Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Just f***ing trade him already.

What's taking so long. Do they really think the Oilers or Panthers are gonna take him. The Oilers already have RNH.

RNH and Marner look so similar they could be dopplegangers.

They aren't gonna want another face like that. And they aren't gonna want Marner's holier-than-though attitude either. I could only imagine the reaction in Edmonton the first time Marner says it's the rest of the teams fault they lost and he wasn't gonna change anything about the way he plays.

Then tells everyone he doesn't care what any of them think.

He's Mitch "hockey god" Marner. The opinions of the unwashed heathen who worship him don't matter. Marner's above reproach because in his mind it's everyone else's fault but his.

Trading Marner and his "I'M better than YOU" attitude is the necessary first step in changing the culture of this team.
Patience. It most likely will not happen before July 1st when he collects another $7+m bonus. Here's hoping he chokes on every dollar.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Patience. It most likely will not happen before July 1st when he collects another $7+m bonus. Here's hoping he chokes on every dollar.
I'm incredibly impatient haha. I even want to ask what time on July 1st is the bonus paid?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Just f***ing trade him already.

What's taking so long. Do they really think the Oilers or Panthers are gonna take him. The Oilers already have RNH.

RNH and Marner look so similar they could be dopplegangers.

They aren't gonna want another face like that. And they aren't gonna want Marner's holier-than-though attitude either. I could only imagine the reaction in Edmonton the first time Marner says it's the rest of the teams fault they lost and he wasn't gonna change anything about the way he plays.

Then tells everyone he doesn't care what any of them think.

He's Mitch "hockey god" Marner. The opinions of the unwashed heathen who worship him don't matter. Marner's above reproach because in his mind it's everyone else's fault but his.

Trading Marner and his "I'M better than YOU" attitude is the necessary first step in changing the culture of this team.

LOL for all the insight you pour on this website it’s crazy to me that you don’t understand the nuances of Marner’s contract.

1. He cannot sign a contract extension prior to July 1st.

2. He has a fcking NMC, Marner is gonna move when Marner is ready to move.

3. He has a huge bonus due on July 1st, no team is taking on his contract before that is paid by the leafs. Whoever gets him is looking forward to paying him less than $1,000,000 in real money for one season.

4. He carries a 10.9 cap hit, that deal is gonna take weeks or even months to sort out. It’s not NHL 24.

5. There’s a possibility the organization wants to keep him or maybe Berube wants to keep him.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As expected Darren Dredger was on Overddrive advocating for Mitch to get a "monster contract". Guy is such a shill, as a leaf fan, why would you want that after a near decade of futility? Seriously

O'dog was having none of it
Why do you think Dreger has any say in what kind of contract he’ll get?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
5. There’s a possibility the organization wants to keep Marner or maybe Berube wants to keep him.

IMG_8556.gif

Not really

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
management should ask marner to make a list of teams he'd like to be traded to

need to handle it very delicately though marner is senstive about list making

I actually disagree, if you want to move him you can’t make it seem like he’s in control even though he is.

You do the leg work on two deals. And present him with three options.

Team A and here’s why they want you, Team B and here’s why they want you, option C, you’re leaving Toronto at the end of the year there’s no extension waiting for you

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I actually disagree, if you want to move him you can’t make it seem like he’s in control even though he is.

You do the leg work on two deals. And present him with three options.

Team A and here’s why they want you, Team B and here’s why they want you, option C, you’re leaving Toronto at the end of the year there’s no extension waiting for you
So we shop him around the league, letting everyone know we want him gone, therein lowering his value and get teams to agree on handshake deals that he can just say no to? Mkay

Reactions: Craig Button

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So we shop him around the league, letting everyone know we want him gone, therein lowering his value and get teams to agree on handshake deals that he can just say no to? Mkay

Where did I say you shop him around? You pick one or two teams with assets you want and focus on them. Where’d you get shop him around from?

Reactions: ToneDog

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Where did I say you shop him around? You pick one or two teams with assets you want and focus on them. Where’d you get shop him around from?
So you're assuming anyone you pick would want him? I don't see how anyone would want what he brings to the table mixed with his contract ask, his baggage (Paul/Agent) AND then be willing to part with significant assets to do it? I bet there isn't 10 teams in the league that would want him for half what we would expect in return.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So you're assuming anyone you pick would want him? I don't see how anyone would want what he brings to the table mixed with his contract ask, his baggage (Paul/Agent) AND then be willing to part with significant assets to do it? I bet there isn't 10 teams in the league that would want him for half what we would expect in return.
Tre is most likely not winning a Marner trade. Dubas had a deal done with Calgary before asking Kadri if he would waive to go there. He did not so they turned to Colorado. Let GMs know you are open to moving him and talk to interested GMs. If and when you have a deal, you tell Marner they are willing to sign him for $X and see if he is willing to waive. If not, you move on to the next highest bidder. If you run out of bidders, he is playing out the year. Good luck getting that 8th year via free agency.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

It’s not your job to convince him, you leave that to the team you want to trade him to. You allow them to talk to Mitch and convince him. Having the framework done is the most important part.

And you obviously don’t just pick any team. You pick a contender who’s willing to move assets for him. It’s not the leafs job to get Marner an extension with the deal. As long as he’s willing to move to the team for even one year that’s good enough.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
It’s not your job to convince him, you leave that to the team you want to trade him to. You allow them to talk to Mitch and convince him. Having the framework done is the most important part.

And you obviously don’t just pick any team. You pick a contender who’s willing to move assets for him. It’s not the leafs job to get Marner an extension with the deal. As long as he’s willing to move to the team for even one year that’s good enough.
[/QUOeffen EH,!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
At this point the league knows we're open to trading him. It's not a secret

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I recall when Babcock tried to implement a dump and chase system; the team quit on him and didn't wanna play that way. And people all over the net were kissing dubas' ass and "zone entries" and BS/60 stats.

I wonder if the same mob starts whining when Berube implements such a system from the get go; also I wonder whether the team will respond to such a system as a complete "buy in" or there will be whining like there was against babcock
Well, I think this core is on their 9th life. If they don’t listen to Berube? then inevitably it will be curtains for them. They won't survive another coaching change if they continue to lose in the 1st or 2nd round under Berube.
The Oracle on this board all but guaranteed the Bruins would lose to whatever team they faced in round #1. Ooops.
Let me take a wild stab in the dark as to who the Oracle is you're referring to.

"Evilhomer"? LMFAO

Last edited:

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
LOL for all the insight you pour on this website it’s crazy to me that you don’t understand the nuances of Marner’s contract.

1. He cannot sign a contract extension prior to July 1st.

2. He has a fcking NMC, Marner is gonna move when Marner is ready to move.

3. He has a huge bonus due on July 1st, no team is taking on his contract before that is paid by the leafs. Whoever gets him is looking forward to paying him less than $1,000,000 in real money for one season.

4. He carries a 10.9 cap hit, that deal is gonna take weeks or even months to sort out. It’s not NHL 24.

5. There’s a possibility the organization wants to keep him or maybe Berube wants to keep him.
You were doing so well right up until number 5. He gone, dude.

Reactions: thewave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad