Player Discussion Marner

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
recall that Bruce Broudreau in the offseason said that the leafs under Keefe immediately jump to offense when a play breaks up in their zone. He said this worked in the season but it hurt them in the playoffs because its not a disciplined style. You can see how certain Leafs under Keefe would blow by their defensive coverage and then swing back...seemingly looking to jump to offense. Going to be interesting to see if Berube changes it. Heres an example of Marner doing it in the season.

Im already seeing a style under Berube that should be more effective in the playoffs.

Marner already reaching to stick check, while his body is moving out of the zone
1728849986033.jpeg

play is broken and Leafs recover, Marner looks back to see if Leafs gain control
1728850011543.jpeg

Marner keeps skating and receives breakaway pass for hat trick
1728850029727.jpeg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would let Domi centre for Nylander and drop Tavares to 3c.
That also drops no offence holmberg to 4c and kampf may be out.
My first choice is to play Domi with Matthews again and put Marner with JT. But your suggestion is probably the next best thing, anything but playing JT and Nylander together. Hard to understand why Berube is doing that but whatever, hopefully he'll figure things out eventually.

But seriously, considering how Matthews didn't miss a beat playing with Domi in Marner's place, it seems like a no brainer to keep that going.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
My first choice is to play Domi with Matthews again and put Marner with JT. But your suggestion is probably the next best thing, anything but playing JT and Nylander together. Hard to understand why Berube is doing that but whatever, hopefully he'll figure things out eventually.

But seriously, considering how Matthews didn't miss a beat playing with Domi in Marner's place, it seems like a no brainer to keep that going.
Nah. Matthews and Nylander together is kind of a waste. Even tho it's better than Marner and Matthews, Nylander is better suited to being the alpha on his own line.

Honestly the best might be this.

McMann Matthews Roberson

Knies Domi Nylander

Pacioretty JT Marner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nah. Matthews and Nylander together is kind of a waste. Even tho it's better than Marner and Matthews, Nylander is better suited to being the alpha on his own line.

Honestly the best might be this.

McMann Matthews Roberson

Knies Domi Nylander

Pacioretty JT Marner
I agree completely and I didn't suggest playing those two together.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I'm rewatching the game right now and I didn't realize how well he played last night. He was flying iut there.
I was lucky enough to be there live and Marner and Matthews were the most noticeable forwards on the ice all night. Well after the first period lol a lot of honorable mentions too but those two were fantastic last night. Too bad Matthews couldn't have potted a couple.

blue stick

Jan 28, 2019
I was lucky enough to be there live and Marner and Matthews were the most noticeable forwards on the ice all night. Well after the first period lol a lot of honorable mentions too but those two were fantastic last night. Too bad Matthews couldn't have potted a couple.
images.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad