Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
One of the best in the league and on the team in the regular season and playoffs.

You say that like round is relevant at all to production. It's not, and it's a deflection away from the fact that the situations we've experienced in the playoffs have been way less conducive to production than what any other team has experienced over that time. There are only a grand total of 12 players in the Matthews era that are above PPG in the playoffs for the record, and they didn't start at age 19. There are even fewer with the GP of our stars, and it's oh so coincidently populated by players on the same couple teams that experienced easier situations to produce.

Everybody here. Most just want him gone as an emotional release and don't have any actual plan, but even the rare proposals that get floated are either wildly unrealistic or complete team-destroying trash. The chance of replacing his impacts within that cap space (especially from Treliving, who has shown zero competency in that regard) is incredibly low. We have cap space, and don't need to move him in order to improve defense and depth.

2020-2023.

No, we did it and ended up not winning the cup, but we didn't suck at all. We were one of the best teams in the league.

He was not overpaid off of his ELC, and unless Treliving really screws up and continues his horrible handling of star players, he shouldn't be overpaid this time either. At the very least, we're much less likely to overpay Marner than whoever Treliving would use that cap space on.

And they don't require trading Marner.
Barely a top 10 producer in the regular season and not even a top 25 producer in the playoffs during those contracts.

Well, Games 1-3/4 in the 1st round is much easier to get points in when both teams are running around reckless and not really playing with any structure. Made it to round 2 once and embarrassed themselves. I'd hate to see how bad they'd do making it further and banged up a bit. Oh so that's the excuse we're gonna use now. These other players over a PPG in the playoffs had easy routes. Edmonton trio has gone up against many top 10 defences in the league during the regular season for their playoff runs and still produce well over a PPG and some of those runs Edmonton was terrible. These guys did nothing on their post ELC contracts and we're really gonna blame having to play Tampa Bay every year? Another excuse was Carey Price. Is Korpisalo to blame as well for that 1 year? Even when the route to the cup or even further advancement in the playoffs was easy for us it wasn't. So lets stop with that excuse about having an easier route.

Trades that happen in the real world aren't the ones you see on a video game. You aren't gonna get everything you want and what you get you probably aren't gonna be happy with most likely, especially when it involves a star player. Erik Karlsson was a 2 time Norris Trophy winner and was 28 years old and was traded for a defensive d man, 2 bottom 6 players, one of their top prospects in Norris and they lucked out with Covid and cutting the season short and going by points percentage so Ottawa got Stutzle with their 1st round pick. If we could get a top pair d man or a legit 2nd line C in a trade package for Marner then we are a better team in the long run.

3 years with good defence and depth and we still failed. Is that really the standard we accept around here now?

We never beat Tampa despite you saying we were one of the best teams in the league all those years. Sounds like failure to me. The 1 year we did beat them we either got rid of those old depth players and defence or just replaced them and pushed them to the press box.

He was overpaid off his ELC. He had 1 season where he got more than 70 points and that 1 contract year earned him 11 million dollars out of his ELC? And on top of that it wasn't even an 8 year deal. Pasta literally just signed his new deal last year and just got .20 percent more of the cap hit that Marner got back then and you're gonna tell me he wasn't overpaid out of his ELC? Really?

Easiest way is to trade Marner

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Took some time for Montour, Forsling and a lot of defensemen to figure it out

I worry we haven't seen the best of Lilly yet and we've invested a lot of time and resources in his development. We developed guys like Marchment to see him go right before he figured it out
It's not a bad idea to see Lilly with a new coach and see how he does.

I like hearing that.

CJ is pretty connected and says “I’m sure” those are the ones they want the most.
Tavev and Roy are the 2 guys I want too

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Barely a top 10 producer in the regular season and not even a top 25 producer in the playoffs during those contracts.

Well, Games 1-3/4 in the 1st round is much easier to get points in when both teams are running around reckless and not really playing with any structure. Made it to round 2 once and embarrassed themselves. I'd hate to see how bad they'd do making it further and banged up a bit. Oh so that's the excuse we're gonna use now. These other players over a PPG in the playoffs had easy routes. Edmonton trio has gone up against many top 10 defences in the league during the regular season for their playoff runs and still produce well over a PPG and some of those runs Edmonton was terrible. These guys did nothing on their post ELC contracts and we're really gonna blame having to play Tampa Bay every year? Another excuse was Carey Price. Is Korpisalo to blame as well for that 1 year? Even when the route to the cup or even further advancement in the playoffs was easy for us it wasn't. So lets stop with that excuse about having an easier route.

Trades that happen in the real world aren't the ones you see on a video game. You aren't gonna get everything you want and what you get you probably aren't gonna be happy with most likely, especially when it involves a star player. Erik Karlsson was a 2 time Norris Trophy winner and was 28 years old and was traded for a defensive d man, 2 bottom 6 players, one of their top prospects in Norris and they lucked out with Covid and cutting the season short and going by points percentage so Ottawa got Stutzle with their 1st round pick. If we could get a top pair d man or a legit 2nd line C in a trade package for Marner then we are a better team in the long run.

3 years with good defence and depth and we still failed. Is that really the standard we accept around here now?

We never beat Tampa despite you saying we were one of the best teams in the league all those years. Sounds like failure to me. The 1 year we did beat them we either got rid of those old depth players and defence or just replaced them and pushed them to the press box.

He was overpaid off his ELC. He had 1 season where he got more than 70 points and that 1 contract year earned him 11 million dollars out of his ELC? And on top of that it wasn't even an 8 year deal. Pasta literally just signed his new deal last year and just got .20 percent more of the cap hit that Marner got back then and you're gonna tell me he wasn't overpaid out of his ELC? Really?

Easiest way is to trade Marner

how many team did you saw had succes offensively in playoff without having any D involve in the offensive end except trailing late in modern hockey? If you're playing at 3v5 all game and defend at 5v5, should you be surprising you struggling to produce?

Reactions: TMLife17

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Marner ( sign & trade 7 yrs x 12 million ) & the 23rd overall pick in the 2024 NHL draft to Buffalo for Byram & Greenway

Leafs sign Skinner after he is bought out by Buffalo

Leafs sign Montour & Stamkos as UFA's

Skinner Matthews Nylander
Robertson Stamkos Cowan
Knies Tavares McMann
Greenway Holmberg Reaves

Reilly Montour
McCabe Byram
Benoit Liljegren
Webber

Woll Hildeby

1st PP : Matthews, Nylander, Samkos, Skinner & Montour

2nd PP : Tavares, Cowan, Robertson, Knies & Reilly

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Jesus, this place loves nothing more than the big bright shiny name doesn't it?

Joshua?, he's the sort of mediocre player who has one or two decent seasons and gets wildly overpaid for his actual talent level because of all the intangibles he brings

You think Kampf is overpaid? Wait until we give Joshua over 4M a year with some term chucked in

Skinner? I've had enough of these mercenary old retreads, I'd rather play Cowan or Grebyonkin and at least have some upside to look forward to
I get ya about the mercenary angle, but guy prolly won’t cost a ton still getting 25mil from the Sabres over the next six, has to have all kinds of motivation, and still has the wheels - which don’t exist in abundance on this team.
Plus, chance for a pretty cool story.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Wrong forum ?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd make the trade. f*** Marner.
As Mirtle and Bunkis discussed today, if you are going to let him walk, you might as well get the best you can for him. My concern is nobody wants to pay what he is worth which is not close to what he wants.

Tre needs to find a GM hot for Marner or he's playing out the year and walking for nothing.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
how many team did you saw had succes offensively in playoff without having any D involve in the offensive end except trailing late in modern hockey? If you're playing at 3v5 all game and defend at 5v5, should you be surprising you struggling to produce?
Rielly been out for all these years? News to me. Had Muzzin for a few runs. Sandin was said to be a good puck mover. Liljegren. Remember Holl? Was told he was a good puck mover as well and brought offence to that Muzzin-Holl pair. Had Barrie. Keefe was supposed to be the coach to get the defence to help offensively with his system and constantly moving around in the offensive zone. Most teams usually only have 1 dman who puts up more points and then the others are usually on the pace ours put up, only difference is they play more than 7 games. So we have many d man put up like 3 points in 7 games and cup winners will have their 2nd/3rd dmen put up like 10 points in like 24 games. Colorado might be the only one I can remember in the last while that had 2 over 15 points.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
As Mirtle and Bunkis discussed today, if you are going to let him walk, you might as well get the best you can for him. My concern is nobody wants to pay what he is worth which is not close to what he wants.

Tre needs to find a GM hot for Marner or he's playing out the year and walking for nothing.
Yup. We're clearly not winning the cup this year so give me some assets. Pretty tough look for Marner if he gets traded for some trash though lol! Might be willing to pay millions of dollars off his next deal to avoid the embarrassment.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Marner ( sign & trade 7 yrs x 12 million ) & the 23rd overall pick in the 2024 NHL draft to Buffalo for Byram & Greenway

Leafs sign Skinner after he is bought out by Buffalo

Leafs sign Montour & Stamkos as UFA's

Skinner Matthews Nylander
Robertson Stamkos Cowan
Knies Tavares McMann
Greenway Holmberg Reaves

Reilly Montour
McCabe Byram
Benoit Liljegren
Webber

Woll Hildeby

1st PP : Matthews, Nylander, Samkos, Skinner & Montour

2nd PP : Tavares, Cowan, Robertson, Knies & Reilly
Of course trading Kampf & Jarncrock another 4.5 million saved, Skinner @ 4.5 million x 2 years. After the 6 million in raises to Matthews & Nylander

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024

Of course trading Kampf & Jarncrock another 4.5 million saved, Skinner @ 4.5 million x 2 years. After the 6 million in raises to Matthews & Nylander , Marner & Skinner acquisition Leafs would have approx. 17 million to sign Stamkos & Montour could outbid any opposition both on dollars & term. 7 million per season for both players & 7 yr contracts

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yup. We're clearly not winning the cup this year so give me some assets. Pretty tough look for Marner if he gets traded for some trash though lol! Might be willing to pay millions of dollars off his next deal to avoid the embarrassment.
They also said take the loss but make sure you do not get embarrassed (you know like they did for Kadri).

Yeah, that would be so Leafy. Let's pay him $12+m to avoid being embarrassed in a trade. Being embarrassed in the playoffs is OK though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad