold your contract and you have to move to Vancouver, Dallas, Miami, Carolina I'd say sign me up...

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If the team wants to trade you, why would they be concerned about your emotions? Emotions? What do emotions have to do with it?

If you are a born and raised GTA kid, played your Jr career 3 hours away from GTA, have your house, wife, parents and summer home in the GTA area are you any less offended if you are asked to waive your 1 year NMC, than a guy who summers in Sweden has zero connection to Toronto outside of 7 months a year?

If a company signs me to a 8 year contract and wants to sell my contract to a competitor as long as the new prospective employer's city has the environment that I want, I'd be happy to waive. If my Current employer says hey we sold your contract to a company in Pitts, Columbus, Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa.. I'd say not a f-ing chance... if they say hey we sold your contract and you have to move to Vancouver, Dallas, Miami, Carolina I'd say sign me up...
Maybe the appeal is the attention? Feeling like a god?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Why do they never respond...? Because they would have to admit they are wrong... some people simply can't admit that their flawed flimsy premise can 1) ever be questioned and 2) easily proven incorrect. Which you did very succinctly and from what I can it was not difficult for you to do so. Anyway at any rate the Low Information Crowd sees no value on data and facts.

Maybe the appeal is the attention? Feeling like a god?

Why would the ego be any less hurt with a 1 year NMC vs a 8 year NMC? Ego is ego.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Why do they never respond...? Because they would have to admit they are wrong... some people simply can't admit that their flawed flimsy premise can 1) ever be questioned and 2) easily proven incorrect. Which you did very succinctly and from what I can it was not difficult for you to do so. Anyway at any rate the Low Information Crowd sees no value on data and facts.

Why would the ego be any less hurt with a 1 year NMC vs a 8 year NMC? Ego is ego.
It's not about ego, it's about time. An 8-year NMC vs. 1 year is a huge difference.

I said they needed to move him last year before his nmc kicked in or they'd be stuck with him.

Why would Marner agree to a trade? It makes more sense for Marner not to:

1) The Leafs’ roster is very talented, and he knows he can produce, especially playing with Matthews, a top-3 NHL player. It’s his best chance to maximize his value going into the offseason.

2) As a UFA, he’s likely to get the most money compared to signing with a team he’s traded to.

3) He has the opportunity to rebuild his reputation, and maybe he doesn't even get moved from the Leafs.

4) The risk of losing Marner for nothing might force the Leafs hand to sign him, even if they would rather not.

There is some risks involved for him but the risks dont outweigh the benefits.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
2 yeat ago it was Nylander voted unanimously to be traded, now its marner and maybe in 2 year it will be Matthews. Welcome in Toronto!!!
LOL. What is this nonsense?
Marner look like by some like the worst superstar in the league, get one great playoff and you're becoming the best player in team history. Its how its working in cities like Toronto or Montreal ( # Carey Price)
LOL. What is this nonsense?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Not true.
not unanimous?

2023 2024 polls
1729299242608.jpeg

1729298885293.jpeg

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It's not about ego, it's about time. An 8-year NMC vs. 1 year is a huge difference.

I said they needed to move him last year before his nmc kicked in or they'd be stuck with him.

Why would Marner agree to a trade? It makes more sense for Marner not to:

1) The Leafs’ roster is very talented, and he knows he can produce, especially playing with Matthews, a top-3 NHL player. It’s his best chance to maximize his value going into the offseason.

2) As a UFA, he’s likely to get the most money compared to signing with a team he’s traded to.

3) He has the opportunity to rebuild his reputation, and maybe he doesn't even get moved from the Leafs.

4) The risk of losing Marner for nothing might force the Leafs hand to sign him, even if they would rather not.

There is some risks involved for him but the risks dont outweigh the benefits.
Right about most stuff but Matthews isnt 3rd best NHL player

5th or 6th with 7th and 8th guys not that far off (Panarin - playoff choking hurts him big time here, and Pasta)

1 to 4 are McD, Mack, Kuch, Drai, guys who are elite in both reg season and playoffs

Makar if he was as consistent defensively as he was early in would be clear cut #5 but hes fallen defensively so Matthews can maybe be argued ahead of him, that and forwards are usually more valuable then D-man

But marner does benefit more from playing with Matthews (top 5 or 6 player) then other way around ( Marner being 20z
-25th)

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Right about most stuff but Matthews isnt 3rd best NHL player

5th or 6th with 7th and 8th guys not that far off (Panarin - playoff choking hurts him big time here, and Pasta)

1 to 4 are McD, Mack, Kuch, Drai, guys who are elite in both reg season and playoffs

Makar if he was as consistent defensively as he was early in would be clear cut #5 but hes fallen defensively so Matthews can maybe be argued ahead of him, that and forwards are usually more valuable then D-man

But marner does benefit more from playing with Matthews (top 5 or 6 player) then other way around ( Marner being 20z
-25th)
According to his peers he is. He won Ted Lindsay two seasons ago, and last season had more votes for Ted Lindsay over McDavid.

The Ted Lindsay Award, formerly known as the Lester B. Pearson Award, is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's most outstanding player in the regular season as judged by the members of the NHL Players' Association.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
According to his peers he is. He won Ted Lindsay two seasons ago, and last season was picked for Ted Lindsay over McDavid.

The Ted Lindsay Award, formerly known as the Lester B. Pearson Award, is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's most outstanding player in the regular season as judged by the members of the NHL Players' Association.
That was a mistake by the players where they got it wrong (his lindsay nomination)

Its hard to take him over the 4 guys mentioned.

You cant blame marner for his playoff failures and excuse Matthews whose been horrific there too

Marner cant compete with Rantanen or M. Tkachuk or Pasta due to playoffs seperating them heavily at this point, same logic would apply for Matthews vs the top 4 guys on that list mentioned.

He will have to also keep up that level of play as a guy like Panarin who was behind him a bit look very dominant so far early in the year

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
That was a mistake by the players where they got it wrong (his lindsay nomination)

Its hard to take him over the 4 guys mentioned.

You cant blame marner for his playoff failures and excuse Matthews whose been horrific there too

Marner cant compete with Rantanen or M. Tkachuk or Pasta due to playoffs seperating them heavily at this point, same logic would apply for Matthews vs the top 4 guys on that list mentioned.

He will have to also keep up that level of play as a guy like Panarin who was behind him a bit look very dominant so far early in the year
Last playoffs looked different for both of them Marner looked worst than normal and Matthews looked better than Normal which should say something

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I misread your post, my apologies. I still think you're making it sound more unlikely than it is that Ranta would want to play here. If he becomes UFA, I see no reason why we wouldn't be one of his top choices.

Comparing the chances of him signing here against the chances of him signing with one of the other 31 teams is just weird, not sure why you'd do that.

For sure and I've said it before - if you need someone to put up 4 points in a game you win 7-3, Marner's right up there with the best of them. Once teams settle into playoff hockey though, the checking gets tighter and you have less time and space to operate, Marner becomes quite average.

Nice chart though, I'm sure it's good for something. :)
I think it's just the difference between cumulative and average.

If he doesn't re-sign, there are 31 other teams, so the average likelihood of him signing with any team is about 3%, with the odds for any particular team are maybe between 1% and 6%. If the odds of him signing here are 4%, then:

- 4% sign here, 96% elsewhere.

- 4% sign here, average 3% with another team, odds of any particular team between 1% and 6%.

So yes, odds of him signing here are less than him signing with a random one of the other 30 teams.

Also yes, odds of him signing here are probably not less than some specific other team.

And yes percentages all drawn out if my, um, er, hat.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Do you have a link? I've just been through almost 400 threads with his name in the topic, and couldn't find anything like that.

It was fun though - a lot of weird takes and some absolutely horrible trade suggestions, including Nylander even up for Patches.
I don't think anyone genuinely believes he could become "the best player in team history".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad